PDA

View Full Version : hate or love arabian horses?

arablover
14th September 2009, 11:45 AM
do you hate or love arabian horses tell me why you hate or love them i love them:)

Kilota
14th September 2009, 11:50 AM
Love Love Love Love, lol.

I have always loved this breed and that was reinforced when I met up with a particular Arab gelding that I used to care for in the riding school I worked in.

I love the elegance of the breed, their refined looks and their somewhat aloof nature that some seem to have.

There is a quality about them that captured me from day one.

My Crazy Clan
14th September 2009, 11:51 AM
I never used to be a fan BUT I've changed my mind, I like that they are so elegant, very petite, pretty dished face, their presents is just beautiful, before I was ion to chunkier horses because thats what have but I would love a Arab.

Bek B
14th September 2009, 12:30 PM
My first experience of arabs was a grumpy chestnut one in a riding school. As a result I didn't warm to them.

However, my friend owns two and they're the sweetest natured horses and full of character (they have my friend wrapped around their hooves with their array of dramatic faces!). I am also fascinated by the way they move and how they seem to know how to use themselves more instictively than the cobs I'm used to.

So in short I am now a fan!

CityLights
14th September 2009, 12:46 PM
I always used to like them but there are so many crap ones about now that they just dont do it for me anymore, its also really tricky to find a good one that is ridden they so often are spoilt when they are put undersaddle you kind of loose all the beauty of them

I prefer part breds, we have a 75% arab stallion at work and he is just sweet as anything and can still look at beautiful as a pure bred but is a damn site easier to handle

Loony
14th September 2009, 01:33 PM
I love them because they're so elegant and beautiful (except ones with too much of a dished face), but I would never own one.

Bay Chaos
14th September 2009, 01:43 PM
Love Love Love Love Love!

Here are mine and my neice and nephews!

Dina (crabbet x russian)
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/bridie2006/DinaSept09025.jpg

Champ (breeding unknown, possibly crabbet)
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/bridie2006/All31652009011.jpg

Noty (polish)
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/bridie2006/photo1.jpg

Perky (polish, Noty's son)
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/bridie2006/All31652009057.jpg

Dashan (straight egyptian) - In foal to streem
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/bridie2006/All31652009212.jpg

Streem (Russian x )
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/bridie2006/079.jpg

arablover
14th September 2009, 01:52 PM
bay chaos, your arabians are lovely the shetland is cute too:)

helena
14th September 2009, 01:58 PM
I had a purebred crabbet mare by Bey Shaddow and her homebred anglo-arab son.
The mare was ride and drive and did all PC activities from dressage to games team. She was ace with kids - I learned to ride on her as a toddler. Her son was a stunner, a local show producer and judge was always on at us to sell him. They were the best natured and most intelligent horses I ever met.

This is her aged 26

(Image removed as larger than 800x600)

And her son aged 18

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d39/helenasarah/Simba1995.jpg

My next horse is going to be an arab, but you have to pick carefully as the were overbred in the 80's and there are still quite a few poor specimens about.

Zeitgeist Mom
14th September 2009, 03:18 PM
I'm the opposite of Rhea - I used to be a major fan, but now I don't really like them. My tastes have often changed over time, and I tend to be a major fan of whatever I currently own.

I have in the past owned an anglo arab (who was very much arab in every way) and loaned a pure arab. What I do like about them is that they are incredibly comfortable and have amazing stamina. A friend of mine used to call my anglo 'Duracell' because he could just keep on going and never break a sweat. They are also easy to keep, low maintenance and very hardy and healthy.

What I don't like is that they are simply a bit small for me. And they all seem to have explosive moments when you least expect them! Being so gymnastic, their bucks can be ****** hard to sit!

xsarahx
14th September 2009, 03:31 PM
i love em!!!! :D

i love how they look and there faces, absolutely gawgeous!!!!!
xx

Thingamyjig
14th September 2009, 03:39 PM
I used to not like them at all but that after meeting Osci's Oscar im a little bit in love with them now :D

ask my daughter what she thinks of Oscar ..lol

(sorry Jess, but Em is smitten, as you know)

Teej
14th September 2009, 05:27 PM
LOVE, Love, LOVE them ! Always have and always will :D

When we were looking to buy a horse nearly 3 years ago, I had planned to buy a purebred Arab and I searched for ages to find one over 15hh which is when I came across Baby (by accident!) ! She's a 15.2 Anglo Arab but registered as a PBA. Her sire was a purebred (Shalude - used to compete at a high level) and her dam was an unregistered Anglo Arab. Baby was the only horse we actually went to view..... all the way from Southampton to Essex!

