PDA

View Full Version : ideas on loading arthur???????

xgliskax
1st December 2009, 10:44 AM
:confused:hi guys, i dnt know if this in the right place(sorry if its not!)
right, once a week i try and take whnie to a local indoor arena so we can have some time to do some schooling, im going tonight and REALLY want to take arthur aswell, but the problem is he is scared of the trailer!!!!! I have onlty tried him once, but i knew he didnt lyk it.
so tnyt im going to see if i can persuade him to go in with whinnie(hopefully)
i think hes only scared due to how his old owners used to tow him, as when he came to me, he was scared on the trailer, but as soon as he came off, he was ok. i know this is a bit ov a pointless post but has anyone got any ideas of how to get him in?
if he wont go in its not a prob, i just know arthur would benefit from going!
plus if he wont go he can just stop at hme with beauty!
any ideas much appreciated!
thank u x

Alyria Leila
1st December 2009, 11:21 AM
you could try loading Whinnie first and see if he follow on behind or lead him in with food!

or try getting himj in first with the partition as wide as possible, with the front door open so he can see right through,

walk him up and pop a lunge rope around his bum and pull, sometimes if they think they cant go back they will go forwards!! this is how e load my mare into a trailer as she just reverses if she thinks thats and option but walks in perfectly with a luge rope round her bum.

just a few i'm sure someone else will have something more informative!! lol

xgliskax
1st December 2009, 05:02 PM
thank you guys!!!!!! loads of ideas for me to try, i know he has travelled a lot as he was county level showing last yr, and they used to travel a lot. ill try a few of the ideas tonite, i dont want to push him too much but at the same time i dont want him to just point blank say no! im hoping he myt follow whinnie in as she is v confident at loading!!!!!! and they get on really well x ill let you nknow how we get on!

CityLights
1st December 2009, 05:55 PM
bucket of feed and lots of patince, sometimes loading if the other horse is already on will give them a bit of a push to go in but at the same time it makes the area look much smaller and less inviting and also if the other horse doesnt wait patientyl can upset the horse you are trying to load.

my old horse wouldnt load once so we did lots of practice with a feed bucket, just one person and a long rope and a schooling whip she would just plant her self so we just gently tapped her on her side on whcihever side she decided to turn until she got that peed off with it she went it then we gave her something to eat and we did this for a few days and never ever had a problem again

xgliskax
1st December 2009, 11:32 PM
well, tonite i put whinnie in and jst let arthur have a look in, very calmly, we got him to the top of the ramp, and let hin stand there for round 5 min, we dint want to push him much more so took him off and praised him with his fav treat (jelly!) im going to take the trailer round to the field at weekend and spend some time with him on his own and without the partition etc to see if theres any way he myt be happier to go in!have a big bucket of jelly and take ift from there! im pleased anyway, we had him up thee ramp, he was nice and calm, so its a start...

Tiaki
2nd December 2009, 09:22 PM
I work with a lot of "problem loaders" and I always use clicker training to help them. Clicker Training is pure positive reinforcement. It takes time, patience, and calmness. Take it step by step depending on the horse.

I have had a huge success rate with clicker training and would recommend it to anyone. I would however strongly urge you to do some reading up on it first if you haven't done it before as in the wrong hands it can be detrimental

xxx

xgliskax
2nd December 2009, 10:58 PM
tiaki- that sounds good, is it hard to learn?