PDA

View Full Version : Conformation critique please!

Loony
15th January 2010, 11:30 PM
http://www.pocketnookfarm.co.uk/images/com_jea/images/2/preview.jpg

:)

Poppy and Harmony
15th January 2010, 11:35 PM
To me, the overall picture looks very good and with my un-experienced eye I can't see anything major.

Her feet look a little boxy, but that could just be the photograph

nic
15th January 2010, 11:36 PM
:scared: Is this Tia? Shes LUSH!!!:D

Confo...bit dificult with bandages and a rider on, nothing really jumps out at me but her Off hind pastern looks a bit 'odd'...but that may be the way she is stood??!!

Loony
15th January 2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah it's not the best confo shot is it! Best I can come up with for now..

But yes thats Tia :D isn't she gorgeous.

bimba
15th January 2010, 11:49 PM
She's gorgeous!

I think she looks slightly long in the pasterns but nothing that would ring major alarm bells.

I'm guessing this is a potential horsey????

Loony
15th January 2010, 11:58 PM
She'll be the first one I go to see yup! :). Shes very local and she was the first one I spotted, and she's just stuck with me! Hopefully thats a good sign. so-and-so has been to the dealer recently and PM'd me to say she saw her in the field and she's very pretty. :)

It does say in the advert she may weave at a new yard, but she isn't stressy or a worrier, she just notices the change. That does concern me but it's something I'd have to quiz the dealer about when I'm there. Jo (chescar) is also good friends with the lady who runs the yard so we're hoping with Jo around she's more likely to give me blunt, honest answers.

Here's her jumping picture:
http://www.pocketnookfarm.co.uk/images/com_jea/images/2/secondary/preview/tia_jump.JPG

HHO like her!! And they're more likely to be straight-forward about it too so I'm pleased :)

Teej
16th January 2010, 01:23 AM
She's very pretty ! What breed is she?

merlyn26
16th January 2010, 06:51 AM
looks nice from pics but cant comment on conformation with rider and bandages also would want front and back views to see limb correctness from those angles too - personally the comment on weaving sounds a bit sus to me - if there are other horses at the yard you would be keeping her at i would avoid getting her as they could copy the behaviour and then you'd have a yard full of them - if you are at a livery check with the owner as many wont allow weavers at their yards.

Firefly
16th January 2010, 07:47 AM
She's a really nice looking horsey and from the one picture, to me, nothing stands out. I absoultely love her colouring. She has a cracking jump as well.

Obviously when you go and view her have a good look to see if there is anything that stands out to you.

When are you going to view her?

sparkey
16th January 2010, 08:15 AM
She looks great. I wouldn't worry about the weaving, as vices go it's not the worst and I think the tale about one horse passing it onto other horses has been disproven recently - could be wrong on that one.
Don't fall in love with the first one you see loon!

XenaWarriorPrincess
16th January 2010, 12:58 PM
I think she is stunning!
Ive heard the 'learning and copying' weaving thing is a load of bull too, i knew a bad weaver and he was stabled in view of all the others and not one copied him.
Eeee! Im so excited for you!
xxx

My Crazy Clan
16th January 2010, 01:11 PM
She is lovely and I think will suit you.

I can't see anything really wrong with her, she seems like she could be a good alrounder.
I don't think weaving its too much of a problem.

Loony
16th January 2010, 02:34 PM
Yay thanks guys :)

sparkey I am trying to avoid it! Obviously if she's unsuitable I won't hesitate to say no. But if she's everything I wanted, I'm not going to say no just because she's the first one I've seen, I'd be kicking myself if she sold!

Kate I'm ringing up on the 20th to see if she's still there, then will arrange it from there. :)

I'll definately check with my yard about the weaving, but to me it sounds like she only does it when there's a massive change to her routine, like moving yards. If thats true then it should only be a very, very occasional thing.

Loony
16th January 2010, 02:39 PM
Hmm. As some of you will know, I put the post up on HHO. A woman PM'd me asking if this was Misty from somewhere around Kent. So I said no it's a Tia from up North. So then she told me she'd been to see a Misty, and the seller was just rude and abusive, and wanted to warn me if it was the same one. Then she asked me in the next PM if she could see the video I mentioned on HHO, so I directed her to the ad and she's replied with:

"Hi, I have just found the advert for the horse. It is the same as the one I was looking at in October, exactly the same photo jumping.
If you would like I could scan the advert in to show you.
The horse still sounds sweet though and the only problem we had was the seller, however being a different seller you should not have this problem.
The only thing is, why is this horse who we were told as "going to a forever home" for sale again so quickly?"

