PDA

View Full Version : Equine insurance

Kim
13th February 2010, 10:34 PM
Can anyone tell me the cheapest but best cover horse insurance pls?

We are getting our first horse soon and i have no idea which insurance company to use.
Any suggestions please?

Bay Chaos
13th February 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm with petplan. Not the cheapest, but I have just had a 5000 claim for a horse that had only been insured 6 months and they paid out no quibbles and quickly. I have 3 horses with them and have had claims with them all this year and have had no problems.

Personally, I would avoid E and L, as I've heard they can be very slow at paying out and a lot of vets will not deal with them directly.

menaimiss
13th February 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm with NFU, never had to make a claim *touchwood*, but was recommended them by several people.....My vets will not deal with E&L, reading various posts it seems as though this is not unusual!

Kim
13th February 2010, 11:13 PM
Black crow...

Thats all i asked was for a few suggestions which you gave me.

Yes it is how long is a peice of string but i wanted to know roughly which ones were the rolls royce of insurance GENERALLY and which was one the pushbike !!

Thanks anyway. :D

kaya
13th February 2010, 11:33 PM
NFU and Scott Equestrian are always reccomended although I did have a problem with Scottish Equestrian paying out and it did take a year to get sorted but havn't had any one else say they have had problems. Best to phone or email for qoutes as there is so many different options of insurance so will depend on what you want to be covered for and for how much. A lot of insurance companies require a 5 stage vetting certificate if you require insurance over a certain amount.

Kim
13th February 2010, 11:38 PM
I just got a rough quote from Petplan. They want about 45 a month. I think thats quite expensive. But im a novice so i dont really know whats good value or not.

Would reeally appreciate a few more so i can make comparisons. Then on Monday i'll get on the phone and get some quotes.

casper_cb
14th February 2010, 02:46 PM
NFU are in my opinion the best. I have all mine insured with them. Over the last two years I've claimed over 15,000 worth of vets fees and they've not questioned a single of it! My premiums have not go up and they have always paid out incredibly fast too.

NFU for a Gunner, he's 4, worth 1950 and insured for vets fees up to 5000 per injury (we did not get him vetted?), I pay 23 a month.

chance encounter
14th February 2010, 03:42 PM
I would also recommend NFU, have been insured with them for 13 years and never had any problems. Only ever had to claim once and there was no problems whatsoever.

Kim
14th February 2010, 04:45 PM
I think i probably will go with NFU. They seem to be the most reliable and pay out the quickest. Thank you all :)

Burnie
15th February 2010, 12:54 PM
One bit of advice I'd say go for a policy that covers you for more. It might be cheaper to only cover yourself for up to 3,500 for example than up to 5,000 vets fees but it's amazing how quickly you can reach that limit when something goes wrong. I'm at about 4,500 now with Tilly's keratoma removal and just thanking my lucky stars that I didn't settle for a cheaper policy :)

The Moog
15th February 2010, 07:21 PM
NFU are good. We've had to make a claim both years that we've had Mallow - they don't quibble so long as you have receipts for everything and will even cover extra costs for bedding and hay etc which a lot of companies won't cover.

They aren't the cheapest - we pay 400 a year to have 2500 cover against theft and 5k vets bills, plus our tack is covered if kept in a locked room/boot.

Avoid E&L like the plague. We know someone whose horse was found in the field with a broken leg so the quickest and kindest thing was to shoot him as the vet would take longer to get out. E&L refused to pay anything as they said the owners should have got the vet to examine the horse and then called E&L to get their permission to PTS! The poor horse would have been lying in the field in pain while all that was going on.

chescar
15th February 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm with NFU - never had a problem and they deal directly with the vets so all I needed to pay was 125 excess

Kim
15th February 2010, 09:19 PM
I got a quote today from NFU. IT worked out about 37 a month which isnt cheap is it?

casper_cb
16th February 2010, 12:12 PM
37 a month is more than I pay for my boys that are out eventing up to Novice level. They are insured for a value of 5000 and veterinary costs of up to 5000, nothing else. Are you insuring for loss of use or anything else as that can really bump up the price?? Did you have a vetting done?