PDA

View Full Version : Questions I would ask seller, what am I missing?

Loony
17th January 2010, 01:13 AM
I'm a dunce and if I didn't have this infront of me whilst I was on the phone, I would forget 80% of these. :lol:

Am I forgetting anything?

How are they to box? Do they travel well?
How are they to clip? Do they need sedation?
How are they to bath?
How are they for the vet/dentist?
How are they to shoe? Do they have fronts/full set/barefoot?
How are they to worm?
How are they in heavy traffic?
How do they behave alone, and in company?
Which bit are they ridden in? How are their brakes?
Have they ever been kicked/bitten other horses/people?
Are they turned out with mares/geldings/both?
What is their order in the herd? Are they dominant?
How are they to catch?
Are they spooky/sharp?
Do they live out or are they used to being stabled?
Are they a good doer or a poor doer?
How are they to be tacked up?
What are their manners like on the ground, in the stable?
Have they ever bucked/bolted/reared?
If applicable, are they ever mareish?
How long have you had the horse? Reasons for selling?
How would they react to not being ridden for a few days?
How are they to lead?
What are they like to ride? Suitable for novices?
If known, have they ever been lame in the past, why?
Do they have any blemishes, and where?

gem
17th January 2010, 01:19 AM
Good list!! I'd ask about lammi and whether they're a faddy eater/have any allergies and whether they need a certain type of bedding.

Evening Star
17th January 2010, 02:13 AM
What are they like to ride around other horses, do they get competitive and fizzy or just cruise along like normal- have they been in group lessons before?
What are they like to hack- can they go in any order (in front/behind etc) or do they have their place?
What are they like on the road?
What are their feet like (ofc you'll be able to check this out if you go see the horse but..)

Lorraine
17th January 2010, 07:38 AM
You can find a list of useful questions to ask at:
http://www.equine-world.co.uk/buying_horses/enquiring_horse_for_sale.htm

There is also some guidance about viewing a horse for sale at:
http://www.equine-world.co.uk/buying_horses/viewing_horse_for_sale.htm

Chloe05
17th January 2010, 07:03 PM
sorry not read any of the replies but lorraine's page guidelines are the one's i would use so as long as its ok with lorraine i would print these out and take them with you...i personally would take a note book with you so you can write the owners answers down so that if you go away you have something to refer back to and can use it for comparison..also recording your viewing will be beneficial as you can look back at it for the horses way of going and conformation reviews...also make sure that someone else rides the horse in question so you can see how it goes before you hop on. also another thing i would like to do is ask to try again in a few days time for a second viewing as some people can be down right sneeky and do alot to a horse to make it seem calmer e.g. sedation or dopeing..also ask to take the horse on a hack..if they refuse...simply end the viewing there and walk away...i would. another thing ask to see it being tacked up,even if already tacked up ask for it to be re-tacked up so that you know its ok with tack being taken on and off....

sorry i've written an essay here but if you would like more help feel free to pm me...

Chloe05
17th January 2010, 07:06 PM
oooh also ask about the horses current workload as a horse that has low fitness level may prove to much to handle when he/she is fit..

Loony
17th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Thats brilliant Chloe thank you :)

My Crazy Clan
17th January 2010, 07:32 PM
Ask for a trial.

What feed if any the horse is on.

Loony
17th January 2010, 07:38 PM
I'd probably ask that after they pass a vetting, plus sizes for tack and all that :)

Chloe05
17th January 2010, 08:21 PM
your welcome loony as i said feel free to ask any questions..no question is stupid or silly so ask away if you need to

easyrider
17th January 2010, 10:48 PM
when i bought my current horse, i never asked one question....i am shocked really, had i asked i would never have bought him, i didn't even go to look at him, i went with a friend to look for her and came back with him...madness really but never regretted it...well not now..dont be to tied up though as you may get a lot of negatvie answers and miss out on a fab horse, its all down to what you can deal with really

Lorraine
18th January 2010, 09:07 AM
sorry not read any of the replies but lorraine's page guidelines are the one's i would use so as long as its ok with lorraine i would print these out and take them with you
Yes it's fine to print off the pages and have with you when you ring or view a horse.

