PDA

View Full Version : Towing vehicle, which one?

Tarka the horse
3rd December 2009, 01:05 AM
OK, So i'm fed up of having to rely on other people and services that dont compare with the UK, so I'm applying for a loan to get a 4x4 and a trailer (or float as they call them over here!)

Car prices here are insanely expensive compared to UK prices and I want to know I'm getting my money's worth.
What do you guys tow off?

OH wants me to get a Nissan Patrol, which I agree are GREAT towing cars, but I also need someting to get me to and from work and I think they're petrol guzzlers.
I'm looking at Pajeros and Challengers but he doens't like them.
In the UK I had a Diahatsu Fourtrak but they dont have them over here.

Apparently Land Rovers dont do too well over here and replacement costs of parts is really high.

Any ideas/thoughts from those in the know?
Also, I thought diesel was better but OH says petrol is just as good nowadays.

Hmmmmm...decisions decisions!!

Jess&polo
3rd December 2009, 10:30 AM
A long wheel base is better than a short wheeled base as they don't jack knife very well. Diesels use less fuel then petrol IMO but are more expensive on parts. Best thing to do is to look online for a part to see how expensive they are eg radiator for each 4x4 you like the look of & see how the price varies. My diesel defender that i had was very good on diesel as the previous owner had put the magnetic bands on the fuel pipes & it was getting about 30-35 miles to the gallon.

loubylou
3rd December 2009, 07:13 PM
I did a lot of research over here and found that the Kia Sorento came up trumps every time- has a good towing max and is also fairly economical to run- no more than a big people carrier, meant to be reliable and part are easy to source- they use another cars engine (cant think for the life of me what at the mo but Merc springs to mind.... prob wrong though!) and a cheaper initial buy- start at about 14,000 brand new here. Downside- they are still new so cant be bought that cheaply secondhand. It what I would buy if I could! Not sure if its one you can get over there, but if you can would seriously consider one!

beks the artist
3rd December 2009, 07:14 PM
What about a Subaru Forester turbo diesel? We are looking at buying one of these - that should curb Liam's Scooby love and help your 4x4 needs :) xx

Tarka the horse
3rd December 2009, 11:00 PM
But a Forster wouldn't have a very good towing capacity would it?? I'd like at least 2.5 tonne, preferably 3.

I had a Sorento in the Middle East but it couldn't pull anything more than a little garden trailer! That was Middle Eastern spec though so will have a look at Aussie spec.

Jess, I wouldn't dream of buying SWB, they dont have the towing capacity, and most importantly, they dont have enough room for all my stuff!!!

Savvy
7th December 2009, 12:41 PM
Don't know if you get Pathfinders over there? (Nissan) but thats what I use. Its huge, tows two heavy horses in a 510 with no trouble with a big pram and 2 horses worth of stuff in the car aswell! It is a brilliant towing car but.....the paperwork states it can reach an mpg of 28, the dial in mine only goes to 25! but it averages about 22....but it is mainly used for towing, I'm sure with a bit more normal use in the mix the average would increase, but its still not brilliant!

However as with most decent 4x4s its not very economical as a run around. Is it an option for you to buy a small lorry for horsey things and a small cheap run around car? Can work out a lot cheaper if you do a lot of miles of 'car usage' as opposed to towing

rockinghorse
19th December 2009, 10:30 PM
I did a fair bit of research into this before I bought my 4X4. Subaru have been voted 'best tow car' in the UK for a few years BUT that is for caravans NOT horse trailers.
I would get neddy weighed and the trailer weighed so you have an idea of what you are going to be pulling. If you only tow one horse and never two, you have more options.

It is important to do your research if you have a particular job for the vehicle.
These days no-one wants a 4X4 unless they need to tow, which makes it a great time to buy !!

Bay Chaos
20th December 2009, 12:06 AM
I tow with a Nissan x-trail. It has a 2 tonne towing capacity, which although isn't great is more than I need. But, the nissan is great, tows a dream and hardly know the trailer is on the back.

How heavy is the trailer and the horses?

hmmmm...... guess I'm voting for the nissan!

CityLights
20th December 2009, 07:12 AM
I think my uncle has a pajero and i dont like it its very odd, wehave a landcruiser and its great, we also had a few isuzu troopers whcih did very well and towed our equitrek and a large horse 600 kg no porblmes and had two horses in sometimes 600 & 450,

fougere
21st December 2009, 05:52 PM
I've towed horse and pony with my Subaru without a problem, although it was petrol and a bit thirsty. But when I shifted the horses over here from the UK I used our long wheelbase 2.5 litre diesel Transit van. A bit downmarket from posh 4X4's, but you wouldn't know you were pulling a trailer and they're econmical on fuel too.