PDA

View Full Version : Black horse

Kim
16th February 2010, 10:36 PM
My Daughter and I want to buy a black horse. It doesnt have to be totally black, maybe a white blaze or white socks would be nice.

There are many specifications we need and obviously safety is paramount, but we have been looking and there really isnt too many black horses for sale.

IcarusGirl
16th February 2010, 10:40 PM
It might be a good idea to state specifically the sort of thing you're after rather than just the colour. Then people can help you look properly :)

vels mum
16th February 2010, 10:50 PM
I wouldnt make the colour of a horse a main buying point, what exactly are you after? Where is your daughter regarding riding, is she attending a riding school? What height breed age temperament of animal do you need and what do you plan to do with it? Hacking, schooling, jumping etc
Do you have any experience of owning a horse? Lots of things to think about and sort out before you worry what colour the animal is

Kim
16th February 2010, 11:04 PM
Yes i realised after i hit the post send button i should have done that....

The horse will be kept in a BHS livery yard.

This is our ideal, but obviously i realise we prob wont get everything.

14.1- 14.2hh
Gelding
between 7-12yrs old
Safe trustworthy.
Will be used for indoor school
rarely hacking
some shows

Want something that will build daughters confidence more and teach her rather than her teaching it, or ideally teach each other,

I want it all dont i? LOL

Kim
16th February 2010, 11:11 PM
Apple thankyou. You are a star.

Anni~Bell
16th February 2010, 11:13 PM
Why black in particular???
Do you have a budget makes things a bit easier.

Here are some options:

HM003OHBC
HM0019C21
HM951DFB2 - He may be a bit more than you want

Just put all that you want into Horsemart and there about 8 horses that come up but these are just a select few :)

Kim
16th February 2010, 11:22 PM
Anni

thanks you so much. I will go take a look :)

vels mum
16th February 2010, 11:31 PM
Dun Blonde is planning on selling her Jack I think who is a beutiful Fell and sounds like a great boy......and is black :lol:

CDR
17th February 2010, 10:48 AM
Colour was the very last thing I considered when looking for a horse, I was hoping not to end up with a grey though as the thought of constantly trying to get rid of mud and stable stains was not appealing!! Ended up with a bay which was my preference anyway.

fairyfeet
17th February 2010, 11:05 AM
As soon as I read this I thought Fell!

My Crazy Clan
17th February 2010, 12:01 PM
Colour shouldn't come into really, yes we like this and take but I would never choose an unsuitable horse just for the colour.

Owning a black isn't all what its cracked up to me :pmsl:

How far are you willing to travel, what area are you and how much?

Thingamyjig
17th February 2010, 12:47 PM
oh dear... :(

CityLights
18th February 2010, 07:39 PM
I have a black, i did have two, my mare is solid black and has about five white hairs to attempt a star

Blacks are gorgeous but hard to keep clean just like greys, the colour of the horse really shouldnt matter when you are buying horses its a bonus that its a pretty colour not something you look for

annmarie
18th February 2010, 07:46 PM
ohh have a look @ dun blonde jack he is lovely quite like the sound of him myself if i had confidence plus it to soon after aero

GreyEventer
19th February 2010, 01:13 AM
HM0038CB6
HM003P5HC
HM003OHBC
HM002H283
HM001A44B
HM952LA90
HM951F0B4
HM001A697
HM00184B8
HM001PCFB
Not sure about area, but they all seem nice types and are all black. you also don't mention a price?

there are LOADS of greys for sale atm!
check out the pony club website, there are always lots of lovely ponies on there! :)

helena
19th February 2010, 07:32 AM
I'm sorry but buying a horse based on colour is crazy. The specifications should be the age, height, safety, capability of rider. Colour should be the last thing on the list.

clippi
19th February 2010, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry but buying a horse based on colour is crazy. The specifications should be the age, height, safety, capability of rider. Colour should be the last thing on the list.

You say this Helena and I agree, but when I went horse shopping I was looking for something between 14-15.2, gelding, cobby, safe but fun and definatley not grey. I came back with clip who is a gelding and 14.3 so i got 2 things on my list, but he is also grey, arab and flighty:o

injioho
19th February 2010, 12:24 PM
HM0038CB6
HM003P5HC
HM003OHBC
HM002H283
HM001A44B
HM952LA90
HM951F0B4
HM001A697
HM00184B8
HM001PCFB
Not sure about area, but they all seem nice types and are all black. you also don't mention a price?

there are LOADS of greys for sale atm!
check out the pony club website, there are always lots of lovely ponies on there! :)

Ew that third one's awful!
2nd 4th and 8th are gorgeous though!

My Crazy Clan
19th February 2010, 12:39 PM
There are quite a few people around that want their dream horse, and its got to be a certain colour, I don't agree with just going for colour but if you find a horse that suits your needs in your dream colour then thats a bonus.

chescar
19th February 2010, 01:27 PM
I thought Troy was the ugliest horse I had ever seen - turned out he wa sperfect for me.

Zeitgeist Mom
19th February 2010, 02:05 PM
How could Troy have ever looked ugly!!!????

As many have said already, colour really should be bottom on your list of priorities. Also, as other 'black' owners have mentioned, and I'll agree - black horses are sooo hard to keep clean. My grey pony always looks cleaner than my black horse! :lol:

GreyEventer
19th February 2010, 04:39 PM
Ew that third one's awful!
2nd 4th and 8th are gorgeous though!
LOL is it, i didn't actually pay any attention to them.. but they are black! must be perfect!
Im sorry but i think buying a horse based on colour is a bit erm... silly.
I said with my 3rd pony i didn't want a grey, but if i got a grey then so be it... i didn't get a grey but current horse is grey... 3 out of 4 so far!
Also agree that my grey often looks much cleaner then blacks. he looks all shiny white and they can look very dusty/dull...