PDA

View Full Version : price please

llloyds12
1st March 2010, 11:25 PM
hi, my friend has got an offer to buy a pony that she helped look after last year. he is a 13.2hh cob, 19yrs old, good temperament, good with other horses but he is broken winded. he comes with all tack and rugs so would just like to know what price you would pay for him please.
many thanks

Lesley_78
1st March 2010, 11:31 PM
I wouldnt be willing to pay more then 500 how much has she been asked to pay?

Barry G
1st March 2010, 11:36 PM
The owner obviously wants to find him a good home.
Ask yourself how you will keep him and be sure to count ALL the costs for a year.
shelter, grass, food, extra tack, insurance, vet

Then ask the owner what she thinks the pony is worth. Be gentle how you negotiate.

If my guess is right the owner wants to relieve him/herself of the obligation to keep the pony - it represents a cost and time liability to nim/her not an asset.

But the owner is paying you a compliment - so be nice to him or her

Lesley_78
1st March 2010, 11:43 PM
Nicely said Barry!

llloyds12
1st March 2010, 11:44 PM
the owner has asked for 600 for him. they have had him for most of his life but are now moving and thier teenagers have no interest so therefore would like to sell him. the thing is, is that 3months ago they offered my friend him for free and she couldnt have him as she had just bought her own, she would love to have him now that her finances are sorted but cannot afford 600 for him. what do you think she should do? many thanks

Lesley_78
1st March 2010, 11:54 PM
the owner has asked for 600 for him. they have had him for most of his life but are now moving and thier teenagers have no interest so therefore would like to sell him. the thing is, is that 3months ago they offered my friend him for free and she couldnt have him as she had just bought her own, she would love to have him now that her finances are sorted but cannot afford 600 for him. what do you think she should do? many thanks

I think they've got a cheek asking money for him after offering him for free :mad: for that I'd say I could only afford 300 and bargin with them!

helena
2nd March 2010, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't pay 600 for a broken winded 19 year old. Personally I think as they know he will get a good home they should be giving him for free. If a horse like that went through a sale, he would only sell for meat, current price for a horse that size would be around 70.

Barry G
2nd March 2010, 10:02 AM
As Helena has said 600 for a broken winded ageing pony is a lot in today's circumstances.

I'd be thinking along the lines of saying - "I am sorry but I simple can't afford that what with the cost of keeping him"

But ask yourself what he is worth to you. The cost of a pony is in the maintenance not just the purchase price. A pony you know has more value to you than one you don't know.

We can't easily value a pony we have never seen - and when the owner is giving up, that is a different deal anyway. Play being penniless.

The pressure is on them to a certain extent but a deal should be fair to both parties.

beks the artist
2nd March 2010, 10:47 AM
A friend of mine bought a 14 hand 18 year old been there done it type, coloured mare. Passed vetting - has a few minor problems for 800. To give you a comparision.

CityLights
2nd March 2010, 11:57 AM
The price of the tack and rugs really, 400 max really

llloyds12
4th March 2010, 01:11 AM
thank you for all your replies. i have passed these on to my friend and after consideration she is going to see the owner tonight to see if she would consider my friend taking him on permanent long term loan. as she has got her other horse/ponies to pay for she feels that if they think that much of the pony then they would allow her to do this and for him to have a lifetime home rather than he be sold to someone else and not know where he is going. if they say no then she will offer up to 300 but only in installments as she cannot afford it all in one go. fingers x they let her have him on loan as she loves him dearly and he would be loved and cared for for the rest of his life. xxx

amandaco
6th March 2010, 02:33 PM
thb i wouldnt pay anything for him at that age and unsound. maybe a token price of 100..?