PDA

View Full Version : Dietary/maintenance requirments for a Standardbred?

Roo
19th December 2009, 03:15 PM
Can't find anything with the right infomation about what I'm after, he is 16.3 hands - my dad needs to know so we can sort out his food completley :)

- out from 8 till 4:30, in eating hay and a scoop of alpha a, hes still fresh.

He used to eat grass hay alpha a, and sugar beet
We cut out sugar beet slowley and cut down to one scoop of alpha a, hes quiet but hes still fresh, I want to only do light work on him.

Thingamyjig
19th December 2009, 03:30 PM
depends what he does, and how hes being kept, ie: stabled, part turnout, 24/7 turnout etc etc, clipped, rugged, naked.. you know the kind of thing i mean.

is he new to you, im assuming yes... can you find out what he is used to being fed, i wouldn't go changing his feed over night, if you are going to change it then do it gradually over a period of time...

have you some more info on him

xx

eeek
19th December 2009, 06:05 PM
I have a Standardbred too. He is 15hh and a good doer. Very happily living out with some sugarbeet, chaff, cool mix and garlic every day. I shall start feeding haylage next week as his weight is finally dropping now the grass has gone. He is fresh but I like him this way!

Most Standardbreds will need a fair bit of food if they are living out - less than a TB but a LOT more than a native. Of course it depends on the Standardbred, some will need twice as much as a TB who is a good doer.

Most people only feed their Standardbreds hay or haylage during the winter as that is their holiday and they aren't racing. I am feeding mine more because he gets a lot more work during the winter than most of his contemporaries.

Give us a bit more information and we can help more :)

CityLights
19th December 2009, 07:35 PM
if he is keeping well and isnt in much work at all then he doesnt need a feed, cut it out and save yourself some money

Tiaki
19th December 2009, 07:37 PM
I too have a Standardbred. He's 15.1hh and 17yrs old. Kiwi is a very poor doer and eats an absolute mountain of hard feed. He is incredibly sharp 99% of the time but if he wasn't he wouldn't be my big man :lol:

Kiwi is out during the day and in, rugged to the eyeballs at night. There is plenty of good grazing for him to have whilst out. He has about half a bale of hay when in overnight. Hard feed wise, he has the following per day, split into two feed;

x3 scoops of Dengie Hi Fi
x2 scoops of Barley

He also has 24/7 access to a broad spec vit and min lick which has added goodies to help with his arthritis.

xxx

Roo
19th December 2009, 07:48 PM
I have a Standardbred too. He is 15hh and a good doer. Very happily living out with some sugarbeet, chaff, cool mix and garlic every day. I shall start feeding haylage next week as his weight is finally dropping now the grass has gone. He is fresh but I like him this way!

Most Standardbreds will need a fair bit of food if they are living out - less than a TB but a LOT more than a native. Of course it depends on the Standardbred, some will need twice as much as a TB who is a good doer.

Most people only feed their Standardbreds hay or haylage during the winter as that is their holiday and they aren't racing. I am feeding mine more because he gets a lot more work during the winter than most of his contemporaries.

Give us a bit more information and we can help more :)

Well, I want to start graduly with him, first with walking, and then with a little bit of trotting etc.
my mums friend who rides race horses takes him out for 10 mile hacks once or twice a week, and my mum takes him out for a 2 mile hack everyother day ish. I do the same as my mum but now seem to have lost controll of him, after falling im quite nervos on him, and hes began to be a bit fresh. I can't blame him for me letting him take advantage but my mums friend says he is quite fresh. Normally he is a novice ride. And well we need to sort out his feed, will hay and grass be enough?

(my dad who has to feed his cattle asked me to find out standardbreds feed requirments as he does'nt think there are enough 'stuff' - i cant remember what- in hay and grass alone)

CityLights
19th December 2009, 08:29 PM
he should be fine on hay and grass if your bothered about vitamins and minerals then a mineral lick or a supplement in a tiny amount of feed will take care of that or a feed balancer such as top spec or local