PDA

View Full Version : Bad conformation? - Standardbred MORE PICTURES ON P2

Roo
22nd January 2010, 05:12 PM
I doubt we will show etc :D
The most likley we will ever do is hunt - a women down the road from me, said I am welcome to join her any time.
I don't think its weight he needs (also his back has become silky and lovley :D ) But muscel?
Sorry about the light, angle and his head is down, he's camera shy and I can never get all of him at once, with his head up and ears forward :miffed: :)
http://i46.tinypic.com/b3x1lf.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2cd3ly.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/4l26ia.jpg
^ His leg is wet because he was chocking? because he scoffed his food without chewing, and then he lay down for 10 seconds and got back up (In pee)
He is fine now, it really frightend me!

casper_cb
22nd January 2010, 06:11 PM
It's hard to tell from those photos but I think he just needs a little more muscle on behind and on his forearms and 2nd thighs and he'd be perfect. He looks to have a good strong wither and to be built uphill which is always good.

I can't comment on his overall conformation really as he needs to be standing square with his head up, is there any way you could tie him up and try to get him standing as square as possible?

I'm a little jealous, I wish all mine looked that sleek and shiny, mine all resemble woolly bears, with slightly dodgy clips and bald patches on their shoulders where their rugs have rubbed a little.

Roo
22nd January 2010, 06:36 PM
Aww, well he has never been clipped and has a beard
I will try to take a better picture tomorrow :D
- When I tie him up I do a saftey knot - which he has now learnt to get out of - and when I move away to take a piture he moves :miffed:

CityLights
22nd January 2010, 07:46 PM
it think he is probably just under muscled there isnt anything glaringly bad he just hasnt got any muscle, and to be honest who cares about conformation some horses are put together like rubbish but still do great others are put together perfectly and never do much,

Roo
22nd January 2010, 10:47 PM
I'm only asking because my farrier (who isn't, he was a first and last time farrier) said he had a bad conformation, and hoped I didn't intend on showing him.
He also called him ugly as he is a standardbred:scared::frown::miffed:
How do I get muscle on him? - Just by working him as much as I can?

x x Helen x x
25th January 2010, 12:18 AM
Agreed looks like he needs more muscle and maybe a little more weight. These type of horses can be difficult though.

How much ridden work do you do at the minute and what are you doing?

If you can get us a side ways on pic in daylight that would help, get someone else to hold a carrot up to get his attention. would love to see him

flambards
25th January 2010, 02:41 AM
Muscle can be built up lots of ways - if you have hills, just riding up and down them will help a lot. If you don't have hills, some pole work can be used to help build muscle up.

While there is a textbook definition of what a horse with good conformation should look like, it really depends on what you plan on using the horse for. From what little I can see, I don't think he would have any problems that may prevent him from doing what you'd like to do. Beyond that, how much does it really matter? :)

Roo
25th January 2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah I live on a farm, we only have ONE flat ISH feild :chuckle:
I was meaning to take a picture yesterday, before we rode, but I couldn't be botherd because he was being impatient because loads of horses past his feild just before we braught him in, so he was still abit excitable and wouldn't stand still, so I tacked him up, brushed him, and walked him round untill my riding instructor came round.

I'm not really sure what I want to do with him :) Many hack.
saturday, I walked him up and down our farm lane for an hour, which is somewhat steep, and VERY bumpy. He didn't seem to be bored.

BEX101
25th January 2010, 11:41 AM
I walked him up and down our farm lane for an hour, which is somewhat steep, and VERY bumpy. He didn't seem to be bored.

Bless him! If he will let you do that for an hour with out getting grumpy or naping then he's worth his weight in gold no mater what his conformation is like.

Aeia
26th January 2010, 10:48 AM
I think Standardbreds tend to have sticky out hip bones which makes them look skinny anyway. I think Neo is at least part standardbred crossed with something a bit wooly LOL. Eeeks Vinny is a Standardbred and so is Tiaki's Kiwi.

Roo
26th January 2010, 02:42 PM
Bless him! If he will let you do that for an hour with out getting grumpy or naping then he's worth his weight in gold no mater what his conformation is like.

