PDA

View Full Version : Appaloosa's and the gray gene

BEX101
2nd March 2010, 11:14 AM
There's a lot of debate about this at the moment. Personally i like grays but when you buy a spotttie you can understand why someone would be disapointed if the spots went gray (they call them faders) Do you think when advertising a spottie and the seller knows its going to go gray that they should declare it? Afterall you can return a horse if it doersnt meet the discription in the ad. One of the most desirable appy patterns is a "few spot" or "white born" these horses are homozygous for the spotty gene and guarenteed to pass on spots BUT some people are passing off their spotty but gone white/grey horses as fewspots which must be wrong!
The British Appaloosa Society have just brought in a new ruling that all new stallions to be licenced must test negative for the gray gene (some think they should go further and test all breeding stock)

Would you be upset to find your spottie lost its spots?

gem
2nd March 2010, 11:19 AM
I'd be devastated!! Obviously she'd still be the same horse and I absolutely wouldn't love her any less at all but I do adore her spots. I don't know much about colour genes but I'm guessing seeing as she's a few spot and has black skin under her spots she won't fade? I think a few might have gone since I got her but hopefully the ones that are there now won't go. She'll always have her dotty nose anyway :)

I think if I'd bought a horse specifically for it to be spotty and they all faded I'd be quite miffed yeh.

BEX101
2nd March 2010, 11:34 AM
The problem with spotties is that the do change colour. Plus some of the spotty characteristics like roaning/marble or snowflake can look a bit similar to gray. A fader will still have the black skin where the spots were (just no spot on top of it) then again some spotties have mottled skin under their white bits anyway. I think thats why they are introducing the gene test. As far as i know the knapstrupper breed has allready done this and are looking to eradicate the gray gene alltogether

CityLights
2nd March 2010, 11:40 AM
Ive not really seen that many about when i have been showing my appies and the ones that i have tend to actually be spot bred ponies

I think yeah it would be disappointing but at the end of the day appaloosas are constantly changing my first appy started off Chestnut blanket and ended up a very fait strawberry roan with small liver spots and chestnut ears!

although Kizzie has gone to a grey stallion and im praying it doesnt go grey!

Sasca
2nd March 2010, 05:42 PM
Rowans dad started off plastered in big fat spots all over…he is now completly white. You can just see faint markings of them when he's wet.

I want the opposite…i want Rowan to grow some spots!!!

My Crazy Clan
2nd March 2010, 10:21 PM
Of course it would be but a good owner wouldn't love their horse any less for it.

Lorraine
3rd March 2010, 08:16 AM
Spotteds change over the years and I think every owner of a spotted accepts this.

But deceiving people to think they are buying a few spot (homozygous spotted - guaranteed to throw spotted foals 100% of the time) when in fact they are buying another pattern of appaloosa (ie a non-few spot, heterozygous spotted - not guaranteed to throw spotted foals 100% of the time) with the grey gene that makes it look like a few spot is wrong. That would be like advertising a bay horse as a dun, or advertising a 17 year old horse as a 5 year old.

If the seller didn't know it was a grey appaloosa and honestly thought the horse was a few spot appaloosa then that's fair enough as it's simply a mistake - but if the seller knows that the horse is a grey appaloosa and advertises it as a few spot appaloosa then that is deliberate deception and definitely wrong and they should be reported to trading standards, etc.

As few spots are sought after by breeders - if I was a breeder of spotteds, buying what I am led to believe is a few spot, but is in fact a "normal" spotted that looks like a few spot because it has the grey gene I'd be far more than disappointed.