PDA

View Full Version : please help - thinking of getting a horse

joanne 79
24th February 2010, 02:22 PM
hello all, just wondered if someone would please give me some advice. before i start i will be honest and tell you have i have rode a horse once but i am thinking off getting one, do you agree while im looking i should have lessons? or someone stated to me when i find one that i should get a bond with the horse gain each others trust then learn to ride on my own horse with a experienced rider? i do understand their is alot of time and effort to use when having a horse and expense,been told a cob horse would be ideal for my first horse? please if any one has any advice i would be very grateful.

joanne

BEX101
24th February 2010, 02:27 PM
honestly - have some more lessons first. Make sure its for you and it may give you a better idea of what sort of horse will suit you. You can also learn how to lookafter a horse along the way and make some horsey friends to help and suport you. And most importantly keep posting your progress on here and make more friends!

joanne 79
24th February 2010, 02:31 PM
thank you i do no what your saying. :):)

Thingamyjig
24th February 2010, 02:37 PM
i would most definately advise you top NOT get a horse yet, how old are you? do you work, have you got somewhere you could keep a horse, have you got people who could help you if you are ill, would you know what to do if your horse was hurt or ill, have you looked into the cost of a horse, the farrier, insurance, vaccinations, livery etc etc there are loads of questions you should be asking yrself..

my advice would be to continue with the lessons and see if you can find somewhere or someone who will allow you to help them out and really get to know horses on the ground as well as riding them before you even thought about getting your own one

or perhaps you could find someone who was willing to part loan you their horse and help you with it while you are learning

good luck with it though

x

Thingamyjig
24th February 2010, 02:39 PM
was typing while you posted then Em... agree with what youve said also

joanne 79
24th February 2010, 02:50 PM
i can see where you are all coming from, i have been round horses alot i have more than several friends that own horses,and have helped them many of times, i am in my 30's and do understand the cost and the knowing of getting to know how horses think and their own ways of living and i would have lots of help if i did ever become ill, i don't want you thinking that i woke up this morning and thought ''hummm ill buy a horse'' cause i didn't ive been thinking this for a while now few months and not just jumping in to it and that's why i came on here for a bit of advice, i never really wanted to bother my friends on asking them to ride there horses as i enjoyed mucking out ect and just been round the horses.

BEX101
24th February 2010, 03:05 PM
Joanne - dont be disheartened. I think most people on here that look after their own will agree that this winter has been particulary hard. Prices are up and money is tight and its been ****** cold this winter. There are many days i only get to chores and not the fun stuff. I even get anoyed when i cant muck out as well as i wanted because its darker, colder, the kids are fretting or just because theres other stuff to do. If you take the time to make sure your doing it right you will get more out of having a horse. I remember a friend with relativly little experience getting a horse. She was convinced she only ever wanted to be a "happy hacker" so bought a Cob. One day she discovered jumping and knew thats what she wanted to do. Problem was - her cob hated jumping. She spent an unhappy 6 months trying to get it to jump but realised that it wasnt the horse for her. She now has a new horse (still a cob) but it suits her much better and everyone is happy. So get those lessons and find out what your good at.
Go pester your friends, do as much as you can with their horses and tell us how you get on!

VIC
24th February 2010, 03:12 PM
Hello

Having your own horse is a big commitment are you sure you are ready for this! Your horse will need constant attention being sorted out day and night!

I really think you should get more lessons not just riding but stable management. Could you recognise common ailments? Its not fair on you or the horse and could end up costing you.

PLease think about this carefully and help your friends out more with their horses you could learn a lot.

Have seen many inexperienced horse owners on my yard and situations can become dangerous with riders buying the wrong horse for them.

Vix

My Crazy Clan
24th February 2010, 04:35 PM
You've ridden once? In that case no, there is a lot more to horses then riding.

Ride your friends horses, have lessons, share/loan a horse to learn the basic horse care.

You might have been told a cob is best for you but every horse is different your might get confident giver cob or a very forward going cob, you never know.

Pie_x
24th February 2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Joanne,

Like the others say, i think the answer should be a 'no' for now.

I know you say you've been around horses etc but I think you should deffinatley gain just a bit more experience, and ride a bit more before considering buying your own horse.

I've been around horses and riding horses for 13years or more now and i've only just got my first pony on loan, with view to buy. I like you, loved horse riding when I first tried it out but its not all it pans out to be, not everytime is great and i don't wish you to fall off or have an accident don't get me wrong, but it would test you to see if your still up for it after the downsides. I've had plenty of accidents with horses and i'm struggling with nerves and confidence to even sit on my mare, like I say, after 13years of experience. I also have nerves when it comes to handling her too.

I've found it so so hard to keep my own pony, sure its worth it because i'm committed, its all i've wanted but it is dis heartening when you lose your nerves or struggle financially etc.

Personally, I think you should have more lessons at a good decent riding school so you progress riding wise, help with your friends horses and then after such a time, if your still feeling up for it and wanting it more than ever, I suggest sharing or loaning a horse. :)

Also, your own horse is very, very different to a riding school pony. Trust me! :)

I wish you all the best of luck, its entirely your decision but people on here are just helping you along your way and preparing you for the hard work and dedication that it takes!

xx

vels mum
24th February 2010, 07:30 PM
DO NOT BUY A HORSE YET!!!!!

It would be unfair for the animal, yes you can learn but why make your first horse suffer the consiquences of an unknowledgable horse owner?

funkyboots
24th February 2010, 08:24 PM
i don't know about the others but if they're like i was,spent most of our childhoods at stables working for rides...mucking out,grooming,cleaning tack..i did'nt get my first pony till 13 and then college came and i'm 34 now and just got a foal for my daughter and i have to make sure shes mucked out,fed and watered even before my little girl gets up!!
thats normally 2-3 times a day if she isn't turned out and then of course besides riding (not quite yet) Theres the time you need to 'bond' luckily i have 3-4 years to do this but it helps alot!
keep up the riding, find out how much your vets charge,think of jabs,shoeing,teeth rasping, clipping,rugs, hard feed,hay,straw,sawdust, (fly repellent..lol) insurence will be a stinker for sure,hiring horsebox if you need to move it,field rent
or you could win the lotto..that would be nice......

Twizzel
24th February 2010, 08:47 PM
Just to add to what others have said really... not all cobs are ideal first horses, they can be very quiet but some can be stubborn and need firm handling. I ride a cob who is definitely not a novice ride, although very forgiving and honest he can need a firm confident rider, on the hunt field he will keep up with his best friend who is a 17.2hh Thoroughbred cross!!!

Go get some lessons, then look for a share/part loan, this will help you learn basic horse care without the commitment of a full time horse you have sole responsibility of. I rode at a riding school for 4 years before sharing a horse, shared her for a year and learnt lots. Plus did a few bhs horse owners levels, they are very good at teaching basic stable management. I now help out some friends of mine with their 9 horses (ranging from a newborn foal up to a 17.2hh hunter, ex racers, a show cob, warmbloods)... I have learnt so much with them :)

annmarie
24th February 2010, 09:05 PM
hya joanne heres my experience

loan horse for 12 months with daughter they were older as well so well behaved well sabre was a little **** haha anyway he was pts after a bad fall in arena during turn out

so bought my daughter a horse a 3yr old lots of help he was stubborn bolshi and lovable great to hack ****** in school and ****** in hand with any one apart from daughter let me sit on him but noway was i taking him in school so happy to do jobs n walk out with them

but sadly daughter discovered going out @ 19 yr old left me with a horse i was scared of but loved to bits had no choice to sell he is with a lovely family i told them the truth he is in forever home with people who understand and are confident he is turning into a super horse as i knew he would and it broke my heart letting him go but its about the horse not me i miss him everyday

si i now have riding lessons and loan a pony just on mondays he is so kind and gentle

i dont ever want to be in a position were i have to sell a horse/ pony because i scared so gunna get more experience and possibly one day have MY horse so i not relying on anyone if i get left again but i learnt a hard painfull emotionall lesson

miss you aero

Lesley_78
25th February 2010, 01:06 AM
I really think it would be a bad idea to go and buy one,
Why dont you keep the lessons and see about offering people help and just explain your situation just to get you into it and get a bit of experience and then maybe a part loan, A friend of mine jumped in too quick picked the wrong horse and lost all her confidence :(

