PDA

View Full Version : Livery Yards near Salford, Manchester.

Loony
16th January 2010, 06:05 PM
I knew there's a few of us round this way.

gem
16th January 2010, 08:37 PM
There's Clifton House and Unity Brook (although Zahra said something about them not taking any more liveries on because of the pipe work), Wardley Grange Farm (near Walkden), Manchester Equestrian Centre. Manchester's a pretty crap place for livery, especially with no access to a car.

chescar
16th January 2010, 08:50 PM
Can you drive?

There are a few around swinton and worsley I think (or there was when I was a kid - that's where i grew up)

coloredred
16th January 2010, 09:54 PM
If you search on google maps a few come up further out but none actually that close to salford. I know loads of liveries around my way don't come up on google maps at all and i only found my current livery yard by driving past and then going in to see if they had space.

Ones that come up when you put in salford livery are ryders farm, wardley grange farm, ashton hall equestrain center and then some more that are slightly further out. Some have websites.

Anni~Bell
16th January 2010, 10:10 PM
Theres also the place where Mike rides but not sure how out of the way that is for you?

Loony
16th January 2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks gem, will search all them now. I did wonder about Unity Brook, but it didn't look very big to me so didn't think I'd have much chance. It would be IDEAL if I could get in there. By pipe work do you mean because it's freezing? Hopefully now it should be alright.

Whats it called Anni?

Jo can you remember what they're called? They'd be ideal.

Holly most of the livery yards here are really out of the way, so driving past any is quite a rare thing :(. I know of the other two, and will check Wardley out.

Anni~Bell
16th January 2010, 11:59 PM
John Shaw Equestrian Centre. DOes have a website as I was looking at it earlier but doesn't include livery prices on it :)

Loony
17th January 2010, 12:09 AM
Ah yeah thats the same as MEC isn't it. I've got that saved.

Anni~Bell
17th January 2010, 12:17 AM
I don't know :p I'm so useless :p

gem
17th January 2010, 12:21 AM
By pipe work I mean they've dug up the entire field :lol: You know what they're doing to Ryders? It's the same job but seemed to hit them worse. You could always go knock on the door and see though but don't know if they'll have any summer turnout, apparently the work is going on for 2yrs or something. MEC looks amaaazing, I'd love to be able to have Saf there. They have weekly clinics and competitions and stuff. I so wish I had a car :( Are you near any train stations? I could have a look and see if there are any places within reach of a quick train. That's what I ended up doing.

gem
17th January 2010, 12:31 AM
Forgot to say, to find my yard this time I went to googlemaps and zoomed in on Manchester then typed in 'farm'. Some obviously weren't farms (in the arndale centre...) but the ones that were I rang up asking if they did livery. I did the same with 'livery'. I found out how I'd get there though with gmpte routefinder so if it was within reach on public transport I gave them a ring. Not many did livery or had winter turnout (which was an absolute must for me) but everyone was very nice. There's a farm just off Slackey Brow too but no good for public transport.

Loony
17th January 2010, 01:00 AM
Ohhh I see :scared: Hmphh, okay then. Will ask anyway but won't hold much hope!

Thanks, will try that aswell. I did use a route planner, it wasn't the GMPTE one, for that Clifton one you mentioned. It said get on the 36, doesn't that take you past Ryders? Whereas the Clifton yard was actually on a different turn off before you get to Bolton Road. Or is it just the 8 that goes up past there?

The Clifton one though, distance and travel accessibility wise, is pretty perfect. Its like the same distance as Ryders, if you look on the map you just go diagonally for a few scrolls and you see Ryders. Have you been there by any chance? Its hard to see on the Satellite what it actually looks like, I'm hoping it's not too shoddy because it's doesn't look overly impressive on the map.

gem
17th January 2010, 01:23 AM
It's pretty smart. It's great for hacking because it's just by the entrance to the marina and Clifton show is in the nextdoor field. If you get the number 8 and get off by Clifton cricket club then turn right down the hill. Keep going til you see the railway bridge, go under it then you'll be in the right area. It's like a 5min walk if that. Pretty steep hill. Laura with Lady moved on there a year or so ago and loves it apparently. It's good for hacking if you don't want to go on the road.

chescar
17th January 2010, 11:44 AM
Your best bet is to drive round the area you are thinking of - look for somewhere with lots of hacking like worsley. My sister used to keep hers near the garden center in worsley, just off millionaires row. Don't know the name of it - it was donkeys years ago. Might not be there anymore.
She aslo kept one just off millionares row (the road between boothstown and worsley with the big houses on) it was down a lane on the right going towards boothstown.

The best place she kept them is now a housing estate, the one on the lancs between boothstown and worsley, near the big pub on the corner.

I do think driving round is your best bet. Lots of livery yards don't advertise or have websites - out of 10 yards near us, only one can you find in the phone book.

Loony
17th January 2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys. Gem I'll give Clifton a ring nearer the time, thank you!