PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Grass for Bedding; does anyone use it?

OzzieWelshie
8th December 2009, 02:28 PM
I was given 3 bags of elephant grass for bedding today, lucky me :)

Was wondering what experience people have had with this kind of bedding, in comparison to shavings or straw???

Im using shavings with rubber matting at the moment, for the first time, and honestly it stinks!!!! Only takes 2 mins to muck out though, so much quicker than straw. If the elephant grass is less stinky, and as easy to muck out I would definately consider using it, especially as its cheaper per bag than shavings! I spent 30 on a shavings fork just yesterday & not sure if it will work with the elephant grass or not... grr!

I fully intend to use my freebie along with my shavings, but opinions would be lovely :)

Thank you x

Jess&polo
8th December 2009, 03:21 PM
I've only used it once when i had to do a friends 3 horses that were deep littered. Personal i didn't like it as i prefur paper & cardboard. The beds didn't smell & she has 3 dirty geldings. It was quick & easy to use compared to straw. Only thing i found with it was it gets everywhere & how it got in my wellyboots i don't know. Shavings fork should be fine as i was using it when i did the boxes. My friends is very deep bedding & is on rubber mats.

Tiaki
8th December 2009, 03:23 PM
Honestly never heard of it being used for bedding. Learn something new everyday :lol:

Would be interested to hear how you get on :)

xxx

Teej
8th December 2009, 06:11 PM
Elephant grass....... in this country?? :shocked::shocked:

We use to have it freshly cut for bedding everyday when I was in Zim. The horses used to eat it so there wasn't much left of it in the mornings! :rolleyes:

Zeitgeist Mom
8th December 2009, 08:44 PM
Elephant grass....... in this country?? :shocked::shocked:

We use to have it freshly cut for bedding everyday when I was in Zim. The horses used to eat it so there wasn't much left of it in the mornings! :rolleyes:

That's just what I was thinking! Surely elephant grass in the UK is not elephant grass as we know it Tracey???

OzzieWelshie
8th December 2009, 10:05 PM
Put some down tonight, not much as I have rubber matting - dont know how well it will work but at least its a free experiment!! I have shavings banks and elephant grass in the middle! Seemed a bit dusty to me.... is that what its usually like?? x

Teej
8th December 2009, 10:41 PM
That's just what I was thinking! Surely elephant grass in the UK is not elephant grass as we know it Tracey???

I've tried googling it and the only pics I can find are what we know.....overgrown bush grass :) and it seems to grow here too. It has another name 'miscanthus'

You (well I :D ) learn something new every day !

loubylou
8th December 2009, 10:50 PM
How funny- I had never heard of this before until sunday when I rung up a part livery yard that used this as bedding!! She told me all about it, its 7.50 a bale here, but she thought she could prob get it cheaper, and each bale lasts approx a week.

As it was I didnt go to the yard but I spoke at lengths about the bedding as it sounded interesting, and may look into it in the future!