She had been an overgrown pet and was quite a handful when we got her home. One of her field mates is a purebred Arab and I have often overheard people referring to her and Baby as the 'nutty Arabs' ! Completely unfounded but when you see them charging around the field...well floating really, tails up, manes flowing, they are a sight to behold :D and if that's considered nutty then so be it :lol: But then Chip my TB looks just like a Shagya Arab too :)

The pic of the Arab stallion is stunning by the way.... who is he?

Osci
14th September 2009, 05:31 PM
I love Arabs now :D. Never used to have a thing for them but rode a friends Arab mare as a teenager sometimes, that mare was dangerous in the stable & flighty to ride, i was never allowed to take her back to her stable block or turn her out without another person with me just in case as she was that bad. Then i brought Oscar & have been converted! He's an Anglo Arab X ? and is the most sweet natured horse you could ever hope to meet, very much a contrast to that mare. He is flighty when the mood takes him but never nasty, the occasional cheeky buck if he's really excited but he has really looked after me so far & saved me from hitting the deck when i really should have done on several occasions. I love the way he rides, his intelligence and how he never fails to surprise me or make me smile. :D I particularly love the way his tail goes right up & does windmills when he's very happy like when we gallop or SJ. LOL

Thanks Lib, yeah i know how much Em loves my boy, will know where to look if he goes missing! ;-)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/osci/Felsted%20Show/Felsted20-8-06123.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/osci/Sunnybrook%20Felsted/_MG_10161.jpg

gem
14th September 2009, 05:33 PM
I'm much more of a cob type person but having experienced the wonderful arabs in Dubai they do have a special place in my heart. I probably wouldn't buy one now, purely because I'd always choose something chunkier and more hardy, although I know arabs are pretty tough cookies. I love how the vast majority I've come into contact with are SO trusting once you've formed a bond with them. I'll never forget the experience I had with Dahlia - going from only having a reverse gear to winning dressage competitions and jumping for fun :D I miss that pony sooo much.

flambards
14th September 2009, 06:52 PM
I like a lot of Arab crosses (Anglo-Arabs and Welsh X Arabs I'm especially fond of). I don't like the super-typey Arabs just because I'm scared I'll break them ;) But a nice, well put together Arabian is a pretty horse. And they're smart, which I like. I don't imagine I'd ever own a pure Arab, but I would be quite happy with a cross.

arablover
14th September 2009, 07:14 PM
TraceyJ, he's name is Jary el Jamaal:)

clippi
14th September 2009, 07:29 PM
Love them so full of character and very loving. I would definatly get another

Josie
14th September 2009, 07:56 PM
Love them, they're beautiful and I'd love to own one some day :)

sazzy925
14th September 2009, 08:11 PM
I'm a bit meh with them.
I don't hate them at all, but to me they just seem a bit too showy if that makes sense. They're pretty to look at, but to me they just don't seem to move that nicely - I way prefer movements of a cob when they're working properly.

Kelza
15th September 2009, 06:50 PM
Sulti is an arab and I love him to bits! I love the fact that they can be too clever for their own good. I think to ride any other horse now would be boring!

A pic of Sulti (bay) and Blue (grey) who's an anglo arab!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/kelzmoz/Sults3.jpg

arablover
15th September 2009, 07:00 PM
kelza, sulti is beautiful, is blue yours as well?

Loony
15th September 2009, 07:28 PM
Kelza I never thought of Sultan as a full arab, he looks a lot chunkier! I would buy an arab if they were as chunky as him. I'd be afraid of breaking any other! :lol:

chescar
15th September 2009, 07:47 PM
I only know one.
She has been backed - unsuccessfully 3 times, wont be in a field or stable block on her own or she throws herself on the floor.

Proper spoilt little brat. But - very beautiful to look at. Think she is egyptian?

Gillian
15th September 2009, 08:13 PM
I love them.

My first loan pony was part arab and the horse I regularly used at my riding school when I was learning was a chestnut arab.

