PDA

View Full Version : I phoned up about another horse.

Loony
31st January 2010, 04:02 PM
Leo on Merseyhorse.com, the first one.

Owner sounds really nice, told me everything I wanted to know. Apparently she had a bad fall from riding (not him) and hes been really good for her, boosted her confidence etc. He doesn't bat an eyelid at anything, a gem to handle and load and all that. Friendly with other horses. Not spooky or sharp. Loves to jump, has an effortless big jump apparently but shes not much of a jumper, her friend comes up once a week to jump him. Says she thinks this is more his forte than dressage, which is what she does with him.

I've asked her to email me some more pictures and any videos. He doesn't look as impressive when it comes to Kylie but I won't think about that!

Its weird because I rang about Kylie like a bag of nerves, "errm" this and stuttering, and this time I just didn't care and chatted to her like I knew her. Don't know whether thats because all this messing around with Kylie has took it all out of me, or whether I don't care enough about him to be nervous. I hope it's not the latter but I'm not getting excited about it.. I suppose after all this hassle it's quite normal not to be.

Maria
31st January 2010, 04:04 PM
Good luck - I wish you the very best.

chescar
31st January 2010, 04:07 PM
Hun, he looks lovely. You will try dozens of horses before you find the one. But the one will be worth the wait. (I still like Toady)

Gillian
31st January 2010, 04:08 PM
Well I think he looks lovely. But then he's a thoroughbred so I would. Show us more pictures if you can when you get them. Maybe you'll like him more when you see some more pictures?

I'd be useless buying a horse, I'd just fall in love with anything! Mind you that's how I ended up with Nycha.

Loony
31st January 2010, 04:09 PM
I do like Toady but he's just not what I'm looking for. He looks like a nice hack that'll pop a fence from time to time and thats not what I'm after.

Thanks guys.

Loony
31st January 2010, 04:09 PM
I think it's time I put up Susan's wanted ad!

bimba
31st January 2010, 04:30 PM
He's lovely, very much my kind of horse! Hopefully this one will work out a bit better.

Gillian
31st January 2010, 04:31 PM
There's quite a lot I like on Merseyhorse for under 3000, but don't know if you've seen and rejected them already. Don't want to keep sending you ones you've already see and irritating you!

Loony
31st January 2010, 04:32 PM
Have looked through them so probably have rejected them for one reason or another. But don't say you'll irritate me! I was only thinking before now how lucky I am to have everyone to involved in this and excited for me. I appreciate everything! Honestly. xxx

Loony
31st January 2010, 04:33 PM
My wanted advert is up! :) Thanks again Susan, far better than anything I could've come up with!

coloredred
31st January 2010, 05:05 PM
I really like the look of Leo, good luck with him :)

My Crazy Clan
31st January 2010, 05:13 PM
He is nice and if I am honest I think he is better looking then Kylie.

amandaxx1
31st January 2010, 05:41 PM
I like him, looks very nice

Sasca
31st January 2010, 05:55 PM
you'll probably find that its the one horse that looks so ordinary or one that you dont even intentionally go to see (on the same yard etc) that you fall for!!! its allways the way hehe, end up with not what you think you want.

I think you should just go and see loads even if they dont initially grab you and test the market so you get confident at trying other horses and talking and viewing. You've been waiting long enough, another month or so could bring you your dream! Good Luck!!!

Susan
31st January 2010, 06:01 PM
My wanted advert is up! :) Thanks again Susan, far better than anything I could've come up with!

Aww, how nice of you! I do hope it works now!

fell lover
31st January 2010, 06:27 PM
I think Sasca has given sound advice there!
I seriously am feeling your confusion hun, it isn't easy. You have a clear idea of what you want but I think you will be surprised at some of the horses you can view!!

Good luck xxx

Zeitgeist Mom
31st January 2010, 06:40 PM
He looks lovely too. It's best to see as many as you can. Sometimes it's the one you least expect that suddenly grabs your heart when you ride it or see it in the flesh.

vels mum
31st January 2010, 06:45 PM
Leo looks very nice, have you arranged a viewing, is he far from you?

