PDA

View Full Version : Reassurance required!

MyBoyFinn
5th February 2010, 08:39 PM
Finn is now 8 months old and has turned into a monster! It started a few weeks ago with him biting, have tryed all the solutions that I could find posted on here but he still gets in a sly one whenever he can :( he was lovely to lead but that went to pot a few weeks ago with him trying to push me all over the place :frown:, and his latest trick is rearing:eek: he has come down and caught my back and my hand but wednesday was a serious one he hoofed me in the face taking out a huge slice right beneath my eye:scared: I now look like I have gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Is this normal behaviour for a gypsy cob colt, I thought they were supposed to be totally chilled. Do you think he will revert to the friendly little chap he once was after his danglies have been chopped off?

gem
5th February 2010, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately it's normal behaviour for a lot of colts, regardless of breeding. He's likely to become a lot more chilled once he gets his danglies chopped yes :) In the meantime, have you tried working with a dually headcollar? If you do some groundwork training with him he should start to respect your space a bit. Sasca on here is great with things like that.

My Crazy Clan
5th February 2010, 09:33 PM
It's not just colts that are like this, a lot of youngsters are but if you not planning on keeping him entire then best to have him castrated now, it might chill him out a bit too.

Has he any turnout? The biting can be down to teething.

Do lots of ground work with him, youngsters get bored very easy.

XxFudgexX
5th February 2010, 09:45 PM
You could have so easily been talking about my Fudge that is just how he is at the moment, I now lead him in a dually and it makes such a difference, it hasn't helped with the biting but has stopped the rearing and pushing me round.

micki
5th February 2010, 10:15 PM
My youngster sometimes rears, especially if he's on a normal headcollar. I would recommend a dually for handling him. My horse has loads of respect for it :D, it's a good job as he is a nearly 16hh rising 3 year old. The bitting could be that he is teething. Charlie was really bad with it this time last year, he now just tries to hold everything in his mouth.
I don't wish to scare you but my old girl was a gypsy cob, quite a heavyweight, and her nick name was Evil Edna, believe me she wasn't called that for nothing:scared:. She did turn out to be a very lovimg mare but most definitely not an easy horse.

WelshDreamer
5th February 2010, 10:50 PM
My 3 year old filly started biting afew weeks ago and it was due to her getting some new teeth through, she's all but stopped now and returned to her normal self. If it is his teeth it will make him grumpy but he should get over it fairly quickly.

I've always been told that colts are worst for bad behaviour but i've realised as Rhea says most youngsters do it, follow micki's advise and get a dually they're great :D

My Crazy Clan
6th February 2010, 01:23 AM
You can use a dullay halter but I'm not sure they sell them in foal size.

They are good, I use one with my boys, never without it.

funkyboots
7th February 2010, 12:38 PM
'lalalalala i can't hear you....lalalala' lol...i have a filly gypsy cob and shes been good as gold mostly and so careful (i walk her and the dog at the same time) not to stand on the dog. a bit stubborn but fine with most stuff once she realises your not trying to kill her.
what i don't know won't happen....lalalalalalala

fougere
7th February 2010, 05:37 PM
MY Bracken was bad before he was done. I came so close to loosing my kneecaps with his striking out with his front feet. Thank goodness he's only a NF so not too big. I had him castrated at about 9 or 10 months old. His behaviour really settled down afterwards.

MyBoyFinn
7th February 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I am going to invest in a dually headcollar. I have moved him to a 3 acre field where he is out 24/7, he is going to be gelded as soon as the weather improves and then come back to the livery in May. I have to go a long way to see him every day but this way I do not have to take any chances with him, because I really dont want to become frightened of him. He comes when I call him and stays nearby whenever I am in his field so I don't think he dislikes me. Everything crossed that the cut sorts him out!

AliW
7th February 2010, 11:18 PM
he is just trying it on and treating you as a pal,unfortunately of the horse variety.
I use a Bnice halter if the youngsters get bolshy, for everyday I use a rope halter as they give much more control than a headcollar. If he is nipping, hold the side of his headcollar closely and if he tries to bite use the hand on the noseband to push him away and give him a row at the same time.
Gelding him should make a big difference.