nic
16th January 2010, 02:43 PM
Hmm. As some of you will know, I put the post up on HHO. A woman PM'd me asking if this was Misty from somewhere around Kent. So I said no it's a Tia from up North. So then she told me she'd been to see a Misty, and the seller was just rude and abusive, and wanted to warn me if it was the same one. Then she asked me in the next PM if she could see the video I mentioned on HHO, so I directed her to the ad and she's replied with:

"Hi, I have just found the advert for the horse. It is the same as the one I was looking at in October, exactly the same photo jumping.
If you would like I could scan the advert in to show you.
The horse still sounds sweet though and the only problem we had was the seller, however being a different seller you should not have this problem.
The only thing is, why is this horse who we were told as "going to a forever home" for sale again so quickly?"

My guess...dealer to dealer. ( or they had no money and had to sell the first disposable thing ie the horse)

It happens sadly, you get people saying they will give dobbin a home for life and maybe a few months or a year then sell on....Ive seen a few weeks and horses been sold on......Anyhoo....you have to go and look at the horse, if she isnt suitable, walk away.

Loony
16th January 2010, 02:53 PM
I will definately go and look, I'm just hoping it was something to do with financial circumstances and not a total nutcase after 2 days..

Don't you just hate when things aren't straight forward?? :lol:

What am I meant to do about finding a stable?? I've heard nothing from my yard yet regarding a stable. Should I look around elsewhere now, get quotes etc, go and see it? Or should I wait until I've found a horse and they've passed the vetting? Bearing in mind I'm in Manchester, it's not like "Oh I'll try this one down the road, then go and see that one up there, then cross over and see the one around the corner". There's very, very few yards.. and I don't drive. I'd need to be able to get a bus there.

Like someone said on HHO too, the advert doesn't even mention hacking, or what she's like to clip/shoe/box/bath.. I thought that was a must in adverts!!

The Little Magician
16th January 2010, 04:44 PM
There is something amiss with both of the pictures, on one her hind leg is light grey and the other is dark grey, then on the other it is the other way around. I am not doubting it is two horses, just possibly the picture reversed, possibly to make it look better,
Anyway, her conformation does look good except her two back legs from the pasterns down (admittedly it could be just the wat she is standing, but thought I would point it out so you could take extra notice when you do go and see her), I dont think her back feet are the same, one looks very long and slopping while the other looks quite upright. Well worth a check, and to pick her feet up and see what they are like from the underneath.

Loony
16th January 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks TLM. :)

What would that mean if one was upright and one was sloping? Would that seriously affect her or anything? Is that something that the farrier can ammend?

rowy
16th January 2010, 05:45 PM
She is very pretty and very correct conformationally! her body seems in proportion and limbs seem strong, good feet. How old is she? if I had to be picky I would say that a little extra width in quarters wouldn't go amiss or a little more slope in her shoulder but shes fine as she is plus probably not possible to get horse in perfect conformation lol :P shes lovely!!

CityLights
16th January 2010, 05:49 PM
Not got the biggest of shoulders but is a really smart nice type,

Loony
16th January 2010, 05:54 PM
She is very pretty and very correct conformationally! her body seems in proportion and limbs seem strong, good feet. How old is she? if I had to be picky I would say that a little extra width in quarters wouldn't go amiss or a little more slope in her shoulder but shes fine as she is plus probably not possible to get horse in perfect conformation lol :P shes lovely!!

Ah thank you :). She's 9.

chescar
16th January 2010, 06:43 PM
Check out merseyhorse - there is a lovely palomino mare on there in your price range

My Crazy Clan
16th January 2010, 07:00 PM
You never know untill you see her, although I would like to see the add if I was you.
As for hacking, make sure you do get to hack her out.

The Little Magician
16th January 2010, 10:33 PM
If the feet are of different lenghts or angle, it would make her unlevel, which could cause problems if you are requiring her to do a substantial amount of work. (Imagine trying to do something like running in shoes, in which one heel is half an inch longer than ther other, not only would it strain your legs, it will cause pain in your back).
If when you go and see her, and this is the case, I would take photos of it and talk to a farrier first before the vet. If you are still interested get her vetted, and bring it up in the conversation with the vet so he can explain any problems it might cause. (Unfortunately some vets will just point something out in a vetting, but not actually explain the consequences).

Aeia
16th January 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm sure there was a dapple grey called Tia on here before?

Loony
16th January 2010, 10:47 PM
I have mentioned her before Aeia, about 2-3 weeks ago?

Jo I was about to say the pally is the next one I want to see!! Lovely isn't she :)

Thanks TLM, thats a good idea about taking pictures and showing a farrier!

