PDA

View Full Version : Going to see this gelding on Saturday.

Loony
15th March 2010, 04:50 PM
HM006GB6H

Soph I thought of you immediately with Apple.. he's a full Connie and she's said he needs to know who's boss but he doesn't buck/bolt/nap/rear etc. I'm hoping he has a lot more screws in place than Apple did!

He's dun, he's so pretttyyy. :o

I'm having a bit of a battle with myself over confidence but even though she's already told me he's not really a confidence giver, I've listened to others advice and I'm getting out there and trying horses.

She's already got a few people lined up to see him, no surprise since he's such a sought after colour, but lets hope I can get there in time.

IcarusGirl
15th March 2010, 05:00 PM
Good luck! Even if he's no good, you'll have a much better feeling of what you're after and why you didnt like him.

CityLights
15th March 2010, 05:14 PM
Oo nice looing boy, although looks taller than 15.2 but for you not a problem i suppose

Dont worry about the confidence thing and about people saying they arent confidence giving horses, i think its a very personal thing as to weather or not you get confidence off that horse or if you click

There was a horse i used to ride at my old job, one of the stallions, everyone else always had so many problems with him and really didnt like to ride or handle him, he was a total babe for me and even though he would be naughty, like try jump hedges, **** off and bronk with me quite a bit i still felt totaly confident and happy riding him, and no body else would of said he was a confidence giver

Catg
15th March 2010, 05:26 PM
Oh yes he's very nice, I do like Duns, love the dapples too. Good luck then hun, I'll be thinking of you on Sat x

sazzy925
15th March 2010, 05:51 PM
Good luck with him! Just be careful as he's been off work all winter, so will be unfit - a lot of horse will completely change in character once they're fitter. I have a friend who bought a pony when he was unfit he was absolutely lovely, he got fit and just got so naughty, was like a 2 year old to handle - he did calm down and turn into a lovely pony again with regular work, but he was a nightmare for a good 3 months.

Welly
15th March 2010, 06:59 PM
Shame there's no ridden pictures in his advert. Hope you find the one soon! Will have fingers crossed for you this sat xx

Gillian
15th March 2010, 07:30 PM
He's a very nice looking boy. Hope that it all goes well at the weekend.

helena
15th March 2010, 07:44 PM
He's ok, but well overpriced for a 12 year old who's not a novice ride (or as they put it needs a confident rider) and has no competition record.

gem
15th March 2010, 07:46 PM
He's a very nice looking lad. There's a dun for sale on my yard. Thought of you straight away. Does BSJA and everything. I was all ready to ring you then the owner was like 'He doesn't travel'. So yeh, you could do BSJA in your own field :lol:

With regard to the wording of adverts, I wouldn't advertise Saf as a confidence giver (she'll take the **** if she has the slightest hint she can) and I would say no novices (she needs experience to bring her on) but you know she's a very well behaved, quiet little dot. I guess it just depends on what the sellers mean by what they put. Shame there's no recognised code!

My Crazy Clan
15th March 2010, 08:03 PM
All horses need to know whos boss, story of our lives! hope the viewing goes well, he is pretty but your soon find out if he isn't right for you, i would try and get the price down.

Teej
15th March 2010, 08:12 PM
He's very pretty, good luck with the viewing :)

Lucy
15th March 2010, 08:28 PM
Did she say why he was turned away over winter?? I would definitely get the price down...would pay 2500 for something like him down here...or even less seen as you are buying him unfit. Agree with someone who said that watch out as he may change completely once fit! Good luck

Loony
15th March 2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys :)

helena I know its so overpriced isn't it. Its obviously mostly down to his colour. I have to knock the price down otherwise I'll have to turn away and go home, I can't afford everything else I need aswell as paying 3k for him. I don't think she'd go lower though, there'll be lots of people out there who will pay that for a dun.

Lucy I'm assuming it's because of work commitments, which is whats forcing the sale. Coming home from work to dark nights, etc.

amandaxx1
16th March 2010, 09:26 AM
Best of luck dearest! x

amandaxx1
16th March 2010, 11:13 AM
Wow that one is gorgeous Soph! Does look like he has a pair underneath though...

coloredred
16th March 2010, 11:18 AM
Wow that one is gorgeous Soph! Does look like he has a pair underneath though...

