Equine World UK
Countrybase Store
Pet Web Site

Go Back   Equine World UK > Horse Riding And Equestrian Disciplines > Dressage

Notices

Old 29th March 2012
Unbacked Youngster

Barry G can tell one end of a horse from the other

We heard today that the ulcers have almost been cured. The medication worked wonders. That is the good news.

But when looking down the scope the vet stirred up dollops of slime which dropped out of her nose onto the floor. It is not ODCP - the problem is something else - but what else can give - occasionally - a dry cough without discharge.??? But whatever it is, it might account for her recent lethargy.

I just want my horse back but fit and well.

Old 29th March 2012
Unbacked Youngster

Cas, I don't think you'll be meeting my Girlie at Hartpury.

We've got three weeks and we are running out of time. Anyway, she needs to fitten up after her lethargy. The ulcers are gone, that's the good news but what is this phlegm thingie? I don't know.

But I did feel sorry for her standing there all of a wobble with a tube up her nose. She was getting first class service and we were all looking on but the end result was the same: "take these medications and phone for another appointment"

She s not out of the wood yet, that's for sure.

Old 30th March 2012
Well Schooled Horse

casper_cb knows a thing or two about horsescasper_cb knows a thing or two about horses
Send a message via MSN to casper_cb

Poor Didi and you. Horses are such a worry.

I hope she picks up soon.

Old 8th April 2012
Unbacked Youngster

Well folks, to those of you who have been following the tale of DiDi, the story takes a new twist. SHe'll not be going to the Petplan Nationals for sure and I doubt whether I shall submit her to further dressage training either.

The vet who treated her for ulcers is away but when he returns he will be inspecting her lungs to establish why she has a repetitive dry cough as and when she breaks into trot and not necessarily under the weight of the rider. There are a couple of possibilities but COPD is not suspected. We'll see.

My thoughts these days are for a complete change of direction for her. What I need to know is what she is fit for - literally. It could be that we shall remove her from all stress and let her tell us what she wants from life. It would all be so much easier if she could talk.

Old 20th April 2012
Unbacked Youngster

Well the good news is that the lung issue is not serious. SHe has a few small lesions but nothing which arouses in the vet any concern. He sat and explained to me the science.

I asked him what he would do and the answer came back - "put her out in a field and take the pressure off the ulcers".
And that is what we shall do.

I am neither competitive when it comes to my horse nor am I knowledgeable about the black art of dressage. I am going to leave that world to the ladies in future.

This episode in my time with DiDi has been revealing. Hopefully within a few days she will be back in the field at the end of my garden. She can spend the summer eating grass and taking in the rays - maybe that will make her sweet tempered.

Old 24th April 2012
Unbacked Youngster

When I went up to her yesterday, she was as tight as a drum head, She is that kind of horse. To see her standing there: head up, ears pricked, taught. The cause was only a couple talking whilst walking up the lane with their dogs and chatting together.

But DiDi was ready to go.

As it happened, I managed to calm her down and she came down off her perch.

There's never a dull moment with this horse, she's all mare.
But sometimes, and this was one such occasion, I fear for her.

Old 19th May 2012
Unbacked Youngster

There's been a lapse in my reporting on DiDi's progress. Sorry - here's an update.

The vet was understating DiDi's lung problem - she has early EMPF - Equine Multinodular Pulmonary Fibrosis which is associated with a herpes virus named EHV5. It is incurable and will no doubt spread in her lungs in due course.

The treatment is a human medication which is used for Herpes and Kidney exchange.
The side effects of taking 3 tablets a day seemingly embrace every side effect known to man. So when I am told to feed DiDi 66 tablets ie 3x22 a day, then I got concerned. Luckily my insurance company will pick up the tab - some insurers will hesitate.

At one stage DiDI was coughing at the rate of 35 coughs per hour. Yesterday she was down to about 4 dry coughs per hour. And she was vexatious to boot. On one recent very severe attack of coughing I thought she was coughing her heart up. I took a video, which makes you cry to watch.

Where is she going? - well she has ten more days of treatment but at least all she has to eat now are 15 tablets, twice a day. She looks OK. She's taking her medicine as long as I bribe her. If she comes through, then arrangements have been made for her to go for 6 months rest and recuperation and live in a field of friend of mine in a leafy green valley in rural Surrey. It is a beautiful and quiet place. She'll put on weight; she has already lost physical fitness but she will live. And there have been times over the last couple of weeks when I have worried about whether she will survive the treatment, let alone the ailment.

Look up EMPF. It is a newly recognised ailment. The treatment is very expensive. But thankfully cases are rare - very rare, In a way DiDi was lucky in that the fundamental health problem for her were not disobedience, nerves, early arthiritis, an ongoing issue following a nasty fall three years ago, hormones, ovaries, level 4 ulcers - it was most likely living with EMPF and a combination of all the other things. The multiple symptoms of her health issues were confusing the observer. I have always known she is the dominant huzzy of an Irish mare and she can be stroppy. But when she is suffering she deserves consideration.

For the moment, life goes on. DiDi's not strutting her stuff for the time being - that's all.
She is not out of the wood yet. She might never be ridden again. We'll see.

When I get to her paddock, there she is, waiting for me to arrive. Her ears are pricked up and she'll walk over to say: 'hello'. That's her cue for me to cut the pears up into small slices - she is addicted to juicy pears followed by a walk in hand in order to eat the new green shoots of grass in the verges. Oh and she loves a treacle lick.

She is not out of the wood yet. She might never be ridden again. We'll see.

Last edited by Barry G; 19th May 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Old 19th May 2012
Unbacked Youngster

Equinox knows what a horse looks like

Keeping my fingers crossed for her for a happy outcome!