PDA

View Full Version : A horse that wont take a child to the top, but lovely wont sell... ideas?

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 03:19 PM
my friend has a 15.2hh, 14 year old (i think, maybe younger) horse for sale...
it really is a lovely first horse, for someone coming off ponies, but it will not go to open eventing/showjumping but did compete at pre-novice... do you think people would/should still be interested? she had some interest at the start but recently nothing... he is a lovely horse and would be a good mother/daughter share but a lot of children coming up want something which will go to open.
would you just put it down to a bad time? or people not interested as he wont take them to the top of PC...
he is a lovely horse, great at pre-novice/intermediate but open is just a step too far for him...

Horse Mad Mum
5th January 2010, 04:08 PM
aww poor boy give it time I am sure he will find a good home if I were looking for a first horse etc he would sound perfect to me ! HE will sell HMM X

beks the artist
5th January 2010, 04:20 PM
What do you mean by 'Open'? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought 'Open' was a terminology for RC / PC events - ie, 'Novice' at 2'6, 'Intermediate' at 2'9 and 'Open' at 3 to 3'3. 'Pre- Novice' is the terminology for Afiliated Eventing - ie - 'Pre Novice', 'Novice', 'Intermediate' and 'Advance'

Surely if the horse has competed at 'Pre-Novice' level this is just as good as the RC / PC 'Open' size?

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 04:24 PM
well a lot of our open (PC) xc courses are now run over novice BE courses.
PC competitions are normally less challenging, although now the XC are run over BE courses this has stepped up the standard.
Pre novice is not the same as PC open, obviously XC is different and PC open show jumping is bigger, slightly.
I think it used to be that open was similar in standard to pre-novice but now many of the competitions are run over BE courses this has changed.

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 04:25 PM
Also intermediate is 1.05m and open 1.10m-1.15m

beks the artist
5th January 2010, 04:28 PM
Hmmm different areas do different sizing I guess.

Thingamyjig
5th January 2010, 04:29 PM
not every child is interested in that, some just would love a pony/horse for other things... whats the price for the horse?

It is a bad time to sell right now as we all know, is it urgent that the horse is sold right now then?

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 04:35 PM
no, but hes very capable, and not a really a hack.
just found his ad. i think i know why hes not seeling- 10k :o
hes 11 years old, photo is fab of him, but still.
rider is going to work in austria skiing for this season, had sorted out someone to take horse, but now they can't and she is going to uni this sept...

Thingamyjig
5th January 2010, 04:38 PM
wheres the ad, can you post the ad number

piccolo
5th January 2010, 04:40 PM
10k-jeeze! Is he on horsemart? He sounds a nice horse but that is waaaay over priced!

CityLights
5th January 2010, 04:41 PM
Pre novice as in BE pre novice, isnt that the same height as open pony club so it shouldnt matter, there are also loads of people out there, smaller adults that would love a horse that would do pre novice

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 04:44 PM
horsequest= allrounders, very last horse, grey :)

CityLights
5th January 2010, 04:48 PM
I can't see any greys on Horsequest....

horse quest
allrounders section, under 16hh last advert on the page grey horse jumping a log fence over a ditch

that horse would easily do open pony club, its not that big and its not that tricky, the max height is only 1.15 a pre novice is 1m 15cm makes little to no difference to a horse

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 04:51 PM
well they did try and it struggled, and had 2 stops... and the rider tried a novice but retired aswell. pre novice record not great on the XC, few stops, but generally good...
you would think it would easily do open, but it wont, especially as a lot of our courses are run over BE open courses now. :/
and WD, it will compete, just not to the standard that people round us want to compete to.

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 04:55 PM
i don't know! this isn't my horse, she just asked me to ask you lot! :p
i don't want to say price! i bought mine 3 years ago for half that, who will go novice BE easily... so not sure why so expensive, but there we go!

Mungo Madness
5th January 2010, 05:03 PM
10k is pure pure madness. I know of a horse that jumped foxhunters, almost unlimited scope (the thing would just jump anything!) xc, sj anything. He was up for 9k.

Anni~Bell
5th January 2010, 05:38 PM
10k is definatly way tooooo much!
Also she needs to renew the add as there are over 1000 ads there and I know when I'm looking I give up after the first 100 or so, so being at the bottom won't be helping at all.

Welly
5th January 2010, 07:06 PM
10k - is this girl on something? I mean nice little horse but deffo not 10k's worth of nice!
Thats just silly money - especially in this climate - even for a 10k worth horse people aren't going to want to pay that much so for this particular horse, no way! xx

My Crazy Clan
5th January 2010, 07:12 PM
10K...Theres the problem.

Thingamyjig
5th January 2010, 07:15 PM
10K...Theres the problem.

:):pmsl: :p

Loony
5th January 2010, 07:52 PM
Yep, as Rhea says, there's your problem! FAR too overpriced.

Not being funny but not everyone wants to compete to that level. I'm a very competitive and passionnate rider but I have no interest in even going to LOCAL shows for fun!! So he won't not be selling because of that.

Tell her she's dreaming if she thinks she'll get 10k for him, especially with the credit crunch. If she wants him off her hands tell her to put him up for 3k and I'll be interested ;)

chescar
5th January 2010, 08:02 PM
10,000 ?:pmsl::pmsl::pmsl::pmsl::pmsl::pmsl:

piccolo
5th January 2010, 08:20 PM
Lovely horse, would be snapped up for 2,000 with that pic!

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 08:42 PM
i didn't know he was that price, am VERY schocked, like i said my horse was half that, but more scopey etc.
dunno why he is priced so high :o

Tiaki
5th January 2010, 08:47 PM
10K :O

Was she on acid or something when she submitted that advert?? Pure ****** madness!!

xxx

Anni~Bell
5th January 2010, 09:07 PM
You need to tell her GreyEventer that if she wants to sell it then she has to lower the price by at least 7k!

GreyEventer
5th January 2010, 09:39 PM
i think i might! because a) shes going skiing on thursday? or something, soon anyways...so really needs to go asap.
its a lovely little horse, like a big pony, nice to do and everything, but NOT worth 10k... i would say about 3k tbh. as it can't go to the top and doesn't have completley clean record...

CityLights
6th January 2010, 12:17 PM
I think personally a few years ago 10k is perfectly resonable for that level of horse, now if should be more like 6-8 but certianly not as low as 3

GreyEventer
6th January 2010, 08:45 PM
the other thing is hes quite ugly... well odd looking, and i know thats not everything to everyone, but at that price you would hope hed look half decent!
plus he hasn't done anything for the past year and is unfit/fat/hairy :p but thats because shes been busy with work etc.
will tell her maybe to go for 7/8k

GreyEventer
6th January 2010, 09:36 PM
true, but at that price for something with not a lot of talent in jumping, then looks would possibly attract showing etc.