Definitely not a gelding in that photo :lol:

My Crazy Clan
16th March 2010, 11:31 AM
I posted about him lastweek Apple, he is stunning and yes photo must have been before he was gelded.

Catg
16th March 2010, 12:10 PM
Is it Saturday yet? :lol:

Loony
16th March 2010, 12:13 PM
Lmao :lol: Not quite! Someones going to see him today so lets hope I don't get a phonecall later saying he's sold.

africa
16th March 2010, 12:29 PM
He looks lovely hope you at least get to see him. Agree about not worrying too much about the confidence giver thing. Cassie was definitely not a confidence giver when we bought her since she was only 4 but she gave me confidence anyway.

Lucy
16th March 2010, 01:31 PM
Oh my god Soph...he is STUNNING! He has a Welsh body though? Dont you agree???

bimba
16th March 2010, 01:42 PM
He's lovely looking, good luck on Saturday!

a11gac
16th March 2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry I am still new - how do you search by the code?

Autumn
16th March 2010, 01:56 PM
He looks lovely, fingers crossed that you get to see him. As others have said, even if he's not the one, it's all good experience. x

Loony
16th March 2010, 03:14 PM
Sorry I am still new - how do you search by the code?

Hiya if you search in Google for Horsemart, then copy and paste the code into the search box. :)

My Crazy Clan
16th March 2010, 03:35 PM
fingers crossed, hes the spit of my aunt mare Candy (RIP) she was Welsh X Connie.

dun blonde
16th March 2010, 07:44 PM

helena I know its so overpriced isn't it. Its obviously mostly down to his colour. I have to knock the price down otherwise I'll have to turn away and go home, I can't afford everything else I need aswell as paying 3k for him. I don't think she'd go lower though, there'll be lots of people out there who will pay that for a dun.

Well they might pay that for a true dun,but as he's a buckskin hun it gives you room to haggle if that is why he is so overpriced;)

AFAIK dun is not present in the connie gene pool,and from those pics I would say is definitely buckskin,no dorsal stripe,no frosting,face mask etc,and that washed out pale body colour is very common in buckskin,not so common in dun.It is a common mistake,anything with a golden or sandy body colour and black mane,tail and points often get's referred to as dun when it isn't.Horsemart doesn't offer a colour option for buckskin when listing a horse for sale either,so people often put the closest thing which is dun.

Guess it doesn't matter if you just like his colour for what it is,but if you did particularly want a dun for showing in certain classes or whatever,then he won't qualify I'm afraid.

I love duns,not such a fan of buckskins,but if you like him and he ticks your boxes,then go haggle,and make it clear to them that he's only a fake dun so worth less;):D

helena
16th March 2010, 08:01 PM

Lucy I'm assuming it's because of work commitments, which is whats forcing the sale. Coming home from work to dark nights, etc.

I'm glad you can see beyond the colour Loony. I find the best thing to do with a nice coloured horse is to try and imagine them in the most boring dull bay. If you're still liking the horse without the special colour well fine, but if not, walk away. Personally would not pay over the odds for any colour.:)

My Crazy Clan
16th March 2010, 09:32 PM
I don't think his price reflects his coloring to be honest, when most owners sell their horse they want as much as they can get. i wonder how much she actually paid for him and how long shes had him.

Loony
16th March 2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for that dun blonde, I wouldn't be able to spot a dun from a buckskin in all honesty!

dun blonde
17th March 2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for that dun blonde, I wouldn't be able to spot a dun from a buckskin in all honesty!

No problem,I am a bit of a colour bore:o Don't know loads about it,but find it really interesting,and know a bit about duns particularly as used to have one,and did think about breeding her,so did some research.

Things to distinguish a true dun are dilute body colour and the dorsal stripe down the back (that gelding you are looking at doesn't appear to have one at all from what I can see in pic),this is present in ALL duns.You can sometimes get a false dorsal stripe which is more like shading and not as pronounced,and tends to come and go with coat changes,seasons etc.A true dorsal stripe will be very distinct and present no matter what time of year.

