PDA

View Full Version : INfo on Working hunter classes

Alyria Leila
5th January 2010, 11:04 PM
whats involved in a working hunter class?

I know there is a jumping part but is there also a showing part as such and does the judge always ride or just sometimes?

there is one i fancy having a go at in the summer but not realy done it before all info including tack and turnout of rider appreciated!!

Thanks
D :)

CityLights
6th January 2010, 12:11 PM
IM not 100% sure if judges ride workers, not done alot myself and i was always on ponies when i did and ponies dont get ridden

You first go in for the jumping section the jumps are often more like a XC course than a SJ, the courses are often not as windy but the fences can be trickier and more robust looking, sometimes you will get bulfinces and ditches and such, you also are expected to be in a more forward canter than you would when SJing

the judge not only judges you on weather you go clear they also award style marks, if you go clear you will go onto the ridden and in hand parts, but if the class is small even if you dont go clear you may progress onto the next part,

not sure about the part after the jumping sometimes you have to strip and sometimes you dont, basic show with a gallop conformation and such is assesed

claire777
6th January 2010, 02:10 PM
I did my first WH at a local riding club show in the summer.

First of all you have to do a round of Natural Rustic jumps and then clear rounds go through to the showing section.

Showing section the judge will pull you forward and then take a good look over your horse and then ask you to do a show (walk, trot and canter on both reins and if your ok to you ususally show an extended canter down one side of the arena, or basically push your horse on to a hunt pace and then pull them up)

Some of the more posher shows the horses will have to be untacked and also the judge will ride them but I doubt you will find this at local level.

I've PM'd you a great link which I used when I was running up to my 1st WH event last year

Here's a piccy of me and Finn from last year in our Showing gear
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs179.snc1/6731_119267482530_651317530_2866920_1172198_n.jpg

Alyria Leila
6th January 2010, 04:04 PM
thanks Guys!

:):)

Biddy
9th January 2010, 07:35 AM
From what I remember, the jumping part is also judged on style and what-have-you, so you need to go clear, but also in a nice, controlled but forward-going way. Some shows you're awarded points on your jumping, which you then carry on into the showing bit, which is mostly on paces and behaviour, with conformation important but not the most important bit, if that makes sense!

amandaxx1
11th January 2010, 02:30 PM
I think its a really fun class to do as you get to jump and do some ridden. Ive only done one but we didnt go clear so didnt get to do the ridden part

micki
13th January 2010, 01:35 PM
I entered a class once and Danser really didn't like one of the fences so didn't get into the ridden section of it. She was better at showing than jumping!!
They do look fun though. Good luck if you do one.

gemma1309
22nd January 2010, 06:33 AM
horses must be plaited and clean (unless M&M) tack must be clean and rider presented and turned out as well. (cream,beige,canary jods) shirt, stock and hacking jacket (patterned stock) and nice shiny boots. I use a cane but if using whip length is important.
horse tack either snaffle or pelham. martingales and boots can be worn in jumping phase but must be removed in showing phase. (remember hairnet if long hair)

will be asked to jump course of jumps and this me be done unlike show jumping calm, workmanlike you are judged on style, harmony, technique etc. if go clear then through to showing although in small classes may allow 4 faults to go through to showing.

Normally in showing phase the will have you all going round as a group walk trot and canter on both reins then pull you in to do an individual show or judge will ride. depends on the judge really I find in most cases pony classes do an individual show and in horse classes the judges ride, really depends if judge is suitable for class doing. i.e may be too tall/heavy for ponies.
If individual show then keep it short enough so they can't pick up horses flaws but not too short they don't remember you! walk, trot, canter on each rein and most will ask for a controlled gallop at end of individual show. They are looking at your horses manners in a big way here as a good hunter needs to have these as well as brakes lol.

if judge is riding she will put them through her paces and although them to go naturally, won't force an outline etc she will go on natural feel of the horse.

After individual show/judge riding you will be asked to strip your horse of its saddle 9good helper on hand with brushes to get rid of saddle marks (can have no numnah underneath or colour closest to horse numnah wise i.e bay-brown grey-white or if steel grey blackor white/) you will be asked to trot up your horse then stand it and they will assess horse conformation (allowed workign injuries) and still on manners they may ask questions age of horse etc? i always feel trot up is important so if your horse is not good at trotting up then practice as although its funny for spectators to watch you dragging horse about, not good from judges point of view. After this then tack back up and get on.

i was told from a WH judge friend of mine that everything from a judge point can be decided in first 30 secs of each section what they like and don't like, it is truely of judges preference at end of day.

Above all else SMILE and enjoy.

think i have covered everythign but there is probbaly more lol

sergio
22nd January 2010, 11:38 AM
You will find at bigger county shows you will have two judges, one does the riding the other conformation, and between them will come to a decision. Like Gemma1309 said, it is the judges preference at the end of the day. I have been to shows which my horse has won supreme, only to go to another and not win his class!!!! Good Luck

SmallHunter
22nd January 2010, 06:39 PM
You should wear a tie not a stock like you would for a normal hunter class and you are only allowed to remove boots between the jumping phase and show phase all other tack must remain the same.
You will probably be asked to gallop on the go round as well as the individual the steward will ask you to gallop on along one side.
The gallop is very important in ALL hunter classes and a good gallop can win you the class.