It's very easy when a seller starts telling you about a horse to forget half the questions you intended to ask (especially if you ask a question and the seller tries to avoid answering that question or steers the conversation in another direction) so it's a good idea to have a written list and tick each question as the seller answers it so that you can check over the list at the end to see if there is anything that you have forgotten to ask or felt wasn't answered fully by the seller and ask again for more detail.

zoes87
20th January 2010, 05:57 PM
ok, please don't laugh at me cause i don't know if it would be a problem up your part of the country but the first (if not only thing!) i asked about monts was . . . . wait for it . . . What's he like with flies!!! No joke, the amount of my friends who can't ride during the summer because their normally perfectly calm, laid back horses turn into complete uncontrollable ****** because of flies!!!

Monts will swish his tail, shake his head, occasionally kick under him or swing his head round to try & get them off his side, normal things like that & we've been known to come back from a ride with 30 crab flies under his tail & he's not made a fuss!
However, some of my friends only have to have 1 horse fly or crab fly land on them & that's it, they're bucking/rearing/spinning/going backwards etc and whatever you ask of them, makes no difference cause they have completely lost it over a fly!!!

Also, with regards to who it goes in the field with - if they say only mares/geldings ask why. Monts can't go in with mares cause he's slightly riggy. Other peoples geldings i've known can't go in with geldings cause they're constantly bullied etc so go in with the mares.
Also, field habits, like does he bully other horses (even if they aren't the leader), do they rip rugs/eat fences/ respect electric fencing.
Do they bang the door/box walk/weave/crib etc for any reason.
what's he like to school? He could be amazingly well schooled, do all the right stuff, but if you have to battle with him for half hour or so before he starts to go nicely it's good to know before you buy!! or maybe it's not.
What's he like to school with distractions going on around him? for instance, does he lose concentration if someone walks past the school?

Sorry, if i've repeated anyone elses answers, i couldn't remember what everyone had written!!

Sasca
20th January 2010, 06:12 PM
2 main things that i like to suggest as question are

1) how easy/expensive is he to keep condition weight on? some horse look fantastic but its a lot of fussing and a ton of food that does it…a heads up is nice. How cheap to keep basically.

2) i like this one…."on his worst day, whats the worst he could do?" No horse is perfect, every horse will have had a moment when they have spooked or tested the boundries or just had an off day. It would be unfair to then label that horse as a spooker or anything naughty because of a couple of bad days a year but it would still be nice to know what hid reaction is when he is upset. It puts the seller at ease to explain the situation knowing that you understand the horse isn't going to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. I want to tell buyers the things ive seen them do but i dont want to scare them off, so phrasing like this doesn't put sellers on the defensive. ITs stressful for them too!

Loony
20th January 2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks you two!! I like your last one Sasca, I was going to say something like "If you had to choose, what're 3 things that you would change about your horse", and I'll use yours too!

Sasca
20th January 2010, 08:04 PM
i know! talk about being scrutinised! thats why shetlands are so much more rewarding!

you have age, name, colour and general cutteness! easy! the buyer either tries to stuff it in the car there and then or turns around and walks away...

easyrider
20th January 2010, 08:09 PM
i am glad i didn't ask as i would have got either negative or lies and although its been a challenge i would not swop my horse at all..when hes good he's great...when he's naughty...well hold on tight!

CityLights
20th January 2010, 08:12 PM
i think they are pretty good questions really there isnt much other than that you need to know

are you tacking anyone with you to go look at horses? I would perhaps if you can take a knowledgeable friend with you if not to all of them once you have found one of two you really like take them to go look and have a more impartial view of the horse

one thing i would do though rather than just trust peoples words is have a really good poke and feel of the legs for any lumps splints hot bits and windgals, although some things arent majour problems its a good idea to check them out ask about them and maybe help bargain about a price if you want to i would also have them trotted up for you on a hard surface to see how they move, you can also see if they owner actually really does trust the horse at this point, if they dont trot it out well then they usually are scared of it,

i went to see a fab warmblood once that when i asked for it to be trotted up they did a half arsed about three steps and then stopped you could tell the girl was terrified of it and they were a dealers yard so should know how to show off a horse

also would not trust most peoples idea of what size saddle they are wearing most people dont know anyway and a lot of people have some damn poor fitting saddles

Belle
20th January 2010, 09:39 PM
Medical history - has ever been seen by the vet and what for
History of sweetitch

Loony
20th January 2010, 11:31 PM
I know I feel so awful asking so many questions, it sounds more like an interrogation!! I can't think of any other way of doing it though :lol:

When I was asking about Biddy's horse Boy, I even apologised to her for asking so many questions! You just have to though don't you.

gem
20th January 2010, 11:41 PM
Dumdeedumm...*cough*I'm free in for horse hunting in feb*cough* la la la..