Not all duns have the other features to a huge degree,but many of them will be present if you look,darker face mask,and darker patches on shoulder and wither area,especially in winter.Frosting on the mane and sometimes tail (my filly's looked like she had blonde highlights lol).Zebra striping on legs.My filly had the lot so was quite easy for me,but some are harder to tell if they don't have all the features.

A buckskin will basically just be a lighter coloured body,usually sandy or golden coloured,but the shade can vary,with black points,mane and tail.

The easiest way to figure it out though is that the dun gene is only present in certain breeds.Mainly highlands,shetlands,icelandics,fjords,quarter horses,and I think andalucians,there are probably others but can't think of them off hand.

It is NOT present in most of our native breeds including welsh and connie,buckskin is a fairly common colour in these two breeds however,hence the confusion that often arises with welsh and connie colouring.There is a query on the new forest having dun present,but is more likely they don't carry it.Highlands and shetlands are the only natives AFAIK that definitely carry the dun gene.

I guess in many way's it doesn't matter a huge amount,only really if you wanted to breed or show,or if you're OCD like me and like to have the real thing,and not something that just looks similar:ashamed: Many buckskins are very pretty,and if it's just the 'look' that someone is after,then would be ideal as have more options in terms of breed and availability.It just drives me a little bit potty to see all these buckskins described as dun,but I think with sale sites it's that buckskin isn't on the colour list,so people go for the closest match.It would matter in terms of price though if someone *is* asking more on the basis it's dun,and it's a buckskin then it could be of importance.

ktsval
17th March 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think his price reflects his coloring to be honest, when most owners sell their horse they want as much as they can get. i wonder how much she actually paid for him and how long shes had him.

Duns are very sought after with connemara people. They are pretty rare in comparison to other colours. The lady I help with her connies has bred bred 3 foals out of 1 mare since I've known her and only got 1 dun despite the right genes etc being there.

dun blonde
17th March 2010, 06:45 PM
Duns are very sought after with connemara people. They are pretty rare in comparison to other colours. The lady I help with her connies has bred bred 3 foals out of 1 mare since I've known her and only got 1 dun despite the right genes etc being there.

Connies cannot be duns,the dun gene is not present in the connie.It will be buckskin I suspect:)

My Crazy Clan
17th March 2010, 09:27 PM
dun blonde- lol love your replies :D

Susan
18th March 2010, 03:12 PM
Good luck with it Loony! Enjoy yourself!

I think that it is still the norm for a lot of people to speak of dun when genetically the colour is buckskin. Is all this colour genetic stuff not quite recent? Even the Connemara pony society call it dun. Totally accept that if we are speaking genetically it is not, but I think it'll be a while before buckskin is in common use. I am used to Highlands with the true 'genetic dun' markings so can spot a buckskin but I still think of it in my head as a dun, lol!

africa
18th March 2010, 03:24 PM
This colour genetic stuff is interesting. When I was younger a friend had a dun connie mare. Now clearly from what dun blonde says she either wasn't pure connie or wasn't really a dun.

She had a dorsal stripe, zebra stripes on her legs and frosting in mane and tail but I can't remember if she had dark patches. Can a non dun still have the features she had or would she have had to be a connie cross?

Zeitgeist Mom
18th March 2010, 05:54 PM
Very interesting info about duns. I always thought buckskin was the American word for dun :ashamed:!

He is a nice looking horse, and quite big for a connie. At first I was a little concerned about him needing a confident rider, as you have said yourself you can be a little nervous. I used to have a connie cross and she sure could be tricky. However, I got her when I was eleven years old, and she was wayyyy too much for me to handle. But I had her for 13 years, and she taught me heaps (mostly the hard way :lol:). I think sometimes it is just as important to buy a horse you can 'grow into' as it is to by one which suits you now. If you buy one which is just perfect for you now, you may be bored with it in a year's time. I don't mean 'bored' in that you won't like it anymore, but you may be finding it is not enough of a challenge anymore, or wish it was a little more capable, or forward.

ktsval
18th March 2010, 06:37 PM
Connies cannot be duns,the dun gene is not present in the connie.It will be buckskin I suspect:)

It is classed as Dun as far as the connie enthusiasts are concerned.. The lady in question has bred connies for years with her own stallion and mares with this colouring in mind as they are so sought after for the show ring and if of the right stamp sell for more usually.