When I bought my first horse I wanted an Arab but got a Thoroughbred who I still have, Now I probably love Thoroughbreds more....but still adore Arabs too, they're so beautiful and elegant.

loubylou
15th September 2009, 10:14 PM
Was never that fussed about them until I got Shantih on loan!! Then I bought Salsa, who although isnt officially an arab has 60% arab in her bloodlines

I am fussy with my arabs now- what i like/dont like but they are certainly one of my favourite breeds!!

lilholley
15th September 2009, 10:29 PM
I love them from afar - I can't think in particular that of one I've had any experience with, but I've always wanted one since I was little. They are just my type of horse, I'd want a smaller one though. I think Welsh x Arab is a nice cross too, feisty though!
xx

Charli
15th September 2009, 10:44 PM
I love them, I have grown up around them as my cousin had bred them for as long as I've been alive. I always wanted one then I bought Atiqa 3 years ago (Russian/Polish mostly I think) she is like my dream horse!! Typical Arab in some ways, she is very intelligent, sharp and spooky, but I love her to bits.

Susan
16th September 2009, 01:02 AM
I have loved them ever since reading the Jinny and Shantih series, ha!
There are some that I don't like, and I am not always keen on the way that they are shown, but in general I think they are fantastic, I would love to see more of them doing things as I know they are so versatile!

claire777
16th September 2009, 01:46 PM
Sorry they are not my cup of tea.

I don't hate them as all horses are beautiful in what ever shape or form they come in, but I'm a more Larger / chunkier horse breed fan.

Kelza
16th September 2009, 06:28 PM
kelza, sulti is beautiful, is blue yours as well?

I wish! He's his field mate and is the nicest horse I have ever ridden!

Kelza I never thought of Sultan as a full arab, he looks a lot chunkier! I would buy an arab if they were as chunky as him. I'd be afraid of breaking any other! :lol:

He's just a little fatty lol tbh his old owner was a old guy who weighed about 15 stone and he carried him alright.

Stacey
17th September 2009, 11:20 AM
I am not a fan, they are too slight for me, i prefer something with a bit of bone

xx

micki
17th September 2009, 01:16 PM
I love them but i don't own one as i go for the chunkier type.
I used to ride one when i was a kid and she was fantastic, so brave and fast. They are quite strong for such a slim built horse aswell.

beks the artist
17th September 2009, 05:17 PM
I adore Arabs! I would love to own another one day! x

Loony
17th September 2009, 06:04 PM
I wish! He's his field mate and is the nicest horse I have ever ridden!

He's just a little fatty lol tbh his old owner was a old guy who weighed about 15 stone and he carried him alright.

I think I'm just a softie!! :lol:

Puss in boots
26th September 2009, 08:08 PM
I think they are beautiful, a real work of art, but i prefer a sturdy type such as something cobby, welsh or irish :D

Welly
26th September 2009, 08:29 PM
Hate them! Too poncy for me! Give me a nice ID any day!

Off topic, I never knew you had kids Libs! xx

Emma C
21st October 2009, 02:58 PM
YAY!! :worship: LOVE ARABIANS :worship:

Heres my girly Eva,

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/emmaclark01/DSCF2751-1.jpg

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/emmaclark01/00IMG00026-20090731-1951-2.jpg

piccolo
21st October 2009, 05:00 PM
I do love them. However ones i have come into contact recently are really moody, although they might just be in season!

Laura T
21st October 2009, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't say I hate any breed but arabs are probably one of my least favourite, prefer something much chunkier like I.D or Cleveland Bays

Lobelia Overhill
21st October 2009, 10:47 PM
They had an Arab at the RS I used to go to years ago and I loved him, always wanted one of my own, but I grew to over 6ft tall and Arabs tend to be too small, although they are great weight carriers

Tiaki
22nd October 2009, 02:50 PM
I don't dislike any breed and hate any kind of stereotyping.

All horses are individual so whereas I may not click with one arab, doesn't mean I won't the next :)

xxx

Lucy
27th October 2009, 04:35 PM
As a young girl I always wanted an Arab!! I love the look of them and when I was trying horses out to buy I tried a chestnut mare that bolted off with me and I still wanted her haha! Never owned one but think I'd consider it.

Tarka the horse
29th October 2009, 10:40 AM
I LUUUUUUUUUURVE arabs!!! I miss my anglo, Shanti, so much. I've got TBs over here and would love to have another anglo - or get Shanti over here.

LastSerenade
29th October 2009, 07:13 PM
Love love love them, mine is a Crabbet Arab. He's got an amazing personality, he's so loving and a real people horse. He's fab with my nieces and my non horsey other half. I've known quite a few Arabs over the years and the only thing I would say is that they seem to be one person horses, they seem to like just the one person riding them and doing them daily etc, well that's what I've seen of the ones I've been around.