PDA

View Full Version : Tell me it'll be OK - I'm starting to wonder!

CDR
1st March 2010, 08:19 PM
Bit of background:
- September 09 I bought Bailey

- November 09 he started having trouble with his back, discovered that because he'd put weight on his saddle wasn't fitting properly.

- November 09 the same day his new gullet arrived I discovered a cut on his foot. He was slightly lame and it ended up getting infected and went on anti-biotics.

- December 09 his foot recovered and I managed to ride him once before all the snow and ice arrived.

- January 10 Was able to ride him again. He's generally great in the school but after a couple of weeks he bolted out of it twice one day and I couldn't get him back in without dismounting (then I shut the gate!).

He's always been difficult out hacking and when I started riding him again in January he was worse. The worse it got was he was trying to bolt and buck me off. I crapped myself and led him home! I've rarely got past the end of the lane.

I then put him on competition livery where they ride him 5 days a week to try and sort out the problems. He was very naughty for them too but started to improve after a few days. Then he got way worse again and we discovered that his back is bad again. I'm now waiting for the physio to come out.

He's pulled off numerous shoes even if turned out with overreach boots although none in the last few weeks thank goodness.

He's been separated from the mares as he's been mounting them and getting very possessive and charging at people when they try to bring them in. So he gets about 4 hours turnout a day in a field by himself, any longer than that and he starts to get stressy but he's ok in his stable. I've got him on 'rig stop' to try and calm that and I think it's working a bit but I don't think the yard want to put him back in the big field yet.

OH is going ape, there was a major row on Friday about money, last month he cost me a total of 500. My own business is struggling with the recession so although we're not broke or anything we don't have a lot of spare cash.

I'm just so fed up with it all and can't see an end to it! I just need some reassurance! Cookies for you if you made it to the end!!

vels mum
1st March 2010, 08:28 PM
Gosh youve had a real run of bad luck, I always find just when youve just about had enough everthing stops going wrong, I think its just horses way of testing us!

Hope the coming months are a bit more stress free and cheaper for you!

Hey its nearly spring then it will be summer we have had a long cold and miserable winter, surely it can only get better!!!!

x x Helen x x
1st March 2010, 08:37 PM
it will end, going through similar at the minute. H came up cut leg and lame November 09, hes still not right and vets bills thankfully insured but meant more hay etc costs. OH moaning hes not ridden and calls him money pit the 2nd

Betseyboo
1st March 2010, 08:38 PM
Ditto VM, poor you...............things can only get better xxxx

funkyboots
1st March 2010, 08:43 PM
ok..i read it all,wheres my cookie? men allways complain about money even if its not thiers your spending. ere...we had steers like that...not got a retracted ball...they can me uncomfortable (even twisting-mate had a dog do that) and explain his attitude to mares etc.

CDR
1st March 2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your support guys, I can't believe you read it all!!

I just feel like it's never ending and that I bought the wrong horse but he's lovely and I want everything to be OK so I can enjoy owning him properly. Spent 2 hours just grooming him on Friday because I couldn't ride him and he was so sweet, nuzzling up to me and everything.

Lesley_78
1st March 2010, 08:57 PM
Aww poor you hope things get better.

xxlauraxx
1st March 2010, 10:26 PM
it will get better hun...:)chin up and try and be positive..

Teej
1st March 2010, 10:40 PM
If his back has been as sore as you say, it's not surprising he's bucking and not happy being ridden. Hopefully once his back is sorted, he will be a pleasure to ride again.

Maria1986
2nd March 2010, 07:04 AM
I am sorry things are not going well at the moment and I hope that everything starts to improve soon.

Laura T
2nd March 2010, 01:16 PM
Claire,

sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. If it's any reassurance I went through a similar thing when I bought my first horse. Bought him, found out he had an internal parasite, got treated, had allergic reaction to antibiotics, few months later started riding him, went lame, had abcess. Treated, couldn't keep shoes on, turned away for 6 months to let hooves grow - 12 months later started riding him properly! After that first 12 months had him 5 years and never had another problem with him in all that time!

So, moral of my story is chin up, things will get better (and cheaper) and you will have many happy years together.

Laura x (have pm'd you some other stuff!)

casper_cb
2nd March 2010, 01:32 PM
I hope things start getting better for you soon.

As you said hopefully his behaviour is partly down to his back and once a routine can be established and he's not sore things will improve, this recent weather has made it impossible to have any sort of consistant routine.

With regard to his cheekyness/ tension a feed supplement I found to be FANTASTIC was Nupafeed Liquid Calmer. To be honest it either works in a matter of days or not at all. Only problem is it's fairly expensive to try if it does not work, but if it helps it truely is worth every penny. Might be worth a try once his back's better?

*Fingers Crossed* things start looking up for you. X

CDR
2nd March 2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks everyone, I needed your words on encouragement!

My Crazy Clan
2nd March 2010, 09:27 PM
He going to be sore for a while so, maybe hes just needs rest, although they are going to try it on, summer will be here soon and your be able to get him out more x