PDA

View Full Version : Contractforloaning a brood mare?

BEX101
19th February 2010, 12:20 PM
Hello everyone.

The woman who wants to loan Dancer to breed off is definitly interested. We're going up to see her place and her stallion someday next week and she's hoping to pick her up not long after.

What do you think i should have in the contract?

Basicly she would have full responsibility from taking her till her foal is weaned (aprox 1 1/2 years) and i will have the option of having her put back in foal for a 2012 foal for me.
She's going to pick her up.

Do you know of any sample contracts online?

Zeitgeist Mom
19th February 2010, 12:29 PM
Just out of interest, can I ask why you are doing this? Nikita was bred like this (ie the breeder 'borrowed' her mare to breed a foal.) I was quite surprised, because I just don't see what is in it for the owner of the mare. Pregnancy takes its toll on a body (and figure - don't I know :rolleyes:) and can even be potentially dangerous. What is there to gain from loaning out your mare, or is it just a case of not having to look after and pay for her for a while?

In answer to your question about the contracts, EW has a link to a sample loan contract on the BHS web site. http://www.equine-world.co.uk/buying_horses/sample_horse_purchase_contract.htm

BEX101
19th February 2010, 12:48 PM
Its mainly to do with circumstances. She hasnt been bred from for 3/4 years beacuse the RAF keep on moving us around and now we're finally settled and in a better possition the RAF are sending the hubby to the Falkland islands for at least 4 months next year when a foal would likely be due and for its early training. I've got 2 young kids (and no family/support close by) so just wouldnt be able to the whole foaling/training thing.
The person who wants to loan her wants to give her own mare a break so dancer is a replacement for her. I could easily leave her for another year (she's a doddle to look after) but i think she should be doing something.

Zeitgeist Mom
19th February 2010, 01:26 PM
Ah, I see. I think the fact that she has foaled before makes a big difference too. Did you find that contract on the BHS website?

BEX101
19th February 2010, 02:02 PM
. Did you find that contract on the BHS website?

Yes thanks. I know that loaning horses out can be fraught with danger. Its definitly a risk. I've been aproached before about loaning her to breed from and i've not had a problem selling her foals.

i was just wondering what extra's to put in the contract with it being for breeding.

Bay Chaos
22nd February 2010, 02:07 PM
We have a mare on loan for this reason!

Firstly, we paid the owner, a bit like a stud fee, so it is actually more commonly referred to as a lease for this reason. Stud fee or mare returned in foal is the normal agreement.

Basically put in there what happens if mare doesn't conceive, loses foal etc. That they are responsible for all vet bills, they
may/ may not ride her etc. May she be covered naturally or must it:sleep: be ai. Include about keeping jabs etc up to date.

Then the usual stuff. Ours was based on the bhs loan agreement.

Bay Chaos
22nd February 2010, 02:10 PM
Oh and also include that the mare must be completely dried up when returned to you. Also what would happen if you had to take her back because of her condition etc or they couldn't keep her. Who will own the foal?