PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay?

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 02:13 AM
Hello, just wondering what people would be willing to pay for a pony like annie as i'm thinking about buying her in the summer if all stays well, i have her on full loan at the moment and get first refusal when she goes up for sale in the summer if anyone wanted her, which i won't let happen because if they do im going to turn around and go well actually i want her!! The only thing is, she is not going to come cheap. Please could you let me know what you would pay for her?

'Annie' aka Nanteglwys Myfanwy - 15hh 4yro registered welsh section D cob mare. Bay. Broken to ride and drive. Excellent temperament on the ground, very loving and sweet natured, easy to handle and patient. To ride she is very quiet, slow but can be forward going if you want her too. Not strong, bombproof. Has done endurance riding competitions before and is an all round pony. Would suit someone who would like to have fun and maybe do competitions with her if they like. If not, she would be very suitable for nervous/novice rider. Very good to catch, shoe and box.
Disadvantages - a little green when ridden as not had much schooling, only been used for hacking out and endurance riding and a bit of driving.
Broken in as a 4yro so not been backed long
Condition is quite poor at the moment but she is putting on weight quickly and filling out. Lacking muscle

However im sure by summer time the condition thing won't be a problem. I think she is going to be for sale at 2500. If i get saving the money isn't a problem but would be interested to see what you would pay for her. My friend bought a pony from this lady who was in the same state as annie and ridden wise too. She is now competiting in loads of competitions, her horse looks amazing and is super talented after being brought on, she was bought for 2500 but is now worth double that.

This is her now

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/Meesh_x/22247_234728117216_516132216_368622.jpg

This is the only condition sort of pic ive got of her at the mo
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/Meesh_x/SDC11009.jpg

how she can look
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/Meesh_x/anniewanny-1.jpg

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 02:30 AM
hmm shes going to be going for 2500, which im happy to pay for her as i haven't found a pony that im as suited to as much as her. Just didn't know wether people found it pricey because she was green or about right because in another way shes young and can be brought on as an all round pony with potential talent! It will be my first time buying if i decide to get her aswell! x

Loony
2nd January 2010, 02:45 AM
To be honest, I think thats FAR too much.. I was going to estimate at around 1400 :o

loubylou
2nd January 2010, 02:47 AM
I think thats a lot for her tbh- for 2500 I would want something that had done a bit more personally. I would say about 1800 esp at the moment!

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 02:48 AM
Well me too! At the most i thought 1800. I'm leaving it until summer to make the decision because my hearts ruling a lot at the moment but she is everything i'm looking for so it would leave me brasic but at least i'd know id got the horse i wanted... Hmm. Was looking at your posts though loony and you had posted some school masters for 2500 and annies like just a plod lol! x

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 03:06 AM
Please don't think i'm trying to make annie sound any better or that shes going to be the same horse as the one im going to mention but my friend who bought her horse connie from the same place, who is similiar to ann, like i say shes done wonders with her.. I only hope i could get annie going like she did connie. Maybe not to ride like her because shes a great rider and confident and im **** and nervous! Lol.

But when she got connie, she was poor and the same state as annie and had done exactly the same things, just plod and was nothing special yet she was bought for 2500 and shes now worth double! - I'm not saying cos she is annie will be but its nice that a story like that can come out of it :) Hope she doesn't mind me posting these pics but here is connie's before and after photo's...

Before:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/Meesh_x/conniepoor.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/Meesh_x/conniepoor2.jpg

and now, shes done wonders with her! God if only i could get annie going like this!
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/Meesh_x/carrieandconnie.jpg

wheeee
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/Meesh_x/connie.jpg

xx

loubylou
2nd January 2010, 03:28 AM
When did she buy her though- maybe the market was at a peak then?
Im not paying a great deal more than that for Uva, and shes a fairly well schooled fun ride, although not for novices, however I think its maybe a bit more than shes worth, but for the fact I have had her on loan for a while, I can pay in installments, and the owner is flexible I feel is worth a bit extra- I could spend a lot of money searching the country for a horse for less but by the time ive added time and effort, plus transport costs I think I am prob better off sticking with what I know!