Loony
31st January 2010, 06:46 PM
Nope he's about the same distance as Kylie, maybe a few minutes shorter. :)

Haven't arranged a viewing yet, I've given her my email address to send more pics and videos, haven't received anything yet.

vels mum
31st January 2010, 06:52 PM
Did you ever hear back from Richard or anyone today about Kylie? Be sure to show us the pics and vids of Leo when they come through! :)

Loony
31st January 2010, 06:56 PM
Hey VM there's an update about that in my other post, not good news I'm afraid!

Will do :)

Laura T
31st January 2010, 07:13 PM
I think Leo looks lovely, a really nice sort and everything the owner had to say sounds very positive. IMHO he sounds like he would be a very good choice for you.

gem
31st January 2010, 07:42 PM
I really like the sound of Leo. As you say he might not stand out from the crowd as much but he could be everything else you're looking for. I know you're not going to reject him on looks though if he is perfect.

I'm sure you've already noticed but a few down from Leo...Eos?? Is that ex-Ryders Eos? Says she's been on an equine college and it's not a common name is it? Shame she's not bigger, she was lovely :)

north-mcqueen
31st January 2010, 09:07 PM
Aww he looks really nice :)
And now you made me go look... and I saw that dun highland... and I want him :(

Loony
31st January 2010, 10:26 PM
Thing is, is that my dad will be taking me to see the horses. I don't have my own way of getting there. He won't spend all day looking at horses with me, he'll only see 1. So I'm restricted with that.

gem actually yeah I think it is Eos!! She was nice yeah, bit too lazy but nice. She's who I rode in that private lesson for my birthday, think everyones seen the videos, where we're jumping the 3 part bounce. Although, "Very Sad sale as this lovely horse has been part of the family for the past 6 years".. its definately not been 6 years since she left Ryders!!

gem
31st January 2010, 10:45 PM
Sellers lie :lol: I bet she'd be a wicked horsey out of the school. She's even already in your sig :lol: Could Josh maybe take you?

Loony
31st January 2010, 10:53 PM
To see horses? Yeah he probably would, I'd only ask him if I'm desperate though, I know he'd hate it and wouldn't want to put him through it for no good reason! :lol:

Something about Luce's reply on FTHM really hit something in me though.. "he's not a loony horse", he really isn't is he? Thats why I can't get excited about him. There's no wow factor anywhere, he's just a simple bay TB.. I've been waiting so long for a horse, I think I can wait a bit longer for something with the wow factor?

gem
1st February 2010, 12:43 AM
To be honest I'm not really sure. I mean, as far as I was concerned, a 'gem horse' was a chestnut arab mare :lol: That's all I'd had before pretty much. I waited 16yrs for my own and ended up with the exact opposite of what I was looking for and we all know she ended up being my one in a million. I know you'll be sick of everyone saying it but the most wonderful horses can be hidden in a plain body but they really do become more beautiful and striking once you make your mark on them. You could turn him into a loony horse!! (Not literally..)

helena
1st February 2010, 05:43 AM
Loony have you checked if he is an ex-racehorse? If he's not then his price is reasonable, if he is it needs to be halved, and you would also need to consider the possibility of an ex-racer not standing up to hard work due to the strain of training/racing when they are so young. Some are fine, some are not, but it is an important consideration when looking into buying a TB.

vels mum
1st February 2010, 08:16 AM
^ good point Helena, is there any part of the horses document you can check to see if they started off as racers? Would it be in the passport? I suppose a lot of owners could lie and say they never raced when in fact they did.

Loon - I suppose it comes down to what you think the wow factor includes. Everyone has their own visage of their perfect horse, Id definately go view him though even though his apperance doesnt initially strike you his personality may win you over!

Smurf
1st February 2010, 08:21 AM
I fully understand, its so complecated looking for a horse. Some have plus points in some places and others excell in other things! sometines i wish you could gel different features of horses together and get your perfect one! Remember the horse for you wont pass you by!

helena
1st February 2010, 09:05 AM
If he's a registered TB it will be easy enough to check with Wetherby's. Depends how old his passport is, as he's only 7 it should cover his racing/training period if he had one, but then people sometimes deliberately lose passports so they can get a new one which of course erases the horse's history. To me his shape screams ex-racer.