:D

easyrider
20th January 2010, 11:52 PM
well i wish you luck as asking all those questions i doubt you will find a horse that ticks all the boxs and as Jane says its like an interrogation, you will probably put the sellers off too, there is no such thing as the perfect horse and you will have to accept that some answers may not be ideal but you may overlook so many good horses over trivial things, they are after all alive not stuffed toys, so what if it has an old splint or minor problems, or it spooks at water, its not the end of the world, i just think some of the questions are not important and some totally irrelevent...!

Loony
21st January 2010, 12:04 AM
You're more than welcome gem!!

Loony
21st January 2010, 12:10 AM
easyrider, I'm not a complete idiot you know. I obviously realise that no horse is perfect, and they will all surprise you at times. To me those questions are relevant, then I have a clear idea of everything. Of course I'm not going to turn a horse down for something like spooking or only going out with geldings and not a mixed herd.. Honestly I have a lot more common sense than that.

As for a seller being put off.. why would they? If they really care for the horse they will care about who the horse goes to.. and someone who asks for as much information as possible, takes an interest, and makes a sensible decision about the horse, isn't the wrong kind of buyer, but infact the right kind of buyer. I don't quite understand your reasoning behind that? I would hate for someone to turn up to view my horse, didn't ask me anything and just took them. I would never sell my horse to someone who didn't even see them either unless there was a hell of a good reason for it.

Good for you for not seeing a horse and ending up lucky. Not all the people who do that are so fortunate though, and I would rather not screw up a whole years worth of saving and planning just because I might have asked a few too many questions. Ridiculous.

Lorraine
21st January 2010, 09:16 AM
well i wish you luck as asking all those questions i doubt you will find a horse that ticks all the boxs and as Jane says its like an interrogation, you will probably put the sellers off too, there is no such thing as the perfect horse and you will have to accept that some answers may not be ideal but you may overlook so many good horses over trivial things, they are after all alive not stuffed toys, so what if it has an old splint or minor problems, or it spooks at water, its not the end of the world, i just think some of the questions are not important and some totally irrelevent...!
When asking questions a buyer isn't necessarily looking for "perfect answers" but answers that will help them determine if the horse is right for them/if they can cope with/accomodate the horse. For example, I'd always ask if a horse has any stable vices but it wouldn't put me off buying the horse if it did - but if I was on a yard that had no turnout over the winter meaning horses had to be stabled for most of the day for 2-4 months of the year it would make me maybe look at keeping it at another yard with all year turnout or if no other yards with all year turnout were available it would make me think that the home I could give the horse wouldn't be the best one for it.

Belle
21st January 2010, 07:11 PM

Surely its about informed decision making though !! What one owner may be able to manage another may not - I wouldn't be put off by someone asking me lots of questions I'd be more concerned if they didn't !!

Loony
21st January 2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you Belle!
Of course Jane I would not be throwing out the questions one after another, but trying to drop them into conversation..
And Lorraine, nicely put, exactly what I was thinking.

zoes87
21st January 2010, 08:46 PM
couldn't agree more with janes last post, most questions will be answered in general convo - but i completely agree with what you are doing by making a list (not that i did that! :lol:). You need to know what you want to come away from a viewing knowing and what you do with that information is irrelevant! Also, i think if the seller gets put off by someone asking questions, i'd be inclined to think they're hiding something! Granted, if they've had a lot of viewings and have had to repeatidly answer the same questions over and over it can get tiresome but it's better than to have someone who shows an interest and wants to know everything before spending thousands!

Taking me for example. I asked hardly anything with Monts, and sometimes, when we're having a bad day i think i should have asked and maybe that would have saved me having the bad day. But in reality, i would have still brought monts, the only difference would have been that maybe i'd have known he's stupidly spooky at silly things (or indeed invisible things!), or is extremely hard work to school properly, or will spin/rear/bolt/plant himself when he doesn't get ridden enough & gets bored etc.