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 03:35 AM
Aww yeah thats good that you can do that :) .. Hmm not sure shes owned her about a year and half? Sorry i have no experience in the horse pricing in the years gone what was low and what was high!!
I know what you mean about sticking with what you know, thats how i feel and im allowed to pay in installments too :) I would like the price to be considerably reduced! Because i would be the first to point out that i wouldn't price her at 2500!!
xx

helena
2nd January 2010, 07:37 AM
I would say about 1700 would be a fair price. One thing that would concern me is that a 4 year old should not really be doing endurance rides, especially not if they are in poor condition.
Someone I know bought a reg section D 6 year old for 2500 last year but he had already competed in SJ and showing and also was a novice ride.

beckon
2nd January 2010, 10:34 AM
problem is if the owner is a good seller there is every chance of getting 2500. Me personaly with the age, eperience and conditioning I would offer 1500 to 1800. I would like to think the owner would sell at a good price to you has you have been doing the hard work with the pony :)

the other thing is, do you know her history i.e. blood lines? if not for the competing side, just to know if there are any hereditory conditions you need to be aware of? what will you be doing with the pony - competing or hacking? all this I think would have bearing on what I would pay for a pony and what i would pay for this pony.

Hope this helps :cool:

CDR
2nd January 2010, 11:19 AM
I was thinking 2.5-3K as cobs seem to go for a lot more than TBs

CityLights
2nd January 2010, 12:23 PM
She isnt worht anywhere near 2500 and if someone pays that for her then they really are silly, i sold my section D who had done everythign and been on PC teams for 2500, there are loads out there for anyone wanting a section D, she is only young and hasnt done much of anything

not being rude but your friend was robbed! that horse was only a 1000 horse really its in such a poor state the seller should be ashamed you friend has done well to get it looking fit and haelthy nevremind the progress it has made under saddle

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 01:02 PM
helena - I think she was at her fitness peak when she was doing the endurance, they then found out they had bought her when she was in foal, so she had the foal and was left in the field doing nothing with 20 odd other horses for ages and then became in quite poor shape for the winter and no fitness! :(

Beckon - I'm hoping this will happen, because i really don't think shes worth 2500 just yet! She hasn't done alot like people have said and shes poor etc. I was going to offer 1800 at the most and see what would happen, after gaining some knowledge and advice from people i would then know what to say to get the pricing down! There is a lot of interest in her cobs and they usually go on to make fab all rounders for people. A couple haven't been so good, theres been the odd headcase (i,e my cousins pony emma!) - But shes calmed down a lot now with 1 on 1 attention and tlc :)
I would be wanting to do a bit of everything! Hacking, schooling and as far as competing goes probably a bit of clear round jumping at the local riding stables who hold them in the summer. She would not be bought for me for competition use :) I don't know her history that well, i need to research that. I've seen her bloodlines, she is a nanteglwys cob (If you put that in google they have a website, i've emailed them for info on her) and her dam is Nanteglwys Megan and sire Broadley Dynamite.

Smile and wave - I don't think your being rude at all, i think you have given your opinion which is what i wanted and it has really helped me. The more chance people can round me up to a money amount to pay for her, the more chance i have of getting the price down! I really appreciate everyones advice. :)

Yep, shes done brilliant getting that mare how she is and i bet it wasn't easy for her!

x

XenaWarriorPrincess
2nd January 2010, 01:09 PM
Im confused as to how she could have done endurance, driving ect, only be broken as a 4yo and then be in such a poor condition!?

I wouldnt pay any more than 1500 for her.

