PDA

View Full Version : Size of Cart?

Louise
3rd December 2009, 01:11 PM
OK quite simply put I know NOTHING about driving..

BUT

Since realising Tink isn't going to fit CJ forever and we are not selling her..then breaking her to drive seems like such a good idea..she is too young to just be a companion..

I have seen a cart advertised for sale..but its not got a size (do they have sizes?)

Tink is a 12hh Welshie..and they said its too big for their Shetty ..its a 2 wheel 2 seater 120

Waiting on pics so will see what its like..

Any advice at all???

My Crazy Clan
3rd December 2009, 03:42 PM
Most people advertise carts as 12hh to 13hh - 14hh to 15hh etc, some have adjustable shafts so might varie.

Sounds like your one is pony sized.

Poppy and Harmony
3rd December 2009, 07:51 PM
Too big for a shetty I would think be 11hh so too small for Tink.

Echo what Rhea says with them usually being advertised for a horse of certain height, however some are wrongly advertised as mine was (for a 14.2hh but really would only fit under 13hh)
The length of the shafts are important too because you don't want the horse too close to the front of the cart

Louise
3rd December 2009, 08:33 PM
But the shetland could be only 10h or something so it might fit Tink.. I could find out the size of the shetty and that might help

Poppy and Harmony
3rd December 2009, 09:55 PM
It depends how big it is for the shetty though.
You really don't want to be landing youself with a cart thats too small, they tip up when you use them...

If your going into this completely blind to driving then I recommend getting someone knowlegable to help you.

Louise
3rd December 2009, 11:59 PM
Getting someone knowledgable would be great..except I don't know anyone who knows anything about it..

We can take Tink to the cart and try her size wise if we decide to go and see it..is there not measurements that can be used?? You know like...for a 12hh horse you need a cart with 6ft poles and 3ft off the ground sort of thing???

I would assume the carts to fit 13-14hh would be a set size..

so I would also then assume that a smaller size horse would have smaller set size cart..

I mean how the hell are you meant to learn about things if there is no set size advice??

Poppy and Harmony
4th December 2009, 12:19 AM
The sizes vary alot in the shaft length even if they are set sizes.

Taking Tink to the cart would be ideal though especially if theres access to a driving roller that fits her so that you can get a very basic idea of where it will sit on her.
The seat needs to be level and no possibility of it tipping when extra weight is added

Poppy and Harmony
4th December 2009, 12:29 AM
I've just found some helpfull information on the old forums!

Someone said that they found a good way to find the right shaft length is to measure your pony from the point of shoulder to the point of buttocks and then add 15-18 inches onto that. They also said a standadised small pony cart has 60inch shafts

Louise
4th December 2009, 01:55 PM
So looking for this cart to have 60inch shafts..then?(providing Tink's measurements plus the 15-18inches isnt more than that?)

Poppy and Harmony
4th December 2009, 03:48 PM
Yes about that.

Biddy
29th December 2009, 04:40 PM
Soooo, did you try it? Did it fit? How is she in it?