PDA

View Full Version : Would you breed a 16hh TB to...

My Crazy Clan
26th March 2010, 11:57 PM
a Welsh Section A? I know I wouldn't, surly he could do some damage:confused:

If you go to Dragon Driving and Scroll down to "Ajay, 16hh TB Riding Stallion - New" your see the black stallion thats for sale or swap!

BEX101
27th March 2010, 08:43 AM
People do though! There's someone with a spotted stallion near me thats over 16hh (quite chunky) and its put to allsorts of ponies. the growth of foals is very much restricted by the size of the mare but i'd be more worried about putting a bigger "hefty" stallion to a smaller "finer" mare.
I must admit i have a strange curiosity to know what my 15.1hh TB mare would throw to a Sec B stallion.

Anni~Bell
27th March 2010, 11:07 AM
He only runs with them doesn't mean he does breed with them surely?

CityLights
27th March 2010, 11:11 AM
You wouldnt cover natraully but there is no harm putting bigger stallions to small mares if you are careful and choosing the right combination, at work we breed dressage ponies combiging sucessful dressage horses with some quality native pony stock to try and breed small dressage ponies much like the germans,

We have two section B mares, a section A, a Connie x TB who is 14.2 and a section C mare all have had foals from stallions ranging from 14.2 to 16.3 obviously all by AI and the foals have got the movement of the big horses but are small

My Crazy Clan
27th March 2010, 12:05 PM
He only runs with them doesn't mean he does breed with them surely?

If hes running with them I would have thought hes had foals:confused:
It said hes covered from welsh section A to 17hh, just had a another foal born this year.

SAW - That doesn't sound too bad, if you doing it that way but I have heard about bigger stallions ripping the mares insides.

I'm not saying its wrong but I would fear for my mare, with a ****** stallion.

dun blonde
27th March 2010, 12:34 PM
I think the danger is more related to the size of the foal itself,rather than the mating act.

A small boned and sized mare could and often do have trouble carrying and giving birth to foals of a large size.Naturally horses would breed with their own type as they run in herds,when we interfere to much with this selection process it can cause problems.

No different than people in a way,if someone small boned has a child with someone of a totally different and much larger build,they will usually need assistance during the birth,as the pelvis cannot accomodate the size of the infant.

micki
27th March 2010, 03:06 PM
Personally no i wouldn't. When i bred Danser i was told not to put Bramble to a stallion any bigger than 2hand taller than her. I used a 16.3hh tb stallion to a well built 14.3hh cob mare. She had no problems foaling and Danser only ended up making 15.1hh.

CityLights
27th March 2010, 06:54 PM
the theroy behind it is also the mare will only grow a foal big enough that she can comfortablly carry, so although you could keep putting her to a large stallion it might only be best to do it for the first few foals as the foals automatically seem to get bigger so the later on in the number she has the bigger it could be and the more problems she could have

amandaco
18th April 2010, 01:24 PM
i wouldnt.

funkyboots
18th April 2010, 02:13 PM
if it was the same theory as cattle,no i would'nt

BEX101
18th April 2010, 03:59 PM
I'm 5ft5 and Rick is 6ft6. Rosie was our 1st baby and i definitely wasnt going to be able to give birth to her myself. She wasnt a heavy baby just really long and got stuck in my pelvis so i had an emergency c section.

Dancer had 2 foals by the same stallion (him and her both being 15.1) the second foal was a whopper and even though she managed it was obviously more difficult for her. (1st foal finished at 15hh but second foal was 16.2hh at 2 yrs old)

I know that the size of the mare will restrict the size of the foal but it shouldnt be taken for granted.

Meeny Miny Mo
20th April 2010, 02:54 PM
i think its a pretty daft thing to do, my friend on my yard put her 13.2 part bred welsh to a 16.2 warmblood and the foal died as a result, nearly lost the mare too cos the foal was that big