PDA

View Full Version : How long had you been riding when you bought your first horse?

CDR
24th February 2010, 11:52 PM
Just been reading Joanne's post about considering buying a horse and I wondered how long people on here had been riding before they bought their own horse. Full loan would count too but not part-loan.

Don't count any gaps, like if you didn't ride for 5 years, just count how many years of actual lessons you had.

Lesley_78
25th February 2010, 01:17 AM
I had to wait 5 years my mum and dad had to make sure it wasnt a fad lol

vels mum
25th February 2010, 08:24 AM
Me and mum attended a pony club for 4 years before buying the first family owned horse. Even after 4 years it was a big shock to the system!

bedouin
25th February 2010, 08:56 AM
Hello,
I have been riding from my 7th untill my 14th but bought my first horse when 41,...

zoes87
25th February 2010, 10:22 AM
i voted 1 - 3 years. I got Tom after 3 years of riding once a week for the first couple of years and then 2 or 3 times a week during holidays and for the 3rd year as i'd left school and had nothing better to do with my time! :lol:

beks the artist
25th February 2010, 11:05 AM
I started riding when I was 5. I got my first pony on loan when I was 11/12 years old, my second pony on loan just before my 13th birthday and my Parents bought me my first 'own' horse when I was 14 years old.

Sammy1979
25th February 2010, 11:24 AM
I started riding at 11 years old, and brought my first horse, Glory, Welsh D x Hackney when I was 20.

amandaxx1
25th February 2010, 11:31 AM
Ive gone with 1 - 3 years.

Im 23 now - I started having lessons when I was about 8 or 9 and had lessons up until I was about 15, then worked at a yard for about a year then gave up completly at about 16.

Started weekly lessons again when I was 18 and bought Bertie when I was 20, so weekly lessons for about 2 years.

xxlauraxx
25th February 2010, 12:08 PM
i started riding when i was 4 ... and got my first pony suprise.. when i was 20 she was a 13.3 welsh and then i really found out how to ride lol.. she was a madam..bless her.i soon found out why her name was surprise..lol

africa
25th February 2010, 12:16 PM
Started riding at 6 and took seven years to persuade my Dad that a horse was a good idea. He now says buying Cassie was the best money he ever spent.

GreyEventer
25th February 2010, 01:14 PM
I voted less than a year- i rode from a very young age, first went on a horse (carried by my dad) aged 6 days old. then "rode" our polo ponies from as early as I could- before i walked... i rode one in particular as he was lovely old boy who looked after me... i then got a pony at about 2 :)

gem
25th February 2010, 01:17 PM
16yrs! Although nobody else rode Rookie she wasn't mine.

My Crazy Clan
25th February 2010, 03:42 PM
I was 13 when I brought my first horse Sisco, with no help from adults! I started proper riding at about 11 1/2

funkyboots
25th February 2010, 04:38 PM
ditto BC..lol....(a letter to grampy always overides parents..lol)
er...i could allways ride but had 3-4 proper years (you had to be on waiting list and not miss lessons at my riding school) before i got my first

Loony
25th February 2010, 05:52 PM
Well I've been riding for 6 years, but its nearly 7. Could be 7 by the time I get one.

Pie_x
25th February 2010, 07:14 PM
I got my first horse at the age i am now, 19.

After i've been riding and around horses for 13 years! - Still i'm not the most experienced person I will put my hands up :) Though i know enough to be a horse owner so i'm not a novice lol.

I took a break from horses when i needed it most :( x

dun blonde
25th February 2010, 07:57 PM
Never had a lesson,was bought my first pony when I was 7 years old by my dad who I suspect was suffering a case of 'absent father guilt' at the time;).He bought me a further horse when I outgrew first one,at which point I think the 'absent father guilt' turned to 'I hate my daughter syndrome' as that horse was evil and tried to kill me on several occasions:rolleyes::lol:

helena
25th February 2010, 08:11 PM
I voted less than a year as I grew up on them. Literally. I started riding at 6 months old.

micki
25th February 2010, 09:44 PM
I started riding when i was 10 and my parents bought me Bramble, a 3 month old coloured cob filly, for my 16th birthday present. I was going to buy her myself but they beat me to it :D. I had been riding for the lady she was bought from for a couple of years, i used to break in all the horses that came to us, so i had experience of youngsters before getting Bramble :D.

x x Helen x x
26th February 2010, 06:27 PM
After a year of lessons I wanted a horse but parents wouldnt let me, but they did let me loan a unrideable mare from the local theme park over winter and said if i was able to look after her for the winter months i could then start looking.

I had donme lots of own a pony days etc and went down to the yard and helped out most weekends so got lots of experience then got my first welshxconnie

Tanner
26th February 2010, 07:04 PM
I was on my mum's horse as a very small baby and then got a pony at 3. I got 'my' first real competition horse at 10, though, after 4 years of lessons.

Lobelia Overhill
26th February 2010, 07:41 PM
I was 13 when I started riding and 18 when I bought my first pony, I had a lesson "every" week and did 3 or 5 day courses during the holidays

gallopinggelding
6th March 2010, 01:56 PM
probs about not more than fifteen lessons, but after a twenty year break from ownership , and took the jump!But it was a health move to relieve stress and get fitter :)

doodledoo
6th March 2010, 06:30 PM
i had lessons for 6 years before i got my first horse. i had to save up for that long too! she was well worth it but has sadly passed on now. she was a very difficult mare to look after but was a dream to ride.