PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain this wierd behaviour??

OzzieWelshie
6th January 2010, 01:28 PM
We put our boys out today so they could stretch their legs for an hour (in the snow) while we mucked out. They were trotting around and then stopped & faced eachother head on, and then they both stretched their right front legs out, bent their left legs and lowered their heads to the ground and dropped their right shoulders. Then they started chewing eachothers right legs.
Now I would say they are trying to groom eachothers legs, but I have seen them do it before without the leg chewing. They just stand and bow. Its bizzare. I have never seen the other gelding who shares the field doing this, or any other horses ever, and I have known a lot of horses.
I really wish I had a photo, I even took my camera to the stables but didnt take it to the field!! Typical!
Can anyone shed any light on this?? I would love to know what they are thinking!!

CityLights
6th January 2010, 01:34 PM
They are just fighting, they are probably more frisky than usual with all the snow and not getting out the same, when horses fight they tend to go for legs and neck

OzzieWelshie
6th January 2010, 01:37 PM
Im pretty sure its not fighting they are calm and ears are forward and they stay like it for a few mins, perfectly still. Its difficult to explain! When they have finished they just wander off like normal, and we have never seen any other fighting between them.

OzzieWelshie
6th January 2010, 02:57 PM
My gelding is 5 and the other horse is 16, the older horse is definately the leader of our 'herd'. I wondered if it was to do with dominance/submission but they both seemed to do the same thing, symetrically, so wasnt really sure! As they are lowering their heads it looks as if they are both in submission to the other, dont really know though!
Its really lovely to see that sort of behaviour & interaction between them (and even better when you understand it)!

Catg
6th January 2010, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a bit of good old male bonding to me! x

My Crazy Clan
6th January 2010, 10:16 PM
I would say they are just being playful, I have seen my 2 go down on their knees etc.

Cavallo
1st February 2010, 11:37 AM
Just being horses and playing is what comes to mind. Nice to hear of such. Two horses relaxed with each other,messing around.