PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dim questionn...

Evening Star
13th February 2010, 10:30 PM
I was thinking last night - why is the cut off point for ponies 148cms/ 14.2hh?

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be 14.3hh -pony 15hh- horse as it seems like 14.3s kind of get left in this no mans land of not quite a horse but too big to be a pony

Anyone know the actual reason for the heights?

My Crazy Clan
13th February 2010, 11:54 PM
Haven't a clue, rather silly is you ask me.

BEX101
14th February 2010, 12:33 AM
I tried googling it but couldnt find an answer. I did find this -

During the reign of King Henry VIII the breed was in danger of dying out. The King wanted to improve the stature and strength of the English War horse in order that it could carry a knight in full armour so he decreed that no stallion under 15 hands or mare under 13 hands should be used for breeding. As a result many smaller horses were destroyed.

I wonder when they got "named" differently (pony/horse) after all you can have a big dog and a little dog but they are both still dogs.

kaya
14th February 2010, 12:37 AM
Don't know but, I know of horses that are passported 14.2 but are actually 15hh and can still enter pony classes this has been at local shows unafillieated.

BEX101
14th February 2010, 12:43 AM
I know its going slightly "off topic" but i got googling and found this (i like the last line)

HORSE vs. PONY? It's a matter of semantics. The distinction used to be known in the English language only. (The word, some say, derives from the Celtic "ponaidh", meaning "small horse".)

Fjord horses, like Haflinger horses, Icelandic horses, Duelmener horses, etc., are called horses because the languages of the countries of their origin had only one word for equine. Any of these words translate in English simply as "horse".

in Britain, the use of the word "pony" is twofold. Next to a statement of height, it is used as a statement of content, irrespective of measurement at the wither. "Ponies" in this sense have to possess characteristics of mind and body which are not found, or are strongly reduced, in other domestic horse breeds.

Ponies are superior to other horses in their capacity to survive and procreate without human interference. Moderate size is one of those things which help the animal to survive when feed is scarce and of low quality, but there is much more to it.

Pony-sized horses of breeds like Quarter Horses, Morgans, Arabians, etc., are not "native ponies". They do not share the native pony characteristics of body and mind to the same extent and, therefore, pony fanciers do not think that they should be called ponies at all, no matter what size they are.

Every pony is a horse. Not every horse, even a pony-sized one, is a pony.

Jill
14th February 2010, 11:11 PM
I love that - we all know what is meant by the pony 'character', even if we can't define it - I think if the term had to be invented now, we would call it 'attitude'.

And what I was about to say is - all together now - a polo pony is always so-called even if it's 16hh!

Woudina
15th February 2010, 10:16 PM
Holland's dealt with this.. We have the A, B, C, D and E pony's.
E pony's are from 148 cm - 157 cm.

piccolo
17th February 2010, 03:35 PM
Yea-i thought the pony breeds that are called "horses" are because their own language does not have a word for "pony".