You seem to have a sensible enough head on your shoulders to know what is vital information that could make or break a sale - vet history for example, from what is just information that is nice to know but won't make a difference to outcome. And the fact you're asking us for advice i think shows this! :)

Sasca
21st January 2010, 10:11 PM
I dont let a buyer take a horse without knowing every little detail about it that i can. If they dont ask something, i drop it in myself!

I like when they ask questions but its definatly how they are asked that makes the difference. I dont like feeling that me or my horse is being 'judged' in a over critical way. I like owners to come out with all their questions, even a written list, ask away with a smile but i have had some which just come on and scrutinise everything and look down on me and my horse, and when they ask questions, you go into defensive mode as you know they are trying to find a fault! I hate that!

Be yourself and smile! Act as if your meeting a friend of a friend and you'll have all the information handed to you on a plate. Anyone who goes with their nose stuck up i answer their questions asap and want them to leave!

Loony, you'll have no trouble getting the info you want, your friendly and bubbly with a good head and an honest buyer…thats all we want for our ponies!!! Just smile and laugh the whole way.

p.s. - i always give my email address out if the buyer has forgotten any questions they think of later. They might feel they are harrassing (even though they're not!) to ring and feel happier emailing. It might be something to mention and ask for if they dont offer. Ask at the end what the best way to ask more questions afterwards! you'll allways think of something you forgot! no matter how many are on the list! and one answer may lead to 5 more questions!

Loony
21st January 2010, 11:25 PM
Thank you guys! Yep I'm hoping they will answer most of these for me anyway :) but something like, are they in a mixed herd, wouldn't be something they would always bring up themselves, so it's nice to have a list so that you can see which ones haven't been answered.

I won't be taking the list on the day, most of those questions will be asked over the phone and dropped into conversation. It would definately feel too formal if I took a written list with me! The email address idea is a good one Sasca.

Don't worry, I know I've written a list, but I'll still be taking a laid-back outlook on it! It won't be all business talk :lol: I'd like the owner to really like me as a person too, that way they feel more comfortable selling to someone they like, so I'll be completely myself!

Well, maybe not COMPLETELY.. wouldn't want to scare them off!! :pmsl:

I'll be making sure the looking and viewing is a fun time, I know a lot of people hate it and just want to find one quickly!

Sasca
22nd January 2010, 07:28 PM
Shame a i cant get you into honey! would love a customer like yourself rather then some of the stuck up people ive had lately....

Loony
22nd January 2010, 07:41 PM
She's absolutely gorgeous Sasca, I think shes just too green though. I wanted a been there done that horse.

Oh I don't know, I'm thinking now!! :lol: How big is she and how old?

gem
22nd January 2010, 09:33 PM
If you got Honey she'd be with you like 24hrs then I'd nick her :lol: She's only diddy isn't she? Ahh I wish I had the money/time.

Sasca
22nd January 2010, 10:46 PM
ahhh if i tell you her hieght it will put you off!!! my 6ft sister rides her all the time (she stole her from me!) and rides her really well, she takes hieght well…:D

She's 6 this year but when your riding, she doesn't feel green except for the typical, little out of balance into canter etc. We've taken her on stormy beach rides and are going to show her if she sticks around long enough. Travels like a dream! She's just a lot of fun which is more then i can say for most of the rabble i get in. Its nice to just jump on something to clear your head rather then focus on if its going to do something.

Not that i want to tempt you of course;)….go find your boring TB! that'll be much better im sure hehe :p

Sasca
22nd January 2010, 10:47 PM
you could share her with gem!!!

gem
22nd January 2010, 11:22 PM
If you still have her in September and I have a graduate job then it'll take a man much stronger than my OH to stop me coming to get her :lol:

Loony
23rd January 2010, 11:26 PM
Ahhh that means she's a bit diddy then?? Its not that she wouldn't carry me, I suppose I'm shallow and don't want to look too big on something :o

Sasca
24th January 2010, 12:54 AM
oooh, its tempting to keep her just so you can have her! i really want to stay in touch with her, she's just too fab!