PDA

View Full Version : I'm all in a dither.....

BEX101
12th February 2010, 06:23 PM
I want to put Dancer back in foal for 2011 but found out that my hubby is going to the Falkland islands for 4 months next spring. I've got 2 kids under the age of 3 and i cant see how i could be there at the birth and bring up a foal with no help. There's just no one to look after the kids while all that is going on. (some foal training is just too important to stop part way through because the kids are fed up and want to go home)

So, when i found out about the falklands i put an advert for Dancer on loan as a broodmare. I wasnt really expecting someone to answer and not really sure i could let her go even on loan

BUT - someone ****** answered :eek::eek:

She wants to give her own mare a break from breeding and she's got her own spottie stallion called Condor Blue. Shes got her own place in Lincolnshire (about 40 miles from me) and even a website - Google - hoofcamp in lincolnshire

I've emailed her back some details but i just dont know what to do. :o

BEX101
12th February 2010, 07:53 PM
he'll be gone for at least 4 months any time between January and July. We dont live near any family to help out with the kids. In fact the married quarters we live in are attatched to a closed down airbase so we dont have much of anything. I can manage with the 2 we've got on my own. If the kids need me i can just tie up the horse and sort out the kids but its a little different with a foal.

XenaWarriorPrincess
12th February 2010, 08:12 PM
Echo BC - i wouldnt personally loan out a mare to be put into foal, its a huge risk to take without trusting someone else with her.

Twizzel
12th February 2010, 08:18 PM
The other option is to put her in foal to a stallion that's standing at a proper stud, and send the mare there for foaling and the first few months after she has foaled?

I don't see a problem putting a broodmare out on loan providing she goes to a proper professional stud that is experienced with breeding- they deal with foaling and all of the associated problems every day of the week and she'd probably be in the best hands possible. However I wouldn't put her out on loan to just anyone who fancies a foal as the outcome.

BEX101
12th February 2010, 08:20 PM
I know, its just so frustrating. The RAF have had him on 4 different bases in less than 3 years. We havent put her in foal because of all the moving about. Now we are here it looks like i'm going to have to put her off for another year.

BEX101
12th February 2010, 08:28 PM
Twizzel - Paying for a stud to supervise the foaling isnt reallly an option for me. There's no money in breeding anyway without extra expense and i would hate to miss out on it anyway. Dancer is a rare mare and actually wants you there for the foaling - its a lovely experience.

The woman that contacted me allready breeds herself and owns the stallion and seems to be well known in the area. She's worked with horses all over the world and has somehow ended up in Lincolnshire.
I had convinced myself that even though i had advertised Dancer i wouldnt be able to let her go to a "hobby breeder" because they dont always have the experience or facilities but this woman seems to have it all.

BEX101
13th February 2010, 07:21 PM
Just had a good look at their website and it sounds a nice place xx

I know! She seems to have a way with horses and shes emailed me today saying that if i wished she would return her to me in foal, and i have a soft spot for Spotties. She's also got no problem with me turning up unanounced.
If i was sensible i would sell Dancer and get another to breed off when the kids are a few years older. There are plenty of mares with good conf that are easy breeders and have crackin foals BUT for a hobby breeder like me its more about the experience and Dancer and me have had 10 years of beutifull experiences together. I dont want to lose that.

BEX101
20th February 2010, 06:31 AM
I checked out the stallions breeding - his Dam is a Dutch spotted import - Eaststode Regianna II (mostly knapstrupper i'd imagin) but his Sire is a rather tasty Oldenburg called Landato.