PDA

View Full Version : What's your definition of a smart /clever horse?

Catg
20th January 2010, 01:35 PM
I've always wondered whether Zebedee is as smart as I think him to be or whether I'm just toally biased!

For example if I'm trying to get him in and all the horses have come to the gate they will just stand in front of the gate whereas Zeb will squeeze through to the where the gate latch is so when I open the gate it pushes all the other horses backwards and lets Zeb through, he'll then just stop and wait for me to do the gate back up.

If there's a puddle in the road he will not walk through it for love nor money unless there is no other way to get to the otherside, then it's not a problem.

When the ground is icy or unlevel he pays particular attention to the ground and will choose the 'safest' point to walk on, he is very consious of spacial gaps and never stands on my feet or catches my knees on posts when we're riding.

Does that make him clever? :o What do you think of your horse/s?

Cat x

Roan Mare
21st January 2010, 03:54 PM
Ooh it's a difficult one, depends on how you define clever I guess.

I was having a similar debate with my uni lecturer about whether or not Dor was "intelligent" but he reckoned things like choosing the safest path and moving hell and high water to get food was simple instinct and not very clever at all :o

I think horses are not daft though and Dor never misses a trick.

At my old yard Dor used to make me laugh. I had her headcollar attached to a bar on the front of the stable door and when I came up in the mornings she used to pull it over into her stable if she thought I was not being quick enough to put her out :lol:

CityLights
21st January 2010, 07:03 PM
i think most horses are but they use it in a different way like my two Kizzie is really smart but she uses it to get out of doing things where as Ollie is very clever and willing to please but also becasue he is quite busy minded and worried he internalises it alot and has lots of odd vices

beks the artist
22nd January 2010, 11:00 AM
Jakes can open the stable bolt with his teeth - he even did it infront of myself and the farrier! He also worked out how to un-do the gate (we have now put on a 'horse proof' tie) He is a quick learner in the school however his lazy and stubburn attitude gets in the way sometimes.

Taran is quick with picing up new ridden excersizes and remembers them but he is a worrier and can be quite sharp, especially when jumping!!

Catg
22nd January 2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for your replies guys, Roan Mare I'm not in agreement with your lecturer there! Some of the horses o our yard have no idea what's infront of them and don't 'choose' a path at all, they just plod straight through with no consideration to the fact that they're about to walk on ice / holes / obstacles. Bless Dor! I like her hinting with the head collar lol.

Smile and Wave yeah I think you have a point there, they all have their onw quirks.

Beks so you have an escape artist lol! Yes I've seen your pictures of Taran jumping, he looks fab, Zeb is quick to pick up ridden exercises too but he's not confident with jumping at all (feeds off me I think).

casper_cb
22nd January 2010, 05:24 PM
My Prince is daft. I'm don't think he's clever at all. He's a lovely lovely horse and fantastic with people, he was handled since very young and nothing seems to phase him, as such he seems to lack the natural instincts horses seem to have. He'll walk into fence lines/ gates/ holes/ objects unless you steer him away/ lead him round them. He's got no fear. It's lovely as we've never had a battle over anything but I do worry as he seems to have very little self preservation.

I think a lot of it is instinctive and will depend on the situation in which the horse was bought up when young and general nature of the horse.

Roo
22nd January 2010, 05:49 PM
I wish my horse was spacially aware!
He stomps on me feet al the time, because when leading him, he MUST take and extra step once I have stopped, I am constantly thinking FEET FEET, and other times he catches the back on my ankel (as if he is over reaching to my foot!)
I can't lead him properly next to his shoulders, rather I have to lead a little further forward!
He trips on his own feet, on stones and all sorts of random things, although hes scared of puddles the one time he steps in one it was as deep as my riding boot! (In a feild I had no idea)

Your horse seems very smart. As dopy as my horse is, he does very smart things, such as undoing his leadrope when tied up.

I think all horses are smart in their own way :)

Roan Mare
25th January 2010, 10:47 AM
II think all horses are smart in their own way :)

Agreed :D

Catg I don't agree with my lecturer either but after a long discussion he still didn't agree with me, lol

I love hearing the quirky little things peoples horses do. Great thread.

BEX101
25th January 2010, 11:06 AM
When i was waiting for Dancer to have her second foal i was camped out across from her stable on a pile of straw. I'd actually fallen asleep but woke up to Dancer snorting in my face and pawing next to my head. The foal was stuck, only 1 foreleg was showing (the other was hooked backwards) Dancer had opened her bolt and door and seemed to have woke me up on purpose. She had never opened her bolt before and has never done it since. I'm convinced she knew she needed help and had the brains to go get it. Anyway, i manage to rearange the foal and we had a cracking (very long legged) colt.

Catg
25th January 2010, 12:45 PM
When i was waiting for Dancer to have her second foal i was camped out across from her stable on a pile of straw. I'd actually fallen asleep but woke up to Dancer snorting in my face and pawing next to my head. The foal was stuck, only 1 foreleg was showing (the other was hooked backwards) Dancer had opened her bolt and door and seemed to have woke me up on purpose. She had never opened her bolt before and has never done it since. I'm convinced she knew she needed help and had the brains to go get it. Anyway, i manage to rearange the foal and we had a cracking (very long legged) colt.

Wow that's a heart warming story Bex, glad all turned out well in the end x

funkyboots
30th January 2010, 06:20 PM
merry came up today, grabbed the toggle on the zi[ on my coat and pulled it down! and she knew i was cold with me hat on and hands shoved in me pockets

next week its poo in one corner,preferably by the door! :)

ness
31st January 2010, 02:41 PM
Hehe clever horses!
When kissie has finished her haynet she tosses it over the stable door as if to say 'I've finished, so fill it up!'

She nudges the gate shut for me sometimes when we have ridden through!

Also, today she was waiting to be turned out-she pulled her rug off the door and went and stood on it as if she was trying to put it on! bless!

ness
31st January 2010, 02:43 PM

What a lovely story!:D