Sasca
1st February 2010, 09:37 AM
i know where your coming from. If i werew to view horses for myself, it wouldn't be a bay TB! i need something that turns heads (for the right reasons!).

If you are not grabbed by him then wait, but i do think just viewing would be good experience for you, regardless of the horse just so you can be confident and experienced when you eventually try out your dream horse. I think with your budget, you should at least be looking for a correctly muscled up horse with a very good topline at the least. You dont want to have to be working on that from the start!

You'll know which one is right but it might not be from the advert i guess. We're all behind you, just say what you think. I get the feeling your not taken by this guy so the search is on again? Shame about your restricted transport.

micki
1st February 2010, 11:42 AM
Keep looking if you don't think this horse does it for you. When i bought Charlie i went to a stud to look at 2 warmblood 3 year old mares. I wasn't fussed about them but fell in love with a grey colt that was 17 months old, he's an Id x tb. I said i'd never have another horse with any tb in it!! I never wanted a gelding, never mind a colt, and i didn't like grey!!!!! So all in all i would have ruled him out completely from my search as unsuitable but he is great and i can't wait to be able to ride him!!
You will know when you see the right horse.

My Crazy Clan
1st February 2010, 04:26 PM
To be honest I'm not really sure. I mean, as far as I was concerned, a 'gem horse' was a chestnut arab mare :lol: That's all I'd had before pretty much. I waited 16yrs for my own and ended up with the exact opposite of what I was looking for and we all know she ended up being my one in a million. I know you'll be sick of everyone saying it but the most wonderful horses can be hidden in a plain body but they really do become more beautiful and striking once you make your mark on them. You could turn him into a loony horse!! (Not literally..)

Ditto this 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not all about looks, he might not be your cup of tea because hes plain but so what, give him a chance, your either fall in love with him or you won't, so there is nothing to lose.

Or wait another 3/6months, save about 5k and find a unusual horse, I mean you've waited this long, a few more months will not hurt.

flambards
1st February 2010, 04:45 PM
I think he's quite nice, but I think the "wow factor" for a horse doesn't come from its looks, it comes from its talent/movement/abilities. Unfortunately that picture shows me nothing, so it's hard to tell :lol: But if he was a 10 mover and a 10 jumper, he could look like a sack of potatoes in a field and I wouldn't really care.

And a second vote for being open-minded. I'm not saying to not have your dream horse, but I wouldn't write off a possibility based on something like looks alone. I really did think Domino was ugly and not the type of horse I'd ever have when I was told about him (I was looking for a green 16+ hand sporthorse to bring on, and he's an older out of work pony), and seeing him anyways was definitely one of the best choices I ever made.

I say hold out for more pics/video before you make any decisions, but it's up to you.

Loony
1st February 2010, 06:06 PM
I realise I would fall in love with his personality, but he would still not be my perfect horse. I can't explain it and have no time, but will come back to this!

Basically I'm just about to repeat what Sophie has said, so re-read that :lol:

There would always be something missing, and even though that may not bother me whilst I have them, right now I'd rather get the whole package whilst I can.

I don't look at bay TBs and think wow they're so striking (personal opinion only, obviously I love everyone's bay TBs on here but that doesn't mean they would be something I would buy myself), and striking is what I want!#

Also agree with you Grace, presence has a lot to do with it too. Look at Keri's Bo, he was my favourite horse on EW, and he was just a bay WB(?). But his presence was amazing, he just had IT.

Loony
1st February 2010, 08:22 PM
Edit to add a reply someone has put on another forum, they word it much better than I do and since it's such a small forum they know me well and what I want.