Maria1986
25th February 2010, 07:49 AM
I am very much a novice rider and have only been riding properly for about 10 months, however I currently share a horse owned by a VERY experience person and shared with another experienced person. I think this arrangement is perfect for me as a novice rider as I am able to experience the fun of having my "own" horse, but with the back up of people who actually know what they are doing!

I had been having weekly lessons and learning more about horse care by helping out with the ponies at the RSPCA centre where I work, however it has been a very steep learning curve for me in the past few months, and I have probably learnt more about both riding and horse care since having Beth than I had in the 6 months or so prior to that and I still no where near ready to own my own horse.

Maybe after a few more lessons you could look to do something similar.

Barry G
25th February 2010, 05:34 PM
Joanne says: " I have rode a horse once and am thinking of going out and buying one".

If we Forum members can deter you of doing what you are thinking of doing then we will have done you a favour. I started to write why not to do what you are thinking of doing but then gave up.

Don't please do it - for your sake and just as importantly the horse's sake.

Go have 6 months riding instruction once a week and then go on a weeks riding holiday
down in Wales or over in Spain.

Then decide if you want a horse at all.
B G

xxlauraxx
25th February 2010, 06:10 PM
hi joanne i agree with every one .. sorry..i some times wish i hated horses lol.. when its freezing and its dark and i have no time ..

smellycat
25th February 2010, 09:53 PM
totally agree with the above!!

Meeny Miny Mo
26th February 2010, 08:18 PM
Would be a no from me too

Its not just like getting a cat, horses take a LOT of looking after.

Ive been around horses for around 20 years, I only got my very own ponies 4 years again and even then I was very unsure about whether I knew what I was doing!

I had had weekly lessons at a BHS approved riding school (private lessons as you seem to learn diddly squat on group lessons), I helped out at the stables at weekends - learning to tack up, helping on lead rein classes etc, I made friends with girls at school who had their own ponies and used to go help them with them and ride, I went to every stable management course my riding school put on I eventually ended up sharing my cousin's horses when I was 14 - we did the a couple of days a week. unfortunatley they got sold so i continued my lessons once a week till i was 16

I had a break from horses for about 4/5 years then my ex bought me 2 mini shetlands for my 21st

You will never know everything there is to know about horses - no-one will they are far too complex My advice to you would be have lessons for at least 6-9 months help out with your friends horses, learn all about the day to day stuff, basic field management, healthcare etc. I dont think you will need to be a brilliant rider to own a horse as the horse care is far more the most important thing, but being able to ride correctly with a balanced seat and not jabbing the horse in the mouth is a must

horsemads mum
28th February 2010, 09:07 AM
I think you should have lots more lessons, spend loads of time at a stable doing all the jobs you would need to do. Put by the money you will need each month to pay for a horse.
Before we bought our mare in september 2007, we sent a year doing all the things we thought we might need to know before we bought. Then found a horse at a riding stable, had her vetted, bought her and then 6 weeks later found she was expecting a foal.
Nothing prepared us for that. But at least we had some experience.
But here we are over 2 years later on DIY. Still having both our mare and her foalie. (foalie 2 in April).
So put in the work and time first.

bimba
28th February 2010, 11:00 AM
Have to agree with the others. There's so much more to owning a horse than riding. Think everyday, twice a day you have to go and do them regardless of the weather, what your friends are doing etc. Sometimes things go wrong, yesterday my youngster escaped and because of it I missed the memorial service for a friend who died - how do you explain that to non-horsey people, trust me it's ****** hard. Having a horse changes everything and unless you're 110% sure it's for you it's not worth doing - either for you or for the hypothetical horse.