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 01:15 PM
When she was first broken in and was fit i think she went on a couple of endurance rides and then just hacked out alot at home, she is over priced as nothing as been done with her. She was broken in to drive and maybe in 'training' as had a little go at home in the carriage but wasn't right for the wedding carriage as she was too long and bigger than the other ponies which didn't make it look right or something? So she was offered on loan to me and i said yes i'd take her on because shes got an excellent temperament and is quiet/plod ride, which i am looking for.

I really want her but she is more money than shes worth, i'll have to go on an offer of 1500 in the summer, hopefully when shes going more and where doing a lot more together. If not i will bulk it too 1800. If she says 2500 i wouldn't know what to do because i am that silly person who would pay that silly amount for her because shes everything i was looking for in a horse. Oh i don't know what to do :( I know Ruth was strong when it came to not paying more for Hayfa but with Annie i don't think the owner would be bothered if i said no because there is interest for her and somebody else would pay that silly amount for her.

Rarr. Don't know what to do. Shall i just get saving and hold out till summer and see what happens? x

xgliskax
2nd January 2010, 01:28 PM
hi, havent read the other posts so sorry if im repeating!! during the summer, i sold my little 7yo 14.2cobx sec d for 2000, with tack. he was a dun with 4 white socks and was sold fit and already competing. i would pay in the region of 1000-1400 for annie as even though you think she is right for you, if yo really think about it, shes the opposite, shes young, green and not done much and as you said you are a nervous/novice rider who needs confidence. i hope this doesnt sound rude to you! my god, my cob wud have been perfect for you! the lady selling anni should be worried about selling her at 2500!! i didnt think id get what i got for cody!!!! nevermind 2500! lols hope this makes sense. good luck with your desicion x

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 01:34 PM
aww thank you :) Oh heck if i'd of known he probably would of been my type! Im sure hes gone to a good home though.
Haha yeah, i am pretty nervous at the moment, i've been riding for years so its not that i don't know how to handle/ride youngsters or ride properly or anything as i used to compete slightly back in the day but i've taken a confidence knock recently after i was galloped off with down a road with a TB! I shouldn't be using that as an excuse but my fear at the minute is a horse ******* off with me! Lol. I'm ok after about 10mins of being on board, i feel more settled and enjoy it, its just that first bit with me with getting on board etc. God im babbling! I know what you mean though, you've more a less hit the nail on the head :) Thank you xx

helena
2nd January 2010, 03:22 PM
From my previous valuation now knowing that she's had a foal as a 3 year old I would knock her price down even further, personally would actually probably not buy her knowing that and the fact that she's been ridden hard too young.

amandaco
2nd January 2010, 04:02 PM

xgliskax
2nd January 2010, 04:22 PM
he was great v cheeki, but safe as houses, i thought he had gone to a fab hme, they arent reali doing much with him, but hes a gd lad he will look afta himself! whatever decision you make im sure it will be for the best, keep me in mind tho, i may be putting one of mine out on loan nearer the summer??????? x

xgliskax
2nd January 2010, 04:23 PM
where bwts in lincolnshire are u?

chescar
2nd January 2010, 05:58 PM
She is worth what someone is willing to pay for her - sorry but its true.

I was offered 5,000 for Troy last year cos someone desperately wanted him and could afford that much

Loony
2nd January 2010, 06:00 PM
Was just coming back to say that!

At the end of the day, yes you should be logical and weigh up all the pros and cons. But if you feel safe on her, and you've bonded with her, why shouldn't she be worth 2.5k? Its hard to find a safe, reliable horse nowadays.

My Crazy Clan
2nd January 2010, 06:06 PM
I think she is worth 1000 with just the driving, if shes pretty good at it.
Shes reg, a good height, not to bad age wise.

I think if she get out about this summer, gets a lot more work, fitting up etc she would be worth at least 2000.

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 06:36 PM
Thank you everyone once again.

She isn't worth 2500 but to me shes worth a million! However i WILL fight my hardest to get the price down, theres no harm in trying, surely? I can only wait until summer.

