PDA

View Full Version : What do people think about Norwegian Fjords?

north-mcqueen
26th December 2009, 04:01 PM
Really random, just wondered what people think.
I would love to get my own horse in the next few years (think i've waited long enough quite frankly), after I graduate and stuff. I don't know... I just really want a fjord! I like bombproof horses (can't be doing with spookers) but something forward- if that doesn't sound stupid:D I'm not big on jumping (though I can.. within reason!) and I don't do competitions, I just want to ride. I always imagined a Fjord would be the type of horse i'd like:p

I know its a really big generalisation because all horses are different, but generally :p whats people's impressions of fjords?

injioho
26th December 2009, 04:26 PM
love love love love LOVE them!!

Kelza
26th December 2009, 07:41 PM
There's one at my riding club and he looks awesome! I'd deffo get one if I could!

fairyfeet
26th December 2009, 07:50 PM
I love them, would have one like a shot!
Madison on her does all sorts of things, 'punky pony', try and read up about her exploits

CityLights
26th December 2009, 09:11 PM
Never had an expereince with one but i always wanted one when i was a little Kid, apprently they are very stubborn little horses but also quite versatile, i think they will become more popular though just like how the Haffy has started to become quite popular

chescar
26th December 2009, 09:14 PM
omeone on here has one but i cant remember who it is

Loony
26th December 2009, 10:55 PM
Boots on here has her Fjord girl, Madison. Or 'punky pony' as we call her! She did a photo post not too long ago.

As far as I know from when she posted a lot on FTHM, Madison is worth her weight in gold.

WeeB
27th December 2009, 02:32 PM
I rode a few when I worked at a trekking center. Loved all of them! But they were all totally different from each other (despite being father, daughter and son!) The dad was calm and forward going from what I rememeber. He was gelded late but I never experienced any stallion like tendancies from him although the owner said he had them! Daughter was lovely. Not a novice ride, very forward and spooky when the mood took her - which was often! She would leap from one side of the track to the other if there was a puddle in her way! lol! And the son I loved and wanted to take home! He wasnt as fast as the others but he was steady, and calm as anything. A little dim perhaps but just adorable!

piccolo
27th December 2009, 02:50 PM
I know what you mean about wanting one! From what i have heard, they are generally good little "horses". They certainly look strong though.:)

My Crazy Clan
27th December 2009, 03:46 PM
I absolutely love their manes!

fell lover
27th December 2009, 11:58 PM
Will be truthful - I have never met one and don't know anything about them.

Woudina
29th December 2009, 07:16 AM
I breed them. They are really sweet and love to work. They can be strong, but if you handle them with respect, they work hard for you. I never have problems with mine. But, they can be quite cheeky at times. Woudina has broken out of her stable many times, and I found her eating from the ponynuts. :D

Meg
29th December 2009, 08:54 AM
I have one and think they are amazing! I bought mine with no expectations as a just backed 4 yr old and she has proved to be the most versatile horse who will try her heart out for you. She has tons of character and will take advantage if you let her but as long as you're firm she respects you and her character is what makes her so special. Any questions just ask but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Osci
29th December 2009, 09:49 AM
I've always fancied having one but dont actually know any so no experience of them as a breed. Just always liked the look of them, they look like fun!

Tanner
29th December 2009, 02:08 PM
One of my favourite breeds. Any that I've known have been so eager to please and are quite versitile (there was one around here showing pony FEI dressage). I'd love to own one in the future.

gem
29th December 2009, 07:21 PM
They're so beautiful. I'd love to get one one day. I've heard they can be very solid and dependable and willing to turn their hooves to a lot. Madison on here seems to be able to do everything!

beks the artist
2nd January 2010, 08:59 PM
I adore them but have never actually met one in 'real life' mostly Welshies around here! LOL!

Welly
3rd January 2010, 07:05 PM
I've wanted one for as long as I can remember! Never had much to do with any really but from what I have seen they seem adorable and very versatile! xx

Jessica
11th January 2010, 01:38 PM
My mum tried to get me to buy one of these! lol

When she was young she learned to ride on one and loved him, and i did actually look at them as i like smaller horses but wanted a decent weight carrier as i could do with losing some (!!!) but they were SOOOO expensive for a well bred, registered horse.

catnritchie
2nd June 2010, 11:03 PM
I have just got one and shes a little superstar! She is keen to please, forward going but won't run off with you and is picking up some manners really quickly. She had been let off with quite a bit the past few months ("little madam" apparently ;)) But I've found her to be very good.

Only thing is she's quite strong but I feel safer on her than my big boy who isn't as strong. :)

rowy
3rd June 2010, 10:10 AM
we used to loan one. She was so sweet and great with such a personality.
Only problems we ever had with her is that her feet were AWFUL! always had problems with them. had to result to glue on shos and even these kept coming off. My sister couldn;t ride half the time cos she was lame on them which was the reason we gave her back.
also she was so strong and liked to bomb off. when she was on the way to the stable people had to jump out the way cos she wouldnt stop till she got her food :P

I'm sure all fjords are different though :D

north-mcqueen
3rd June 2010, 03:10 PM
Wow this thread is still going :D
Thanks everyone
I sooo want one!
Or a Haffy... or a Highland...

But knowing me i'll end up with something completely different :D

KitCat
5th June 2010, 07:19 PM
All my fav breeds :D