View Full Version : Advice wanted - Is it right time to enter Sasha in XC competition?
14th September 2009, 10:52 PM
ok! so I am a bit stuck at the minute. Was going to take Justin to the XC Championship in a months time but have decided not to as to be fair he is not that fit at the moment as been focusing a lot on Sasha and with the crap weather which has only turned good end of last week. Plus I really don't want to join BHS again until doing exams next year and for the championship I have to be a BHS member. A lot of money for one comp. So I have decided to do 2ft 6 Class on Sasha-I think. For anyone who doesn't know Sasha is my 7 yr Connemara 15.1hh mare who has been brought on slowly and just started jumping this year. She has already been to a XC practice (her 3 ever time of anyone jumping her - not on lunge) where we only planned jumping ditches and small logs she ended up jumping a log ditch log (V.Wiggly) ditches Tyres BArrells all about 2ft, was never spooky or anythign was really good. We have worked on her jumping (over showjumps and grid work) and she proves to love it jumping 2ft 6-2ft 9 happily at home although still very green round a course of showjumps. Will jump anything out hacking and takes you to a fence lovely I am just a bit worried that perhaps she is not ready for this. Or is it me making excuses. I reakon she will go well but Sasha who is normally well behaved and brave throws in the odd unexpected spook and can napp slightly bbtu easy to move on. Do you think it will be too much for her a novice 2ft 6 Cross country? Sorry to ramble I just don't want to rush her after bringing her on slowly in last 3 years and end up back at where I was many moons ago. But if I don't go out now when will I? If she was struggling round I would stop her or if I thought she was not enjoying it. I think the hardest thing will be leaving the start box and first few fences going away from horses. Is taht not juust typical of a youngster (even though she is 7) I think if she was quiet and settled she would go on and probably jump round without being eliminated plus she has never stopped with me on her back yet or at the xc practice. I guess I am just used to super pro J who is a whizz at XC but I remember what he was like when he first started - a nightmare but they all have to start off somewhere right? So questions are should I take Sash and just see how she is? Or wait until next year/hunting this winter? When is the right time. Again I apologise for this post but I really could do with some advice.
14th September 2009, 11:35 PM
How far away is the show (in terms of time)? Could you take her XC schooling over some bigger fences and see how she goes?
Is the 2'6 the smallest class?
Only you can decide as you know her best but it does seem a bit of a jump from 2' to 2'6 as she is green and you are being careful not to push her but then again if she is ready I don't see the harm in giving it a go and if it isn't going great to pull her up and call it a day
14th September 2009, 11:53 PM
If you cant xc school higher between now and then I'd poss be inclined to give it a miss. I like mine to be confidently jumping at least one or two classes higher at home than I ask her to compete at as shes just a baby really and I don't want to ruin her confidence, especially with solid fences.
If you can do some work with her at higher levels between now and then and all goes well then go for it!
15th September 2009, 02:56 PM
GO go go! I'd go!! My youngsters, I school them at home get them SJ happily over spooky fences then go out XC schooling. Then to a competition. Prince only schooled round one course, unflagged, tiny, then tootled off to his first XC party. 2'3", his next party was 2'6" - 2'9" ODE which he won, rather shocked as never SJ or dressage on grass before hand, then a 2'9 Hunter trial which he won too. I never expected to do well on him at his first parties. If your horse is bold and jumps when you ask, go for it. If it all feels wrong retire and have a nice little hack back to the lorry assuring her it's all OK, lots of pats, it's all learning.
I don't beleive in jumping or schooling at a hight much higher than you plan to compete at, keep things simple, get the horse confident at a hight, compete at it, and only once confident go bigger, why riskover jumping and scaring a horse. Schooling is in fact often a lot more tricky for a horse than a competition as adrenaline can really help the horse on the XC course and they get more and more confident the further the get round, XC schooling your always stopping and starting, competition expereice in my opinion if far better than schooling unless you have a specific problem.
I think you should go.
15th September 2009, 03:00 PM
Having just completed a 2'6 novice class last weekend for the 1st time with my horse I would be inclined to say are there any smaller classes which you could do seeing shes a green horse? If this is her first ever comp and she was mine I'd pop her round a 2' - 2'3 class to start with and just treat the competition as a schooling round.
If she flys that then you know next time you can try the bigger class.
At the end of the day you know your horse and I'm sure what you do will be fine, all the best :)
15th September 2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all your advice guys as always still abit undecided. Got schedule through today and technically Justin is not out of the 2ft 6 as he has never won over that height but regularly finishes 3rd and its only not eligible if finished 1st and 2nd over the height so I have another option. I have 4 weeks to get him fit he is halfway there lol lots of hill work lol but will enter Sash and if I don't think she is ready then I will take the J man and just leave Sash competing until next year after she been hunting over winter. I don't think she will struggle round 2ft 6 as been jumping 3ft-3ft 6 grids on the lunge and happy popping 2ft 6" at home (grids and courses inc fillers water etc) I want to get her out to something but appreciate its getting bit late in the year. There is a 2ft 3 XC on the 21st of this month but I can't get transport for this date which is a bit sickening or I would have taken her to that just see what happens between now and then but will keep you posted thanks for your advice x
15th September 2009, 03:40 PM
p.s the comp is in October so 4 weeks away yet... (evening Star)
16th September 2009, 02:20 AM
I think if you're confident in her ability to do it and shes happy jumping that height at home I think she should be fine.
Do you know the course? Are the jumps nice and inviting or are there a few scaries? If its a nice fun course that isn't all majorly up to height then I think you should be fine
25th September 2009, 02:55 PM
I would second Evening Star's opinion, if YOU are confident enough and you think that you'll be able to bolster Sasha's confidence then go for it but go with the intent of just giving her a good educational day, which I'm sure you would have anyway.
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.