Emmalou and Jane - Your posts made me smile :) - Not because i'm fooling myself that shes worth 2500 but because i have such a strong bond with her, i get on her and i feel safe, im having fun riding again! Thats what i was looking for?! Shes probably not had the best start to life, but she hasn't been abused i wouldn't say (not that anyones suggesting that of course!) But i want to give her the life she deserves, shes helped me and shes helping me get my confidence back. I know in the summer, shes going to be fit and probably a bit more hardwork but i'm preparing myself for it. Today, she made me smile, shes got a new field mate and she wouldn't let him near me she kept nuzzling me and when he came over chased him away and then trotted up to me again with her ears pricked just nuzzling into my arms and sniffing my face... aww she melts me lol.

So goal for 2010 - Get the price down to 1500?! hehe x

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 06:39 PM
xgliskax - Forgot to say, i'm in Grimsby. Do you know where that is? North east lincs.
Bless him, as long as there looking after him thats the main thing but it is a shame when there wasted x x

My Crazy Clan
2nd January 2010, 06:45 PM
Your right there is no harm in asking:) In a few years time when you have giving her the best experiences she will be worth more then the asking price anyway, if your willing to put the work in she is priceless.

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 06:47 PM
Rhea your reply is what i really want to do :) - I don't want to have to pay 2500 for her but at the end of the day if shes the horse for me and i have too then it will make me more ambitious to put all that work in to make her be as worth as her asking price or more. I want to bring her on, sort of a project for me? She will probably have a home for life though but i want to see how far we can both get together, what we can achieve. Its almost a bit like a dream but one that im willing to work at to come true :)

xx

beckon
2nd January 2010, 07:06 PM
why are you waiting until the summer?

I realise that you want the best for this pony (which is brilliant) but any work you do with her until then just adds value for the owner just making it easier for her to get what she is asking for. If you are a position to do so I would make an offer sooner rather than later using the winter months as your advantage to talk her into selling now.

as with getting the price down, just be confident and talk to the ower about all the points people have pointed out like she hasnt done much competitive wise and that she has had a foal at three and the fact that she is a bit on the long side for driving. If you can afford 1800 go in at 1500 knowing that she is going to ask for a bit more then you should be able to come to a compremise at 1800 (that is what i would try). Be cheeky when buying, with the current climate with regards to the recession horses is a buyers market at the moment.

one more tip - just be aware its the oldest trick in the book when a seller tells a prospective buyer that there is someone else interested in the same pony - it puts pressure on the prospective buyer into panic buying :)

Pie_x
2nd January 2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah thats true so i'm going to be doing all the work really for her benefit aren't i!

Summer because thats when she will be officially for sale, i have first refusal etc. I bet any money she would let me buy her now and take her off her hands, i just was thinking about waiting until summer because it gives me a chance to save more money and then half a year later still know wether i deffinatley want her or not :) - But i see your point because yes i will be putting the work in and i can't argue then that shes not going to be worth 2500! Heckk. Its tough.
I might wait until something like march then? God i wish someone could take my place in talking the price down because i'm so soft i can't argue my point unless someone ****** me off and i don't like saying no to people when there pushy. If i want her and for the price shes worth which should be 1500 then i suppose im just gonna have to toughen up and do it!
x

xgliskax
3rd January 2010, 01:16 AM
yeah i know where that is, supose yor not too far away haha!

Pie_x
3rd January 2010, 01:19 AM
Not really, only 40mins from Hull and im guessing your near that way on?? Lol x

xgliskax
3rd January 2010, 01:45 AM
yeah kinda im in doncaster x

Pie_x
3rd January 2010, 02:22 AM
oh yeah one of my friend lives in barnsley x

xgliskax
3rd January 2010, 06:35 PM
cool, my fella is frm barnsley!!!!its a small world!