:chuckle: he is lazy, and I have to keep at him, but I'd rather that than trying to keep him slow. I think he is used to manotany, he's still young (7 in march) But he was trained to be a trotter, and I've heard that, that is monotonus but he wasn't fast enough :lol:

Just to add, conformation means nothing to me :D

Roo
26th January 2010, 02:46 PM
I am about to go out and ride, so I'll take a photo - before/after depending on how patient he is being (When he doesn't want to stand still my toes are the first the know)

Aeia
26th January 2010, 03:04 PM
Funny, Neo is also a fidget. He's as calm as anything but can be a real fidget if you ask him to stand still (unless he has something to eat in front of him).

Roo
26th January 2010, 06:52 PM
Funny, Neo is also a fidget. He's as calm as anything but can be a real fidget if you ask him to stand still (unless he has something to eat in front of him).

Hehe, ditto. Although he can have his moments when he is an angel :innocent:

Roo
26th January 2010, 06:59 PM
Only pictures, I caught him when he was still for 5 seconds and not looking/moving elsewhere :D

He looks abit gangaly - His mane isn't blonde :chuckle: - he is Ginger
http://i48.tinypic.com/m8elgn.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2isiq68.jpg

Just to mention he is having maintainence feed, hay and grass - His belly is getting abit porky (especially when we first had him his rips were showing!!!)

And I am trying to ride him as much as I can and because of the light and college - I can squeese 3/4 days a weeks of riding

gwar
26th January 2010, 07:31 PM
He looks like a typical SB just off the track - mine looked like that (I've had 2 SBs) plus my OTT TB looked a lot like that when he came off the track too!! He'll let down and soften given time to chill and you won't believe the difference in him. Lots of gentle hacking uphill built up over time and long will muscle his bum up nicely and low work will sort his neck out a bit!

CityLights
26th January 2010, 07:47 PM
he just looks under muscled really there isnt any huge glaring problem with him, i dont particularly like the look of his front feet in the first picture he looks a little long in the toe but he is stood rather oddly

Roo
26th January 2010, 09:24 PM
He just scared himself, and was moving around, his legs arn't normally that far underneath him :)

BEX101
27th January 2010, 09:35 AM
Could do with a better topline, but that will improve over time with work.

Aeia
27th January 2010, 04:55 PM
Here's a couple of my Neo

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/aeia/Neo/IMG_1212.jpg
that was this summer

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/aeia/Neo/IMG_1034.jpg
and last spring, his winter coat makes him look even skinnier.

He's very fluffy this winter and don't have any good pics.

Roo
27th January 2010, 05:49 PM
AWWWWWW, I wish mine got that fluffy (But Neo is crossed as you said before :) )
Especially his feet! They look lovley

x x Helen x x
27th January 2010, 06:29 PM
Aww, I like him, agreed needs a bit of topline. Just a question has his saddle been checked? hes got quite a high wither and sometimes saddles get fitted to clear the wither and end up affecting the muscle on the sides of the wither and back, might be something to look at as he looks quite straight backed as well.

Aeia
27th January 2010, 08:43 PM
I don't know his breeding as he was rescued as a foal. We're pretty sure there must be standardbred in him as he looks so like the ones I've seen on here and elsewhere.

Roo
27th January 2010, 09:17 PM
We need to sell the saddle we baught that he used to have first (it just slips off his withers and I end up flying off headfirst!)
Until then, we will get him fitted etc :)

xgliskax
27th January 2010, 10:43 PM
my mare is soo much like him, she had pronounced hips, high wither!!!!!!!! shes bay though, but looks v alike, we are currently working on topline,im watching this thread x

Roo
27th January 2010, 11:00 PM
aww :)
To be quite honest, the pictures make him look 'bad', but in real life, I think he looks very smart (of course all horses are beautiful) and maybe because he is my FIRST horse, but he hasn't really felt like mine until now :) (after 3 months - His owner broke him etc he was someone elses horse but she wouldn't let him go into a general sale, and baught him off the farmer guy who wanted him for trotting)

Also, how long does muscle take till it in noticable, say I ride him an hour 3/4 times a week, trotting and walking up and down hills, and when I get off he has sweated under his legs and where the saddle was - Just curious?