PDA

View Full Version : Insurance!! who's the best?

NuNu mum
24th November 2009, 08:16 AM
Anybody out there had trouble with insurance company's? I'm having a battle with mine at the moment, i had a lameness assesment carried out and the vet was unsure if it was the fore or hind legs that Sprite was lame on. I had Xray's done on both and they show two differant conditions, sheerd heels on the fore and arthritis in the hocks. the arthritis needs medication, bute etc, the sheerd heels need corective shoeing.
The insurance company ( bless them) now want me to pay two eccess payments because they say it's two seperate conditions. I have paid for the corrective shoeing myself and only want them to pay for the initial xray and lameness assesment and any on going treatment for sprite's arthritis.
Am I being stupid? It seems to me that they are quick enough to take your money and then try to wriggle out of everything when all you want is SOME of your money back.
I understand that Sprite has two seperate conditions, but I'm not asking them to pay for the treatment for the fore legs, just the examination and the treatment for the arthritis. Am I being unfair????

Welly
24th November 2009, 08:22 AM
Insurance companies are pains in the backside beyond belief, I should know, I work at a brokers lol! It DOES seem unfair but I very much doubt you'll be able to get out of paying the excess twice - there is so much small print with every policy sold that they have covered every angle they can to avoid paying unless its a black/white claim!

As for who's best - PetPlan every time - fantastic company - and no, I don't work for them (sadly) lol! xx

Alyria Leila
24th November 2009, 10:45 AM
i was told to aviod petplan!!!!

they are very expensive and i know 2 people who cannot get there money back one is for the death of the horse becuase it had a heart attack!!

i'm with SEIC or scottish equestrian insurance company! they have been really good. granted i've not had to claim anything from them yet but there prices have been brill!!

Rhi bee
24th November 2009, 10:54 AM
I am with NFU and in all fairness I had my payout within 2 weeks of Jack starting his Sarcoide Treatment. Was impressed with them.

Welly
24th November 2009, 01:13 PM
i was told to aviod petplan!!!!

they are very expensive and i know 2 people who cannot get there money back one is for the death of the horse becuase it had a heart attack!!

Obviously I can't comment on someone elses experience as I don't know the ins and outs of why they are not settling the claim but I've always insured with them for the various horses I've had and also for all our other animals and they have been absolutely second to none. A friend of ours had to have a lot of treatment on his miniture shetland, was back and forward to newmarket etc - within a matter of days after claim had been filed he had a cheque for a substantial sum from them, same when I've had to claim - always been very thorough and require lots of details but also very quick in settling.

Each to their own I guess, you'll always hear good and bad stories about all companies I guess xx

Tiaki
24th November 2009, 01:14 PM
I hate insurance I really do, just a nightmare. Not really got much advice but good luck in sorting it out :)

xxx

Tiaki
24th November 2009, 01:14 PM
I hate insurance I really do, just a nightmare. Not really got much advice but good luck in sorting it out :)

xxx

Alyria Leila
24th November 2009, 01:20 PM
its the same with everything i guess welly, every company has its lovers and its haters!! lol

i dont deal directly with my insurance anyway as my mums friend is a broker and does it all for me!

XxFudgexX
24th November 2009, 01:37 PM
Im with pet plan and have had no problems with them paying out , when Danny was poorly they paid almost 2000 for vet fees and then for loss of horse no problem, when I was getting quotes for Amy and Fudge they were half the price of nfu

Burnie
24th November 2009, 01:43 PM
Touch wood so far Pet Plan have been great, I've got an ongoing claim with them for Tilly's keratoma removal. The vets were really surprised when Pet Plan were prepared to pay the full cost of her MRI scan (about 1,200) as apparently not many insurers will do this!

NuNu mum
24th November 2009, 04:14 PM
thank you all for your advice/comments. I have Sprite with the NFU, they are a pain in the backside. Lucky for me I have my vet onside and she is going to contact them(if she can get thru) She thinks it is daft aswell!! Going to have a good look around at renewal time. and stuff the NFU.