Pie_x
3rd January 2010, 07:23 PM
Hahaa really? It suree is :P x

so-n-so
4th January 2010, 04:26 PM
pie - i really feel angry on behalf of you!

this owner gave you annie in POOR condition on loan... only just been ridden etc..

your putting in so much time, effort and not to mention ALOT OF MONEY!

Surely after all time, money and feed getting annie better then the scrap of a pony she was you should get offered her at NO MORE them 1500!!

if she wont move on the price - reall untill then i would do as little as possible riding wise with her as you really are just doing her dirty work and her benafiting from all your time... :mad:

Pie_x
4th January 2010, 08:08 PM
Ahh i no, when will i learn? I just love the little mare so much and want to give her a good life. I no in the long term it will break me because your absolutley right, i am doing everything for her. I really am going to fight to get the price down, I think i have a chance. Apparently she was over heared saying she wants to sell annie to me, i can pay in installments for aslong as i want and that she hasn't thought of a 'price' yet but it won't quite be on the 2500 mark. Thats good news, but she still isn't worth the 2k so now ive really gotta fight on my hands too push it down! Arghh. x

so-n-so
5th January 2010, 01:47 PM
not been nosy but do you have any money now? i would say i want her now, i will give you **** blah blah for her... tell her she would have the chance to buy her back if you ever had to sell her - for the price you got her at... ;) see where im going with this.. she may have it in her head she could then sell her on for more if you ever gave her first refusal.....

eeek
5th January 2010, 02:53 PM
Completely agree with So-And-So.

Please be very wary of people who sell horses. Now I know many of them are totally decent people. But equally, many of them exploit the fact they get free labour from people like you. Many people have no scruples about loaning/lending a horse to people like you and me, 'out of the kindness of their hearts', and as soon as the horse is going well they will sell to the first person who comes along with the cash. But they will be kind enough to lend you a replacement horse, to soak up your blood, tears and hard earned cash, until another buyer comes along.

Be careful. I find a lot of people who own more horses than they know what to do with are VERY EXPERIENCED at swindling young, helpful, kind hearted people. They have to be.

Pie_x
5th January 2010, 09:03 PM
No Sovereign you was great! I know exactly what you mean :) Thats how I feel! But the sensible side of me knows shes far too much money but the other side of me is like you love this horse, you want this horse, you trust her and shes what your looking for, which is why she can swing me with this ridiculous price! - But I'm NOT giving up with out a fight, i want this pony and i want her CHEAP! Hehe. The owner isn't nasty, I know her horses are good because alot of people have bought from her and they've got fab allrounders but she is just very over priced and when they are not for sale and not doing anything they are left in the field doing nothing, hence the poor condition with Annie.

I hope so-n-so and eeek don't think bad of me for saying that! Cos i know your all trying to help me and i am totally siding with just about every single one of you whos said don't pay 2500 for her! I'm annoyed because your very much right, it is taking advantage of someone attatched to the pony, pulling on your heart strings because they know they can get away with selling over priced.. I think i've managed to get the price down to 2k now, she apparently said to my cousin she would sell @ that to me because my cousin spoke to her about how i felt re price etc, which is good so thats 500 knocked off but still need to work for the rest! I'd be happy if i get the price to 1800 - Even though thats still waaay over priced but its better than the first price. She also said i can pay in installments, how ever much i want a month, for aslong as i want etc.

so-n-so i do have money now but not enough to do that! Lol :( But I get your jist (sp?) & i'm liking it! I will have enough money to do that in a month or so's time and with this weather, doesn't look like i'm gunna be excercising annie anytime soon!!

x

so-n-so
6th January 2010, 10:11 AM
i dont think bad of you hun.. as i would be just like you, would pay whatever to get my horsie! :rolleyes:

i hope she does become yours soon tho.. :D

piccolo
6th January 2010, 11:43 AM
As she is not in "top" condition about 1,600, possibly:p

Pie_x
6th January 2010, 12:44 PM
Hehee thanks so-n-so :D x

Thanks piccolo! :)