PDA

View Full Version : favourite breeds

doodledoo
5th March 2010, 11:44 PM
i love shetlands and welsh ponies best but also have a soft spot for exmoors. i think its because i had good experiences with these breeds when i learnt to ride as a child. im just curious what other peoples favourite breeds are and why?

fell lover
6th March 2010, 01:08 AM
Fell ponies - used to help show them when I was younger and they have always been my favourite breed.
Also love coloured cobs!

Bay Chaos
6th March 2010, 02:12 AM
Arabs! :) :)

gallopinggelding
6th March 2010, 07:34 AM
Oh for me depends on the horses personality allways:)

xxlauraxx
6th March 2010, 10:08 AM
big chunky and coloured.. vanner cobs

funkyboots
6th March 2010, 10:33 AM
ooo, i used to ride dales as a kid and big coloured shire x's ...reminds me of summer days as a kid.(and barney and marcus the exmoors-lol)
any cob or cob x as thats what i've allways had (all of 2..lol)
but my sports car would probably be a stunning arab or welsh

vels mum
6th March 2010, 10:50 AM
I have to say arabs are fun! Light on there toes quirky and fast!
Love my friesians obviously but never ridden one so fingers x'ed!
Love mu big hunter types who can jump big fences ID X's

annmarie
6th March 2010, 11:11 AM
coulered cobs

fell ponies

haflingers

Lobelia Overhill
6th March 2010, 01:21 PM
Irish Draughts
Connemaras
Irish Sport Horses
Arabs

My Crazy Clan
6th March 2010, 01:35 PM
I don't really have a fav, its more the the individual horse that makes me fall for them and I do like Mixes.

CityLights
6th March 2010, 01:43 PM
I love Appaloosas but they dont tend to be big enough for me, so next on my list of horses to buy is a Knabstrupper and also a Luso or Andaluscian

my boss keeps telling me not to buy either as the dressage judges will not mark me as well as if im on a normal coloured horse or a warmblood, i do have a covert appy that i will do some dressage on though

Crazy i know!

gem
6th March 2010, 02:05 PM
I didn't know much about them until I got one but Appaloosas are now by far my favourite breed. As well as the brilliant colouring they can have they're such sensible, solid horses with a fun streak. I would love to get another one if I ever decide I want 2. If I was looking for something bigger I'd go for an IDx.

sparkey
6th March 2010, 02:27 PM
Connemara's and connie-X's! That's not just because I'm from Ireland - they are SUCH fun with such intelligent heads on their shoulders and they don't need to be pampered, although they wouldn't say no, and they will excell at almost anything!

bimba
7th March 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm a Thoroughbred girl through and through, just love them. In general terms I like big, very horsey horses if that makes sense, I'm always drawn to Warmbloods, IDs etc.

eeek
7th March 2010, 08:15 PM
Standardbreds for me :)

Great fun, fast, athletic, game, intelligent and easy to keep. Plus you can race them!

smellycat
7th March 2010, 08:34 PM
i like IDs and arabs but love my haffy for being so versatile and easy to keep :)

Tanner
7th March 2010, 08:56 PM
Love the athletic, sport horse/WB types so Hanos, Holsteiners, Dutchies ect I also love the athleticisim of a well put together, bigger boned TB.

I also really, really like Fjords. Adorable and versitle :D

If I had to choose though my overall favourite breed is the Quarter Horse or Appendix (crossed with a TB). They race, the do Western, they do dressage, they jump, they are sensible, athletic and easy to keep. Love them!

flambards
7th March 2010, 10:46 PM
I love Thoroughbreds and small sporthorses/ponies. Have to say that currently riding my instructors' 17+ hand Hanoverians, the size just really doesn't suit me at 5'2". I don't mind, but it's not my ideal. I like the midgets that sell cheaper because they don't have the height to be "en vogue" with the sporthorse people over here ;)

Roan Mare
8th March 2010, 02:23 PM
I love all the British native types along with haffies and icelandics.

All equines are beautiful though :)

Poppy and Harmony
8th March 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm going to have to be bias and say New Forest, I've never met/heard of a NF that isn't versatile and can turn a hoof to anything.
They have such ponyish characters and are just soo much fun :D

Only trouble is they are a bit on the small side for me, I would love a big NF as a 2nd pony though :D

I also totally adore traddy cobs, just beautiful creatures

fairyfeet
8th March 2010, 07:58 PM
Favourite has to be New Forest, just love them, so cheeky but will turn a hoof to anything.
Do love shetties, haffies, Fjords, Fells and Highlands too!

Tryingagain
8th March 2010, 08:59 PM
Mine always was the haffie, but gone and bought myself a Connemara so would be cruel not to say them!

CityLights
8th March 2010, 09:28 PM
If I had to choose though my overall favourite breed is the Quarter Horse or Appendix (crossed with a TB). They race, the do Western, they do dressage, they jump, they are sensible, athletic and easy to keep. Love them!#

Mine was a total **** he was the most difficult horse i have ever owned, if he didnt want to do something he wouldnt and he would just go bolt upright, my instructor who has produced her own horses to take round badminton and done loads of schooling over the years refused to ride him he was that bad and bailed off him a few times

backtobasics
8th March 2010, 10:02 PM
welshies and arabs,,,,,welsh cob when i was younger a 14.1 bay called amber,,,my first real horse lol and now my gorge girl 14.3 arab bay kita

Arabmare
17th March 2010, 10:17 AM
Arabs are my favourite horses and Welshies are my fav ponies!! :)

daytona
17th March 2010, 07:03 PM
I have to say I like my big horses - Clydies Shires etc but one of my favourite is the Suffolk Punch very dreamy.

Welly
20th March 2010, 09:35 PM
I love newfies, andalucians, welshies, irish draughts and TBs.. And traditionals.. Oooh I love them all!! xx

OzzieWelshie
20th March 2010, 09:46 PM
Welsh sec D for me! Have always loved them!