Loony
16th January 2010, 11:57 PM
Eeeee thank you tracy :D

Can't see from the pic Soph, she will have a full body inspection though!! :lol:

Don't worry, I don't want to buy the first horse I see. But most of that is because people will think I've rushed into it!! If there's anything wrong with her I'm just not comfortable with, then I'll say no. I'd just be letting myself down and reducing all my efforts to nothing if I accepted something that I knew deep down wasn't right for me. So I don't want to do that. But at the same time if she is perfect for me, then great!

Loony
17th January 2010, 12:18 AM

Biddy
17th January 2010, 07:29 AM
Weaving isn't an issue if it's just the head moving version, but some horses shift all of their weight from one foreleg to the other when weaving as well, which can cause stress to their legs. We had one in one racing yard I worked in years ago who had a little '3 step sideways dance' when he weaved - he could never keep racing plates on because of it. None of the other horses seemed to copy though, but weave bars just made him step back inside the stable to weave.
Other than that, she looks lovely - how old is she? And how big? I wouldn't worry too much if she's being sold by a dealer if they have only recently bought her - dealers do often turn them round in only a few months - but make sure you're satisfied with their story being honest.
Good luck!

casper_cb
17th January 2010, 10:59 AM
I don't understand the pictures, I sold Tia to that girl and she sold her onto a dealer two months later. As far as I am aware she is not the present owner of Tia.

I posted on your other post about her conformation wise.

I'll copy it to here, info about her:
"Who/ where/ what have I missed?!
I posted about the disgustingness of the girl I sold her too, more for the other pony she sold with Tia. http://www.equine-world.co.uk/horse-...ead.php?t=3752 Tia went to a dealer who I was aware was going to sell her on. The dealer phoned me to make sure Tia was not stolen as I was the last owner recorded in the passport. It turned out the dealer lived only just down the road where Tia was originally broken as a youngster. I'd seen she'd advertised her on Youtube as a horse for sale on her video page.

All I can say is Tia is a lovely horse, but weaves if aggitated, saing that we had her on box rest for 2 weeks with a abcess, and she stayed in for a 3rd and she was perfect, no other horses were on the yard during the day and she was fine. She's an angel to handle, loves cuddles, but you need to be confident with her. I never had a problem on the ground with her at all, but if your nervous she will take advantage, won't lift her feet, move over, she will dominate you. I never realised this till a timid friend tried to handle her. Butter wouldnt melt with me, cheeky with friend. To ride she was good on the flat, SJ and XC, she's not nappy but again you can't be nervous, she needs to be kept forward infront of the leg.

Sorry written an essay. She's a beautiful mare, did not matter if you rode her every day or once a week. As long as your confident she's an angel.
"
AND

"I am SOOOOOO confused, the pics on the confortmation post of Tia are pics with the girl riding that I sold Tia too. However the girl on Youtube advertsing and that has Tia as far as I am aware has long dark long hair and is not the same person as the pictures on the other post. And she's advertising of a video of me riding Tia that she stole off my youtube page.

As for conformation, it's good. Few non-consequential blemishes, capped hocks, one possibley with changes going on but never caused a problem, (need to x-ray to find out), one front foot is smaller than the other - never was a problem, wonky upper front tooth due to somersaulting onto it XC schooling and a very small pee sized sarcoid on her near side shoulder/ armpit area - again never caused a problem.

I sold her to a girl in kent and she should be Leicstershire (sp) way at he moment."

My blood's boiling as I don't like seeing old horses of mine messed about. I want to know where she is and what's happening to the poor mare. Who's got her? She's a lovely sensitive soal and being past from pillar to post will not do her any good. :(

casper_cb
17th January 2010, 11:03 AM
It's deffinatly Tia, you can see the sarcoid on the armpit area, that little dot of white, looks like a dust speck but it's not. :( So confuzzled.

sparkey
17th January 2010, 11:46 AM
Oh my gosh i can't believe that's your tia casper.

Loony
17th January 2010, 11:49 AM
Aw Caz :(

She's in Warrington, Pocket Nook Farm. Try and phone them up and see if they know whats happened. I don't understand why she's been passed around either.

If she's perfect for me you know she'll be with me for life in a good, loving home!!!

fell lover
17th January 2010, 09:12 PM
Loony, I really hope she ticks all your boxes!

zoes87
20th January 2010, 05:15 PM
*cough* loony *cough* its the 20th!!! :D

Loony
20th January 2010, 06:17 PM
Oh don't remind me :lol: Its too early still. There's still 11 days till the 1st.. I can't put off the viewing for 11 days!!!