PDA

View Full Version : Rider Insurance

Maria1986
29th November 2009, 05:06 PM
I share a horse and have her for half the week. We have a lit indoor school which is where I normally ride, however now I am starting to build my confidence with her we have been out on a short hack a few times.

I have read about rider insurance but I don't know if it is something I should have. The horse I ride is very good and looks after me but I have only been riding about 9 months so I am still very new to it.

Is it something I should get, is it something I should have always had (bit late now I know) or is it a waste of money?

silverbullet
29th November 2009, 05:18 PM
Nic on here who shares my boys is covered by my insurance policy but I know she also has her own riders insurance which is something from the BHS I think. I'm sure if she sees this she'll fill in the details.

But yes it is something you should have, I wouldn't let anyone share my horses without knowing that they had correct insurance.

Anni~Bell
29th November 2009, 05:31 PM
Would recommend it especially as you share :) Just incase something happened that way both you and yI have riding insurance with the BHS and it costs my mum 45 for the year but I am a junior. That covers everything :)

lilholley
29th November 2009, 09:02 PM
my sharers have always been covered on my horse insurance - it may be worth talking to your share horse's owner?

zoes87
9th December 2009, 12:32 AM
i have seperate rider insurance (although im covered on my horses insurance) and it's 8 a month ... so about 100 a year with petplan. It covers me for absolutely everything whether i'm riding monts or another horse. I would def get rider insurance if you're sharing as i'm not sure about all policies but you may not be covered under the horses.

Maria1986
10th December 2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about becoming a member of World Horse Welfare anyway, but if I go for the champion plus option I get public liability cover and personal accident cover. Do you think this is sufficient or should I go for a specific riders insurance. The big this is being covered riding any horse for me as I have now also been given the chance to ride another friends horse on occasions too.

casper_cb
23rd December 2009, 10:42 AM
I've got a health plan with AXA PPP Healthcare and they'll cover my medical costs due to a equine accident, I'm also with Combined so if I brake a bone they pay me a lump sum immediatly then a set amount weekly for every week I have a cast on or am unable to work, I also get money per night I have to stay in hospital. Then NFU will cover damage done to my horse. I'm also a member of BE, BSJA, BD and BHS so have 3rd party insurance to cover damage done by my horse to anyone/ anything else.