PDA

View Full Version : Grown-up height?

The Moog
7th February 2010, 01:24 PM
Is there a way of calculating roughly how big a yearling is going to end-up?

A lady at our yard has set-up a rescue charity and has rescued some yearlings which were going for meat at the local sales.

They are 3 x Welsh Sec A's and one is, we think, an Irish cob.

I'm just interested if there is any way to work-out what size they are likely to grow to.

Thanks.:)

funkyboots
7th February 2010, 01:33 PM
i was told a piece of string from the ergot to the elbow then hold it from the elbow up and thats what you'll get but aslo heard from the floor to elbow but i'd think it depends on the start in life...feed and i was also told no higher than what the mother is! everyone has a diffrent p.o.v but i found the best person to ask is the farrier!!

funkyboots
7th February 2010, 01:34 PM
afore i forget a welsh a can only be up to a certain hieght or is that my old age,

My Crazy Clan
7th February 2010, 02:26 PM
There are ways but I think the best result is patience! good grub and lots of turnout.

My Crazy Clan
7th February 2010, 06:02 PM
Welsh A's can't exceed 12hh hands (people feel free to coreect me if Im wrong) and Irish Cob anything from 15.2-16.2hh I guess.

I thought Welsh A's could make 12'2hh?
I read somewhere "may not exceed 12.2 hands in the US or 12 hands in the United Kingdom? :confused:

BEX101
7th February 2010, 07:35 PM
the foal of 2 welsh A's wont definitly be an "A" they can go obver height and then get classified as a "B"

Found this on the tinternet

SPECIFIC METHODS OF PREDICTING HEIGHT

1. MOST ACCURATE is to measure elbow to ergot/fetlock with a string. Then "flip" the string, rotating from the elbow and raising the bottom part of the string up, vertical and taut, aligned with the wither. This is the final horse height.
2. Second string test method: measure from the front part of the coronet band on the hoof right where the hoofwall meets hair, and pull a string straight up to the center of the horses knee (where the dip is in the middle of the joint). That measurement will co-incide with the horses final height. So if the measurement is 15 and 3/4 inches, the horse will be 15'3.
3. Evaluate your youngster's general conformation as a yearling or later. Is he or she extremely lanky/gawky, or are the proportions more similar to an adult/mature horse. If it is the latter, your horse may not grow much more.
4. Rough guesstimate at one year, take current height and add two hands.
5. The cannon bone has reached its full length at one year old, and it is about 98% its full length at birth. Compare a baby's knee height to its mom, or to others its age, or to other broodmares. Find an adult whose knees are roughly the same distance from the ground, the baby/youngster is likely to end up the same or similar height.
6. There are percentage growth estimates:

Age in Months Percent of Mature Height

Birth 61 to 64

1 67 to 70

3 76 to 79

6 83 to 86

9 87 to 90

12 90 to 92

18 94 to 96

24 96 to 98

30 97 to 99

36 98 to 100

48 99 to 100

60 100

For draft horses the estimates are different, reflecting slower growth...

Age in months Percent mature height
6 79
12 89
18 92

The Moog
8th February 2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Bex. I'll give all those a try and take the average! :lol:

I've kind of fallen for the cobby colt and I'm wondering if he'll be big enough for me to ride one day. I know I shouldn't.....but he's so sweeeet! :)

funkyboots
8th February 2010, 09:59 PM
aw heck...i'll just wait and see...not sure what she is now!