PDA

View Full Version : Stolen????

BEX101
22nd February 2010, 08:44 PM
My friend is looking for a shetty for her daughter and had a wanted add up a while ago. Someone has answered and offered her an unregistered unpassported 12 year old shetty gelding (chestnut) I saw a pic and told her to ask if its had lami and she says "not in the 9 months i've had him"
I can understand some horses dont have passports because they have never changed hands (all my passports were a few years late!) but he's obviously been sold (and transported) in the last 12 months.

It occured to me he could actually be stolen? This theory is also suported buy the seller not advertizing him but answering wanted ads like my freinds)
What do you recon?

XenaWarriorPrincess
22nd February 2010, 09:08 PM
To be honest some ponies just dont have a passport however i do think it sounds a little dodgy!
I had a shetty mare who didnt have a passport, well i suspect she did, but it was used to sell another shetland with :mad:
Like BC said, if its a dealer then often they wont bother getting them passports!

BEX101
22nd February 2010, 09:13 PM
how long has it been law now? My mare and filly didnt get one till 3 years agop when i wanted to move them. Figured i best do it legal!

helena
22nd February 2010, 09:16 PM
The majority of horses in our local area do not have passports. As far as I know none of them are stolen. One guy I know has around 25 horses, not one has a passport. I don't know of anyone who's ever been asked to produce one while transporting horses, and local shows and even large venues such as Myerscough don't ask for them.

So no passport does not necessarily mean stolen, however if a person is passing a horse on after only 9 months that would ring alarm bells that there may be something wrong with the horse either mentally or physically. Of course it could be something so simple as the owner has lost their job and needs to sell.

If it were me I would be asking a lot of questions.

My Crazy Clan
23rd February 2010, 12:22 AM
Your be surprised at the amount of horses that do not have passports, if she was to buy him, she could always get one done for him and a chip.
I wouldn't be too worried about it, these things happy, the best thing to do is have a look around the web for stole chestnut shetlands.

funkyboots
25th February 2010, 10:09 PM
i know someone with a eventer whos gotta go court coz she brought a unpassported horse but i know a few who have brought unpassported coz the seller kept the passport for another horse(even if it was a pony??!!)
i got offered a shetland with a p.p but she was found by the rspce eating out of bins in newquay so they guessed her age and passported her

ktsval
26th February 2010, 01:12 PM
paasports bacame compulsory from 2005. Microchipping became compulsory for any foals born in 2009 or thereafter. Many people do not bother with either though.

funkyboots
27th February 2010, 09:59 AM
i was told via a vet that the only reason they do it is so the slaughterhouse can decide if it can be eaten by animals or humans but merry had the vet out before her passport came (so he could'nt write in it) but it says in a few places this pony is not for human consumption. but my sis in law buried her old pony in her field,as do my nieghbours and they had passports and i thought you weren't allowed to anymore...oh hell,i just thought,if merry gets to her lates 20's-30's i'll be 60 odd (oo i feel faint and old,heck my little girl will be 36! oh c***......LOL

delboy
27th February 2010, 06:30 PM
i knew about have to having a passport but never about the chips....
is it just reccamened you have one or is it law??