PDA

View Full Version : How to waterproof my coat?

Roo
20th February 2010, 01:10 PM
It is waterproof, but it is that material that is soft but when you scratch it, it makes the sound of a mac(rain-mac/waterproof).
I REALLY have to wash it now! But I am certain it will become un-waterproof.
- It smells of cow poo mixed with horse pee ( I have no idea about the horse pee, but the cow poo I did walk down to see my dad when the cows were milking and one pooed and abit splatted on my back, only little bits) AND not to mention my light blue coat is now brown from the oil in my horses coat!! :eek::ashamed:
Any recomendations?

IcarusGirl
20th February 2010, 01:20 PM
You can get wash in waterproofer. Or spray on stuff? I often reproof Icarus's rugs and my coat at the same time, sad i know!

XenaWarriorPrincess
20th February 2010, 01:31 PM
I wash all of my coats normally and have never had a problem with them not being waterproof after.

vels mum
20th February 2010, 02:29 PM
I would just wash as normal if you have not washed it before, id say maybe on its 5-6th wash add in some Nikwax and that will re-proof it. You will find it on ebay. :)

Now go wash your jacket before it walks out the house on its own! :lol:

chance encounter
20th February 2010, 09:20 PM
Hee hee!! I was so glad that BCE went away for a weeks holiday as I managed to get all her stable coats washed in one go, lol!!

I would wash it a couple of times before I would feel the waterproof had came off and like Vels mum says buy Nikwax which you can also buy at any camping shop and you just put it in the washing machine, its easy peesy! Ive also used the spray on stuff too. Just hung my coat on the washing line on a coat hanger and sprayed it all.

CityLights
20th February 2010, 09:56 PM
the waterproofing in coats lasts for a fair few washes, and should if its a good make, you can buy wash in waterproofing from Nixwax which you like put in the washing machine just like detergent

My Crazy Clan
21st February 2010, 02:18 PM
Surly you buy a waterproof coat so that it stays waterproof????

You can buy the spray on stuff that waterproofs it or the wash in stuff.

try ebay