"Yes it *could* be the horse of your dreams, concealed in an ugly wrapper, but why settle for that when you could find an equally as wonderful horse that you find attractive?! A good allrounder that is a little unusual to look at is hardly asking for the unobtainable, the wait will be worth it. Gem may have wanted a chestnut arab but she obviously found Saffy just as beautiful. I would never buy a horse unless I liked the look of it, unless I was buying for talent, and tbh, I dont know many/any people that would.
Call it superficial, whatever, but when youre forking out a few grand you have every right to hold out for your idea of perfect."

funkyboots
1st February 2010, 08:23 PM
i went to look at a shetland for madam and i had seen merry in the field before...she never came near us and was so unsure and when she was still there and i did'nt want the shetland i said i want that one...call me...week later tada!
i looked at my first horse years ago and had to have her because i was afraid my parents would give up looking.(when she got fit and dad asked someone to 'sort her' she started to rear and play up and they sold her) i wanted the one at a yard i rode at(but they kept him) and there was a negleted one in a field 24/7 over the road but the owners were to attached!

so ya never know..one might find you (i want my sis in laws to but hes gonna be expensive!)

funkyboots
1st February 2010, 08:24 PM
looney..did i ever show you my chickens...lol.....google transylvanian naked neck chickens......lol

Stacey
1st February 2010, 08:42 PM
Did you find this horse on a website? Is there anyway you could mark them as suspicious sellers? i know some websites you are allowed to do this.

That'll teach them for messing you around. Its a horrible and stressful time when buying or selling anything, be it a house, dog, horse...... wish people were more honest and trustworthy

Ive had a terrible time over the last few months trying to find a new dog, and I know what buying and selling a horse is like

xx

Loony
1st February 2010, 10:24 PM
Stacey it's merseyhorse, not really sure whether I can. Do you think its suspicious then rather than being downright arrogant prats??

Teej
1st February 2010, 10:54 PM
i know where your coming from. If i werew to view horses for myself, it wouldn't be a bay TB! i need something that turns heads (for the right reasons!).

Oi! What's wrong with bay TB's????

*Ahem....... if you have a look at my signature pic, the horse on the left is a BAY TB ...... :cheekywink: He's beautiful and he turns heads (mostly for the right reasons :lol: )

Loony
1st February 2010, 11:09 PM
Tracey we all love your Chip, although I'm sure his fieldmates owners don't :evilgrin:, but I guess there are horses out there we have opinions on that others don't share. Which is good, otherwise the world would be a boring place!

Teej
1st February 2010, 11:26 PM
:lol: aw thanks Loony and he has recently been named and shamed by the other owners :ashamed:

Loony
2nd February 2010, 05:48 PM
Leah, Soph. :)

dun blonde
2nd February 2010, 06:59 PM
Just to comment on the wanting something a bit different thing.I completey agree with wanting something that floats your boat to look at as well as in other respects,I would never buy anything that didn't 'do it' for me in some way to look at.

I like something a bit different,not necessarily amazing or stunning in any way,but different or unusual.To date I have owned a very pretty yellow dun,a dapple grey,a clydesdale,and currently have a fell pony and an near leopard appy x,and will be the first to admit that either the way they looked or their more unusual type was part of what attracted me to them in the first place.I don't think that's wrong in any way?? It would be daft had I limited myself to one very specific type or colour,but to just want something that bit different I don't think is a terrible thing??

Sorry for waffle,yet again lol,but just wanted to say that think you should stick with what you had in mind.You have saved long and hard for it,and you shouldn't settle for anything less,and there's nothing wrong with wanting something a bit different to the norm,or going for something based initially on how it looks and grabs you.:)

Susan
2nd February 2010, 09:23 PM
This advert is from the end of December, but it might just be worth a ring? No photos included with it unfortunately.

He's an 8 year old, 16.1, WB. 2250
If you can get past the owner's horrific text speak, lol!

"ceaser is a dream horse would suit a total novice or sum1 who wants to do more he ride and drives ( used 2 do weddings ) he has a very steady pace (push button ride ) he was competed last year showing jumping and ceaser was over all 2nd first year off competing !! he has been professionally schooled .. has been out hunting this year aswell and looked after me as it was my first time hunting .. he is 100000% to shoe box catch and clip .. this a very upsetting sale and would like it done as quick as possible genuine reason 4 sale please ring 4 more 07545952101"

Loony
2nd February 2010, 10:41 PM
Whereabouts are they Susan?

Thanks dun blonde, precisely what I wanted to say :)

Susan
2nd February 2010, 10:46 PM
That one is in Warrington, and from the New Rider website. (should have said!)

Loony
2nd February 2010, 10:56 PM
Ah thanks x