PDA

View Full Version : how much is jake worth now, and when he's backed?

eeek
14th January 2010, 12:01 PM
Just wondering what he's worth at the moment because his owners will be selling him when I send him back, probably.

He's about 16hh, 4 years old Standardbred gelding.

Good things:
*very bold and curious, not afraid of much
*very friendly and affectionate - extremely difficult not to fall in love with but I'm trying so hard!
*happy to plod around the field with a rider on his back, and to accept a saddle
*apparently broken to drive but haven't tried it
*nice attitude - something spooked him when I was on him yesterday and he didn't panic, just had a little shy and then was immediately back to his usual self.

Bad things:
*some flaws with his legs (box foot, capped hock and a not particularly strong back end) which means he's not up for racing but would be fine for hacking, dressage, local level jumping etc
*2-minute attention span and mentally very immature
*was broken in by a notoriously harsh trainer so has a few issues eg. not liking bit (but we are getting round that with the help of golden syrup), and possibly other stuff too which we don't know about

Pics:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/vintagelobell/DSC00959.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/vintagelobell/PC030046.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/vintagelobell/PA080067.jpg

And how much would he be worth if he was hacking sensibly on the hill in walk and trot, and had reliable brakes and steering?

XenaWarriorPrincess
14th January 2010, 12:13 PM
Umm not much unbroken but possibly 1200 broken :/ im not very good with valuations but the capped hock would put me off.
Im probably way off :lol:

helena
14th January 2010, 12:23 PM
Unbroken, no more than 400. Broken and riding sensibly 1000 or thereabouts. Sadly the fact that he is a standardbred will put off those ignorant of the breeds qualities outside of racing.

eeek
14th January 2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks. So basically I have to get him riding nicely or he might end up dog meat!!

bimba
14th January 2010, 01:37 PM
I was going to say 500 unbroken and absolute max 1000 once he's ridden. Wish I could afford him, think he's gorgeous!

My Crazy Clan
14th January 2010, 03:48 PM
ditto above.

LadyV&Louise
14th January 2010, 04:01 PM
awww hes lovely

casper_cb
15th January 2010, 08:23 AM
If you can get him accepting the contact, he does not need to be round, just have his head steady, cantering on the correct leads, sploshing happily through water and popping teeny fences, 1ft is all you need, I recon you could get 1,500 for him.

Is he 4 as in turned 4 on January 1st, so is still really only 3?

micki
15th January 2010, 12:27 PM
I would say 1000-1500 max when ridden.
Personally i wouldn't touch him if he has a boxy foot. It puts stress on the ligaments. My mare has a boxy foot(it went very rapidly from a nice foot at 3 months old). At 12 years old she damaged a ligament out in the field and is only just coming back into work this year and she is nearly 19years old.
If he goes to someone just wanting to hack out then he'll probably be fine.

Aeia
16th January 2010, 05:58 PM
he looks very much like Neo.. even more than Vinny does. :)