PDA

View Full Version : A little niggle

Kim
16th March 2010, 12:33 PM
Just a little niggle, i think im being a bit impatient. One of the girls rode our new pony again today for half hour and said she was absolutely fine. But i went into her stable with her, and she picked up her feed bowl and dropped it, it frightened her and she almost leapt out of the stable !! She seems really jumpy, she is really nice when im in the stable with her, but shes a little fidgety with her head, like if i touch her face or ears, could she be head shy? of is she just still a little nervous about her new stable and home? I may be being silly picking at little things, but i so want this first pony to be safe and sound and not a nervous wreck !!

Is this just because she is still a little scared ?

Catg
16th March 2010, 12:39 PM
It's difficult to say without knowing her or seeing her do it but yes it's very possible she is unsettled by the move.

If you put yourself in her position everything is completely different. New yard, new people, the grass/hay/water will taste different in a new area so it doesn't surprise me that she is acting how she is but that might be just how she is. I'd ask the people she came from and see what they say x

Welly
16th March 2010, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't worry too much - she was ridden and was fine, so she doesn't sound the type who isn't genuine.. She's bound to be unsettled by the move.. Just keep being consistent and very fair but firm with her and let her learn whats expected of her.. She could be slightly edgy of having her head/ears handled - lots are, especially with new people - but if thats the worst you get from her then you've def found a good one!! xx

My Crazy Clan
16th March 2010, 02:52 PM
You've only had her since Friday? horses need time to settle, no matter how much time it is they need it, everything is new to her shes bound to be feeling it, give her time.

gallopinggelding
16th March 2010, 07:55 PM
Maybe settling in, some animals dont like anyone near them if there eating though

Kim
16th March 2010, 08:27 PM
Saw her again tonight.... aww she really is a lovely pony. We took her out of her stable and tied her up and groomed her and picked her feet. She didnt flinch.

She is a bit cheeky though, like if you stroke her nose or go near her mouth she thinks theres food coming and tries to rummage around near your pockets and pushes you around a bit. She also tries to have a gnaw and nibble on your hands if u tickle her nose, she licks a lot too which is fine. She is so damn cute though. I think she is quite strong minded. If she doesnt wanna go the way you want her too in the stable she will push the boundries a little bit, by trying to nuzzle you away, and boy is she strong.

She was schooled for 30 mins today by one of the grooms and she did really well. No shying. Tomorrow she is going out for a hack to see how she is in traffic. Also today she was let loose with another pony in the school for a free for all. She loved it and cantered around and played with the other pony too. She seems a happy soul. We have till Saturday for our yard owner to decide if she is ok for my Daughter. It's soooooooooooooo nerve racking. :rofl: