PDA

View Full Version : Do water proof snuggly hoods exist?

Catg
21st November 2009, 12:26 PM
If zeb keeps grazing in the hedge he's going to lose his mane. I'm currently in the process of detangling his mane, it's worse than the pictures I posted the other night!

Can't remember who suggested a hood but I think it's my only option. Just worried about him getting a chill when it gets wet. I remember Vels mum having that problem.

Any ideas anyone? I'm getting desperate!

Cat x

XenaWarriorPrincess
21st November 2009, 12:34 PM
I bought one for anni and she was dry underneath it when it rained.

flipper
21st November 2009, 01:14 PM
Why don't you just get a neck cover that you attach to your rug?

nic
21st November 2009, 02:06 PM
Why don't you just get a neck cover that you attach to your rug?

because they can rub the mane out.

Im sure I saw an advert in the back of Horse and Hound mag advertising waterproof hoods....it doesnt have a website, was just a phone number...ill see if I can find it.

vels mum
21st November 2009, 02:15 PM
Will PM you the web address, Vel has one but I seldom use it on him. Its a large or I could have sold it to you! Would imagine Zebby boy is a Med.
It kept Vel dry to a certain extent but once I did find him damp under it but was after pretty heavy rain.

easyrider
21st November 2009, 06:13 PM
they do dry out and i found for keeping clean last year it was great..but if you use with a full or high neck rug it will rub the mane out....this year i am hanging on for a bit, i did ask the lady at YHL last week what i can do to try and prevent it, she said use a normal rug, spray the mane and the hood inside with show shine or similar and try and lay the mane flat, mine last year came out in chunks...no good if you want to plait

CityLights
22nd November 2009, 12:01 AM
yep you can get waterproof ones, Ollie wears one in the field not a water proof one though and he is no wetter or cold than if he wears a rug without a neck, doesnt seem to bother him at all

gemma1309
22nd November 2009, 10:54 AM
I had one until Sasha trashed it within one inch of her life and I swore by it in really heavy rain it did get rather damp but fries out quickly and is a god send for they damn tweezles I dont envy you brushing that out but know how you feel as out horses graze on a hill and are forever gettign them in tails (mountain and moorland tails really dont do well after brushing them out - but they never come in quite like your zeb lol. If I could afford another snuggy hood I would by one in a second I used to just put either a LW or Med neck cover on with it and never had a problem with rubbing as long as rug fitted. result being clean dry and free of tweezles