PDA

View Full Version : Feedmark Settlex

chunkman
18th March 2010, 01:45 PM
thinking of starting my horse on Feedmark Settelex - but can anyone let me know if it works or not. read some different opinions on the net about it. HELP PLEASE

Lorraine
23rd March 2010, 06:08 AM
Tibbs windsucks and I use Settlex and it does seem to reduce his windsucking. I tried another product called Anti-suck from Global herbs before and he wouldn't eat it no matter how much I disguised the taste!

chunkman
23rd March 2010, 09:46 AM
lorraine, thnaks for this. is it something that you would recommend to other people. it i jut that i tried everything and well i would prefer it to clear him from doing it rather than reduce it? thanks for your advice

CityLights
23rd March 2010, 10:55 AM
I have in the past fed it to Ollie and found out of the products i used for winduskcing and ulcers it seems to reduce his winduskcing the most although nto all together and is one of the cheapest to feed,

Its quite annoying to feed as it is really powedery so sticks round your bucket quite a lot but you can make it into a kind of liquid or paste to put in the feed instead

Lorraine
23rd March 2010, 04:42 PM
S&W - that's what I do too. I put it in the bucket, add water to make a paste then add feed and mix.

CityLights
23rd March 2010, 06:04 PM
i kinda make a soup in my bucket add a bit of chop like a handfull make that like soak it up and get coated in it and then add the rest of the feed

chunkman
23rd March 2010, 06:22 PM
would you syringe it down the throat if he doesnt take to it? or is it too pastey to do this?

its a shame it isnt an easy application like just adding it to food - or drinking water. i will defo give this a go and report my findings back. thanks for the help here...

CityLights
23rd March 2010, 06:46 PM
its like a really fine powder litterally like flour, you can make a paste but its not easy to do as its very thin i could never get a good paste it was always very watery, you could syringe it i suppose maybe if you put it with something else to make it thicker,

i dont know its strange stuff you will find a way to feed it though

chunkman
24th March 2010, 12:11 PM
coolio - will let you know how i get on - this guy i am trying it on - basically - if it works - excellent. i will buy every throughbred in the country that crib bites and wind sucks (as they go cheap) :)...

SMILE and Wave - is there anything else that you would consider for windsucking and crib biting - for instance if I dont get the desired results - just getting to the end of my tether with him - as teeth are beginning to grind away

Christine
24th March 2010, 12:26 PM
Settlex is deffo the best antacid on the market (in my opinion) it just takes a few weeks to work, cribox (gooey & smells like vomit) i found to be the best thing to paste on stable door etc. The young TB x i had just about stopped cribbing but my current veteran horse must've been doing it for umpteen years, there's no hope for her, top teeth worn nearly to the gum!
C x

sidesaddlevic
25th March 2010, 01:22 PM
I used this on my horse and found it didn't help at all - sorry i know that doens't help much but i heard really good reports about it and was quite excited about using it and it working, and i saw no difference at all in his cribbing behaviour.

CityLights
25th March 2010, 06:30 PM
luckily my horse doesnt get hold to wind suck and is getting much better

I have tried the hilton herbs one but didnt find it worked that well, there is a product i have been recommended by Equimins called Gastrogold i think, there is also gastor shiled and gastro gaurd

if he is really bad and the settlex doesnt work you could do with getting him scoped to check for ulcers the vet then gives you something i think gastrogaurd that they take for six weeks and then re scopes, my horse we suspect has got ulcers but as he is not mine and his owner wont pay for the treatment we just have to try manage him best we can, he is out pretty much all day and in at night and always has plenty of food to eat