PDA

View Full Version : Why did he do this?

north-mcqueen
22nd December 2009, 11:58 AM
So I was at work today, and in the morning i have to go clean all the watercups (they have those automatic ones that fill up when the horse drinks). Anyway, one of the livery horses was behaving a little strange. He's usually really sweet, very quiet, mostly doesn't bother to even look round when I go into his stable.
Today, however he came over. I said hi, and went to clean the watercup. I had my back to him, and after a moment or so he came up behind me, put his chin on my head (he's big- 17hh i'd say). Then he proceeded to- what i can only describe as- attempt to sink me to the ground. Basically pushed down on my head as hard as he could, and I mean, it was hard. I turned around and told him STOP IT, clapped my hands so he backed off. He moved away, but when I was leaving the stable he tried it again, this time on my shoulder. Again I scolded him and he backed off, looking very dejected and hurt.
Just a bad day?
It seemed really strange... to me, knowing how he is usually anyway. Just wondering if anyone knew why he'd do this? It doesn't worry me that he would've got me down or anything, I'm just interested in what would make him do that all of a sudden...

CityLights
22nd December 2009, 03:07 PM
one at work does that its jsut his way of like hugging you, he streches right out and rest his chin on you and puts all his weight on you, its not a nasty thing or anything i just put it down to him wanting attention

My Crazy Clan
22nd December 2009, 03:30 PM
Monty does this occasionally, I think its sorta like a hug, asking for attention etc.

coloredred
22nd December 2009, 05:00 PM
I haven't ridden or lunged Magic for a few days and he gets bored when i don't do anything with him, did the to me the other day asking for attention, i was bent down doing something and he rested his chin on my back, they don't actually push, their heads are just so heavy it feels like it.

fougere
22nd December 2009, 06:37 PM
He was just being friendly and cuddling you in a horsie way. It's bad enough when an 11.2hh donkey does it, but a 17hh horse is another matter!

vels mum
22nd December 2009, 06:40 PM
Ive never heard of that before, did he seem nasty in any way - facial expression???

Sounds like he may have just wanted a cuddle but I also would have been slightly intimidated by a 17h trying to sink me to the ground!

Lobelia Overhill
22nd December 2009, 06:49 PM
himself does that to me occasionally, I don't think he means anything nasty by it...

sazzy925
22nd December 2009, 07:44 PM
Some horses just seem to have days where they can be absolute tw*ts. There's a horse at my school, who some days can be lovely and well behaved and great to be around, and the next day stomp on a load of kid's feet and bite people.

north-mcqueen
23rd December 2009, 01:37 AM
Oh no i feel bad now if he was trying to be friendly! :P But even so he needs to learn not to do it, cause it blimming hurt.
I couldn't see his face because i had my back to him, but i don't think he looked peeved until i turned round and told him off! He's usually really sweet, so he probably WAS trying to be friendly!

Tiaki
23rd December 2009, 12:49 PM
It's nothing to worry about, it is a friendly expression wanting attention :) Not a good thing to encourage though as it does blooming well hurt :lol: If he does it again, just ask him to back away from you as opposed to tell him off :)

xxx

cuddie
23rd December 2009, 02:01 PM
Joe does it all the time, then he snorts down your ears. Which is fine for Joe as he's only 13.1, with a 17hh it will make a big difference!

north-mcqueen
23rd December 2009, 04:02 PM
Aw well I shall apologise to him for telling him off :p I've never had this happen until then, so i was like, huh? Good to know he's just friendly anyway :D

gemma1309
23rd December 2009, 11:29 PM
My Sasha big fiend does this every mornign when I put her Outdoor clothes on except she squeezes me in tight to her chest in a great big bear hug she started doing it 6 months ago (at a time we really bonded) I see it is a big horsey cuddle... for attention and possibly food of any description but that was just my view of it.

Chloe05
24th December 2009, 12:34 PM
although i know you had your back to him was it sort of like this..if you can imagine your turned the other way round....my mare used to do this when i went and sat in the feild and she was having a snooze, to be honest as others have said that they discourage it but to be honest i let my mare do it as she seemed to know how much to rest on me and if she got a little heavy i just had to move slightly and she'd lift her head.. i tell you since i lost my mare i miss the little things like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/gypsy02/IMAGE26.bmp

north-mcqueen
24th December 2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks.
Northy did this to me recently too and i knew that was affectionate, because he just rested there, it wasn't heavy. But this guy really pushed, and I had to push back to stop him shoving me downwards, now my shoulder is killing! I don't mind him doing it but not that hard. I guess he will learn, he's still young..

The Moog
1st January 2010, 10:00 PM
I've got a great photo somewhere of our old loan horse doing that to OH. He looks like he's wearing a horse-head hat!!! :lol:

Teej
1st January 2010, 11:59 PM
You did say in a previous post that the horses in Tokyo don't get any turnout so I expect it was just his way of 'asking' for attention.

zoes87
4th January 2010, 01:04 AM
Like others, i'm sure it's just friendly attention! Monts has had me in a head lock a few times but has never been nasty with it so i just take it as a hug since they can't exactly wrap their legs around in a hug! lol!!! :pmsl:

You've said he's young so it may just have been that hard as he doesn't realise humans can't take as much weight as say leaning on another horse!