PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Sec D's - What can they carry?

Pie_x
16th March 2010, 08:52 PM
Just wondering what is the top weight in stones a welsh seccy d can carry? (Post not with regards to me) yet was thinking of letting someone experienced i know take Annie out in the day whilst i'm working, to get her fit and to get her used to the area.

I wouldn't like to guess her weight! She is not 'fat' , just quite tall and big boned?! - Gosh i sound awful! :lol:

Annie is 15hh welsh sec d, 4yrs. She isn't fit at the moment but is quite a hardy little mare. I am 5'1 and weigh 9stones at the moment and she carries me fine. :)

Any advice would be much appreciated please! x

so-n-so
16th March 2010, 09:09 PM
im not a fan of letting 'big' riders on smaller horses, even if people say they can carry them, as annie is young, and not fit i would say 10 1/2 - but some people may disagree wih me. xx

Pie_x
16th March 2010, 09:18 PM
Same here really, I would never forgive myself if Annie looked awkward etc. The girl concerned has a 15.2hh Cob, he's not a heavy cob but hes a bit bigger built then ann.

I don't dare ask her how much she weighs lol! She doesn't look heavy, yet shes bigger than me. If not, I might try find a light weight rider for her because i'm not doing her any justice getting her out in the day! (This isn't going to be for long) But in the meantime i'd like her to be in ridden work xx

Poppy and Harmony
16th March 2010, 09:28 PM
They can carry alot more than we give them credit for!
But do agree for a youn, unfit horse to keep weight levels to a minimum.

For a fit 15hh Welsh D I wouldnt think twice about putting 12 stone on them, and probably more.

H is only a 13.2hh New Forest and I'm pushing 11 stone, yet she has no trouble carrying me. Although I would be wary of anyone alot heavier than me

My Crazy Clan
16th March 2010, 10:04 PM
It's down to the individual horse really, you should never go on breed, the only way your going to see for sure is if you let her ride her with you there, if you don't like her on her then say no.

gem
16th March 2010, 10:20 PM
I loaned a 14.3hh sec D and she carried me (11st) fine but she was about 10 and was pretty fit. Depending on the work I'd say upto about 10.5st until she fills out a bit.

Pie_x
16th March 2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks all.

Googled it, some people where putting 14stone on their back's. I'm sure they would be super fit welshies though! I think I would risk putting 10 and a half on Annie at the mo. If she was fit, deffo more.
Probably being realistic, she will probably be a bit too heavy for Annie!

Though like Rhea said, if I just let her have a 'sit' .. what do i do if shes instantly too big? Scream at her 'GET OFF MY ******* PONY NOW - YOUR BREAKING HER BACK!!'
Lmao!
x

My Crazy Clan
17th March 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks all.

Googled it, some people where putting 14stone on their back's. I'm sure they would be super fit welshies though! I think I would risk putting 10 and a half on Annie at the mo. If she was fit, deffo more.
Probably being realistic, she will probably be a bit too heavy for Annie!

Though like Rhea said, if I just let her have a 'sit' .. what do i do if shes instantly too big? Scream at her 'GET OFF MY ******* PONY NOW - YOUR BREAKING HER BACK!!'
Lmao!
x

:pmsl: Never thought about what your would have to say to get out of it :o

Pie_x
17th March 2010, 09:24 PM
LOL! Thats the only problem Rhea hahaha.

I think I shall just give it a miss altogether ;) hehe xx

beks the artist
17th March 2010, 10:40 PM
Well, according to you lot I shouldn't ride my Welshies then! LOL! ;)

I am 12 1/2 stone, 5'3. I own two Welsh Cobs. Taran jumps 3'3 easierly with me on his back. I have regular lessons on him, my R.I has never commented I am too big for him!

Jakes' old loaner was 5'10 and 14 stone (she isn't fat, just big boned). Jake is a 14.2 table (Welsh) with a leg on each corner... he took her fine, absolutely no problem, regularly flew around the fields.

Welsh Cobs, along with other working 'pony' / small horse breeds like Icelantics, Highlands, New Forests etc etc were bred to carry grown men, plus their packs...

I would much perfer a heavier 'rider' than a lightweight complete beginner to ride my horses.

bella127
18th March 2010, 02:13 PM
I'm with Beks on this! I am 5'9 and 12 stone and don't think twice about riding my sec D - he is 14.3hh ish and leg at each corner type, but even when he was a scrawny 3y/o he was more more than capable of carrying me happily.

My friend who is 16.5st had a play and a little jump on him and he seemed perfectly happy with her too. Yet he got very, very arsey when a 10st, more unbalanced rider got on - he was genuinely unhappy with her weight.

It all depends, there's no set answer.

sazzy925
18th March 2010, 04:33 PM
There's a lad at my school who's similar, except he's older and fairly fit - he carries up to around 12 1/2 - 13 stone with experienced riders, and he's never had a problem with any of that weight at all.
Welsh section Ds are built to carry heavier weight. Though if she's younger and unfit I'd say around 11 stone - 11 1/2 stone max.

My Crazy Clan
19th March 2010, 11:49 AM
Beks, but were they? when you really think about it, we didn't breed horses, so how they turned out wasn't up to us?

Sisco was ridden by a 14 stone man on at 3years old, now that did nothing for his back, it became dipped, he was newly broke i would have said, I would say that was far to much.

But I would rather see a good heavier rider then one that can't ride.

My mum rode all ours, now she was around 12/14 stone (pregnant) but she sure to hell didn't look like it, the horses took her well because she is a good rider.

doodledoo
19th March 2010, 12:10 PM
i would say no more than 13st for a youngster, as long as they are an experienced balanced rider. more for an older horse, maybe up to 15 or 16 stone maximum.

coloredred
19th March 2010, 03:23 PM
You have to take into account length of back too. Mares tend to have longer backs than geldings/stallions which means they won't be quite as strong. Also what type of welshie is she? Is she fairly light boned or the heavier type? The heavier boned ones will carry more.

africa
19th March 2010, 03:44 PM
Agree with Poppy that we often underestimate what horses can carry. Murphy is 15.2 and a TB type he carries my OH more than happily who weighs up to 13 and half stone depending on how much exercise he's been doing :lol:

You can use this formula to get an idea of what they can carry:
Take the total weight of horse, rider and tack (in pounds) then divide this by the circumference of the canon bone (in inches) then divide by 2.
You normally get a number between 75 and 85, if it's over 85 then the horse isn't really up to the weight. For a youngster I'd try and get the number nearer the lower end.

To be honest I don't see the harm in asking her weight. If she doesn't want to tell you she can just say she'd rather not and you're wanting to know so you can be sure Annie will be comfortable not because you're trying to be nosy.