PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for haylage?

ness
6th December 2009, 12:38 PM
For livery people:how much extra do you pay per week for ad lib haylage in the field? Also is it fair to pay the same amount for a small pony as a 17hh horse? thanks.

Lorraine
6th December 2009, 01:53 PM
Our yard puts hay in the field and splits the cost of the hay used between the number of horses and ponies in the field - so a person with a small pony would pay the same amount as a 17hh horse. They do the same with field licks - split the cost between the number of horses/ponies.

ness
6th December 2009, 02:41 PM
Our yard puts hay in the field and splits the cost of the hay used between the number of horses and ponies in the field - so a person with a small pony would pay the same amount as a 17hh horse. They do the same with field licks - split the cost between the number of horses/ponies.

I think that would be unfair-Bambi would only eat half of what some of the horses would eat! (if she can get near it at all):mad:

Zeitgeist Mom
6th December 2009, 02:55 PM
I think that would be unfair-Bambi would only eat half of what some of the horses would eat! (if she can get near it at all):mad:

I always found in my experience livery was generally one price for ponies, and one price for horses, which I think is more fair.

ness
6th December 2009, 03:07 PM
I do pay the same price for the livery as after all we still have a stable and grazing. However, its unfair to charge the same for the haylage, I think!
(The Y.O hasn't approached me yet, but I wanted to find out what was customary before I speak to her)

Maria
6th December 2009, 05:40 PM
A small pony isn't going to eat the same as a big horse, so I too think this is unfair. The yard I was at last year charged 10 a week haylage for ponies, 12 a week horses. It was meant to be an 'as much as they can eat' policy but turns out he only allowed people to give two haynets of haylage a day.
I'm finding hay and haylage to be quite pricey now, quite an increase in cost over a year or two. A small bale of hay is costing me 4. A bale of horsehage is nearly 7 at the tack shop.

ness
6th December 2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks Maria

Twizzel
6th December 2009, 08:11 PM
5pw is about the right charge for haylage IMO. It's hard to calculate how much a pony eats when it's ad lib in the field- we have one that will eat more haylage than a 17.2hh which is probably 3 times his size!!

If you're charging depending on the horse/pony, I think the only way you can do it is via haynets (i.e. 50p per haynet).

ness
6th December 2009, 11:02 PM
The haylage is put in a big rack in the field though!
If they only charge 5.00 I will be quite satisfied!

Twizzel
6th December 2009, 11:17 PM
Sorry misread your first post... how many bales are they going through per week/month? I think the only way to fairly price it is to split the cost equally, as you don't know who's eating what.

ness
7th December 2009, 12:15 AM
They are giant bales and everyone helps themselves for their haynets for their stables ,Twizzel. The haylage for that is included in my livery cost. Its hard to say how much they eat, but Kissie's net is jam packed full, Bambi's is about 3/4 full. but there is one guy who has a giant haynet-twice the size of Kissie's every night! So i don't think its fair for everyone to pay the same price!

Twizzel
7th December 2009, 02:13 PM
Does the guy's horse who has the huge haynet eat it all though? If so, it probably balances out the cost for the YO if there are smaller horses or ponies who eat less, hence why they charge a flat rate. If the guy is using a huge haynet and a lot is going to waste then I would say that's not fair.

We were talking about this at the yard the other day- since moving onto our own yard we're very careful about what haylage is wasted, any that is dropped from nets overnight is put back in providing it's not wet/mouldy and the horses eat it fine.

I think it's quite hard to charge for haylage on a livery yard, someone will always be annoyed at the price. At our old yard it was 5pw and we could have as much as we wanted provided it wasn't being wasted etc.

If you're not happy about the charge for haylage out in the field have you asked if you could section a bit of field off just for your 2 and buy in haylage to feed just for them? That could be another option.

coloredred
7th December 2009, 05:58 PM
When i was having haylage off my YO i was paying 40 per month for ad lib. Was the same for any size horse. Also some small ponies will eat more than 17hh horses lol.

My Crazy Clan
7th December 2009, 09:08 PM
But surly Bambi's haylage would last longer so this way your saving money?

ness
7th December 2009, 09:28 PM
But surly Bambi's haylage would last longer so this way your saving money?

Do you mean if our's are kept separate, Rhea? it's not up to me where they horse go!

My Crazy Clan
7th December 2009, 09:36 PM
Oh right, sorry I thought you pick it off the bales yourself, when you need it.

easyrider
7th December 2009, 11:17 PM
the ones i know charge the same, my 14.1 slow eater does not eat the same amount as my 14.3 cob/pig so i would not be happy paying the same as a 17hh large horse but they charge it...very unfair