PDA

View Full Version : Why does she do this?

Roan Mare
16th December 2009, 10:24 AM
Ok so I got to the stables last night to find my friend waiting for me looking very unhappy.

Basically she went to bring the horses in a little while earlier.

Doris and her own horse Amber walked together over to the gate and my friend put a headcollar on Doris to bring her in. Doris then with no warning turned and double barrelled Amber.

The kick caught her in the back leg and I'm hoping to god that she's not going to be lame from it as my friend has had hell with this horse and lameness over the past 6 months :(

We could understand it if she had tried to bring Amber in before Doris** but she didn't, she knows Doris likes to come in first and was in the process of bringing her in.

Does anyone have any idea about why Dor would do this.

**Just for a bit of background, Doris expects to come in first. Please don't tell me that she needs to be taught that she has to wait. If I am there at bringing in time I will make sure that she does wait but because of my working patterns people normally want to bring there horses in when I'm still at work. I have told my friend that I feel that she should be made to wait but she said she doesn't want to risk injury to herself, her children or her horses therefore would rather just bring her in. I have to respect this :) x

XenaWarriorPrincess
16th December 2009, 11:21 AM
Yer i would have said dominance...fingers crossed the other mare isnt too sore today!
xx

Mobell
16th December 2009, 11:50 AM
We have a dominant gelding he normally doesn't want to come in first but he will attack the horse that is going out given half a chance. Hope she's okay.

Roan Mare
16th December 2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I guess that's just one of those things then?

Yeah I'm really hoping that Amber is ok today or my girlie will be very unpopular :( x

Roan Mare
16th December 2009, 11:52 AM
Sorry I don't have any real advice, I'm having similar issues myself, so don't think it's just your horses!!

Thank you so much :)

I was beginning to wonder... x

Zeitgeist Mom
16th December 2009, 02:06 PM
Our new pony is like that. They did warn me, but she is quite caniving about it. I agree that it could be a dominant mare thing. Certainly is with our pony. Kita adores her and follows her like a sick puppy. Despite the fact that she is getting double barrelled several times a day :(

Bethan
16th December 2009, 02:09 PM
She is just being a mare!!!!! My mare can sometimes be really stroppy and kick and barge the other horses out of the way. Its usually when she is hungry and wants to come in for her dinner!! Although all of the horses are used to her and tend to move out of her way!!!

Roan Mare
16th December 2009, 03:04 PM
She is just being a mare!!!!! My mare can sometimes be really stroppy and kick and barge the other horses out of the way. Its usually when she is hungry and wants to come in for her dinner!! Although all of the horses are used to her and tend to move out of her way!!!

lol, yeah Dor's usual field mates know to keep out of her way too. She wasn't in her usual field on this occassion, she kind of broke in!

Roan Mare
17th December 2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks Jane :)

I know it's just what horses do. It's just difficult not to feel guilty when friends are telling you about the resulting vets bills :(

Not on this occassion however. Amber is OK, phew :) x

Mobell
18th December 2009, 11:25 AM
I have mine at home but all three are together. As someone already said they have a pecking order and usually keep out of each others way. If they do get a bit boisterous when someone is coming out to work or when I'm bringing in at night I make myself look bigger, growl at the gelding who is usually the instigator and make him back away before it escalates. I have swung the lead rope around and shouted back before to him. Its easier when the animals are always together and you work with them to create a leadership so they don't invade your space unless you ask them. Not so easy to do if they are not your horses. I think obeying the pecking order and bringing the horses in, in that order is the best way forward whoever brings them in. I had my horse attacked when I rented a yard by a livery horse she bit my mare and tore some skin off her neck but that was over a fence. I'm afraid it happens and is part of having horses whether at livery or not. Glad that Amber is okay.