PDA

View Full Version : Should I enter?!!

beks the artist
16th September 2009, 08:57 PM
Please help!

I am in two minds.

There is a XC comp on 27th Sept. I am pretty sure I have the day off work then. I would like to enter Taran into the 2'foot minimus class.

We have never entered a XC comp before (well I have but 10 years ago was my last one :lol:) He has XC schooled around the course in February but started off good, lost our confidence and slowly built it up again and by the end of the course we were jumping well again.

I just don't know if it is too soon - he was a loon jumping today and I had no breaks!!!!!!!!! I just don't want us to loose confidence again! And it's an hour and 20 minutes drive :sick:

Shall I enter?

Thanks guys!

banjo
16th September 2009, 09:10 PM
its a long journey to go on if you are feeling uncertain. Is there one a bit nearer to start off
Also on another note....just check you are covered on your insurance for doing XC.

beks the artist
16th September 2009, 09:12 PM
In your heart, do you feel ready?

Yes and no! Thats the thing! However if I don't enter there is another on next May, which would be good to get him really fit and jumping XC (homemade!) jumps at home really well. But then I think, it's only 2' foot, which he can step over. I really would like him to go round with another horse in the pairs to give him confidence (and me! :lol:) however I do not know anyone who has a suitable horse at the moment (Frankie - get Galaxy jumping again ;) )

beks the artist
16th September 2009, 09:14 PM
its a long journey to go on if you are feeling uncertain. Is there one a bit nearer to start off
Also on another note....just check you are covered on your insurance for doing XC.

The thing is, living in North Wales I haveto travel very far to go anywhere! :lol: I drove him nearly 2 hours to do our first SJ comp! (well we did get lost too!)

Yes, we are fully insured for RC XC and Hunter Trails. He is only insured 3rd party anyway due to his age.

CityLights
16th September 2009, 10:26 PM
go have a bit of fun and if it goes wrong its something good to laugh about, if you wanted to go with another horse, get lapped, lol, my horse totally lost her confidence and just trotted a good protion of it then i got over taken and she flew the rest of it, gave her bags of confidence

chance encounter
16th September 2009, 10:30 PM
I would go. Why dont you phone up the organisers and see if they can put you in touch with someone else who might do pairs with you or you might meet someone there on the day. Im sure you and Taran will have a great day.

loubylou
16th September 2009, 10:50 PM
I would go too :)

beks the artist
16th September 2009, 10:56 PM
:D Ok, if I can borrow my friend's Ranger Rover I will go! If I die I will blame you guys ;)

Thank you for the support! Sometimes I need a good kick up the bum! xx

Loony
17th September 2009, 12:27 AM
Go for it :) even if you don't do well, at least he's had the experience and will be more used to it next time!

kaya
17th September 2009, 01:35 AM
Meghan and Tia had never done x country before, they since have done 2 training days and found that they both love it. I would say go for it and if you find it too much you can always pull out. good luck in your decision

Evening Star
17th September 2009, 02:50 AM
go!
My first proper xc with Lisa was a disaster (it took us five minutes to get past a gate!) and we ended up gettin elim for 3 refusals but it was so much fun

claire777
17th September 2009, 12:44 PM
Go for it hun. I did my first XC course in 15 years last weekend and although I was nervous as hell we did it and had an amazing time (Middle pic of my sig if proof of the pudding for how much we both enjoyed it!). I've already entered Hunter Trial for next month!

If you dont have a go you'll never find out whether you enjoy it or not :)

Stacey
17th September 2009, 03:17 PM
I would go and just see it as a fun day out but it is up to you. is there a course nearby where you can just practice without lots of other people around and hire it for the day?

xxxx

Savvy
18th September 2009, 11:11 PM
go for it! if it all goes wrong you can just retire and hack back to the lorries!

Like you say at 2ft he can step over anything he's not sure of or jump from a standstill.

GO FOR IT! (and take a photographer!)

My Crazy Clan
19th September 2009, 05:06 PM
If your both ready then yes.

beks the artist
19th September 2009, 08:01 PM
I am sorry guys.

I am not entering. Taran just ain't fit enough (nor me for that matter! ;) ) Taran had a cough (a really nasty one) in August that took him out of action for most of the month. I have been working him everyday for the oast couple of weeks (apart from last weekend - my friend kept him ticking over and he had Monday off) Rode him today, just a little hack and some field work on the hills. After a fast canter he started coughing again - only little ones. But it has really made me think. He isn't up to speed and I really do not want to push him. He is 15.

Hope you understand! Might take him XC schooling again next month when he his fully fit again, if the cough doesn't come back again :( xx

Loony
19th September 2009, 08:13 PM
That sounds completely understandable!! Now you can focus on getting fit enough for next time :) there'd be no sense in trying to drag round an exhausted horse, or good for them!

Savvy
21st September 2009, 10:31 PM
sounds like a good plan to me, more time to make sure your on top form for the next one!