PDA

View Full Version : What should a 'rider' offer?

Maria
23rd March 2010, 06:22 PM
I'm willing to offer, to the right person, one of my girls to ride. I'd like company to hack out with and in a month or so I will have a trailer so will be able to do more things. I'm not expecting any financial/work contribution but...

What would you be willing to do for some lovely off road riding and (soon to be) more?

If you were offering a horse to ride, would you expect anything in return? (Obviously to treat the horse well but anything else?)

Just curious.
Thanks.

CityLights
23rd March 2010, 06:47 PM
if they were coming riding one of mine i would want them to do things like make nets when they come down or muck out things like that, i mean really making nets and mucking out takes what fifteen mins, for a free ride thats nothing is it

Susan
23rd March 2010, 06:49 PM
Interesting post! I think that people do have different things, as riders, to offer just as owners want sharers for different reasons. Some may be very good riders who are offering the busy owner almost a business deal - they get riding and the horse is kept fit by a competent person who mainly wants to ride. Others may be more average but are offering help with chores, or a financial contribution or to treat the horse as their own and give it a lot of fuss.

For me, I wasn't offering much in the way of expertise! I was offering a financial contribution and to really love and look after the horse whilst I was with it. I ended up with an owner who did not want a financial contribution, she just wanted her second horse to have some love, fuss and a bit of exercise, and for me to do the odd thing to help out when needed. This has grown over three years and I think it has been beneficial to both of us. I always think I get most out of it, but she tells me that I am a great help, lol! I do hope I am! For example I will groom at shows or travel to a lesson with her. For me this is a brilliant chance to be in the horsey world and to learn, for her she has company and someone to watch the car keys and do the fetching and carrying. Also, if I am up on a day that she isn't I can do both horses if she isn't going to make it up. We have also being doing other fun horsey things together like going ot watch the SJ at Ingliston and are talking about the RHS this year. I think of her as my friend now and hope she does me too. It just works really well for us. She could have a better rider than me, but she knows she can trust me with both the horses and with all her stuff.

Maria
23rd March 2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. That's really interesting to read, Susan, and you make an interesting point... the person interested in riding with me has not ridden for ten years. I think she was a fairly competent rider in her younger days though. We've only 'spoken' through e-mail.

From my point of view I think I will be really lucky if I manage to find someone I am able to trust and who is reliable. Also I will have company to ride out with so in theory, I should be riding more and my riding should improve.

She hasn't mentioned any financial contribution or help with chores.

From her point of view things must be looking quite nice too...?? Especially is she is expecting just to come up, get on, ride and go home....

Horse Mad Mum
23rd March 2010, 09:39 PM
I think she will offer to do some chores, I mean I would it sounds amazing !! will be interested to see how you get on ! HMM

samhall_ogden
23rd March 2010, 09:48 PM
I have someone come to ride Rob she is a more competant rider than me and I look on it as her that is doing me the favour as she is working with him and schooling him for me. She also hacks him out as on his own it wasn't his favorite thing.

I don't know what I would do without her. I ask nothing from her but to come and ride as often as she can.

Twizzel
23rd March 2010, 09:51 PM
If I was taking up someone's offer to ride their horse on a regular basis, I would be more than happy to do all yard work on the day I rode to give the owner a bit of a break. Financial contribution maybe, but depends on why you're offering the horse to be ridden- are you short of money or short of time? If it's time, then the rider is helping out in that respect and shouldn't really pay too, but then again it does differ with every arrangement and situation.

a11gac
23rd March 2010, 10:28 PM
I think if you are happy for them to ride and not pay towards it the least they can do is groom the horse and help with some of the yard duties etc in return.

Maria
24th March 2010, 06:22 AM
I'm just looking for company to hack out with, for now money is not a problem but I have a temporary job at the moment so that could change. Time isn't much of an issue either as the weather is coming nicer now so I have the weekends off and possibly time after work. The potential rider admits she will be a bit rusty (who wouldn't though after 10yrs off).
She'll visit soon - I wonder what she'll make of my girls.

annmarie
24th March 2010, 08:36 AM
when my daughter left me with aero i just had a girl to hack him out so he wernt bored in stable i was just glad he was getting out and about i paid all cost and did all the jobs but i enjoye doing the jobs anyway plus i knew he was ok if i seen him everyday lol

whith thomas my boy who i have lessons on a monday i do all jobs groom and give him attention xx

lilholley
24th March 2010, 10:33 AM
I would expect them to help with the jobs, as if nothing else it helps show they're not just interested in turning up, riding your horse and going again. I think it would help create a better bond between horse & rider too.

My sharer rides 3 days a week and does Bella on those days - poo picks and feeds basically. She gives me money towards Bella's keep too - 50 a month. I think its a pretty good deal for both of us, she gets 12 days a month of unlimited horsey access for 50 (think how much that'd cost in lessons) and I get Bella exercised and looked after

micki
25th March 2010, 12:10 PM
When ever i've had someone ride one of my horses i've always got them to give me a hand with the chores, in particular muck picking in the field. I get bored on my own all the time so they are doing me a favour by giving me company, so i don't want any money off them as they are doing me a favour and get me riding more :D
The person who is going to try Danser hasn't ridden for 5 years but aslong as she can handle her i'm not worried about that. I haven't ridden properly for 8 years so we'll both improve together :lol:.

Horse Mad Mum
25th March 2010, 04:09 PM
I think someone to ride and someone to share are two different things !!! If you a re sharing your horse then so me you are offering them the cahnce to more or less have them as their own fro that half of the week, and as such amy pay a financial contribution, I struggel to pay Goldei on my own and have the most wonderful sharers who are happy to pay something towards her keep, I realsie this is not always the case, not sure this is what you are looking for Marie ? HMM X