Equine World UK
Countrybase Store
Pet Web Site

Go Back   Equine World UK > Breeding Horses > Breeding Horses And Rearing Youngsters

Notices

Old 15th April 2012
Unbacked Youngster

Equinox knows what a horse looks like
Default Playing the waiting game, need some tips

Okay so am a little bit on tenderhooks now. One of the mini donkeys in the field is due anytime now (we think).

It's hard to say as no one knows exactly when the jack got to her. But I've been there almost a year and she was already showing when I arrived so that's 11 months since I arrived. I know they can go 12 - 14 months.

Her belly has dropped and you can see some movement. I can't get close to her often as she's very nervous as not handled by the owner so I can't check for milk, feel her back end to see if it's spongey or take her temp.

All the others were having a good sniff round her tail area last week and, as she was lifting her tail.. I thought it was happening but checked back on her an hour later and nothing, so I guess it was just gas!

Anyone got any tips that might give me something to go on, keeping in mind I can only get to about 3 foot of her, but I have gotten her into a smaller enclosure where the field shelter is. Her owner has straw made up in there and hay for her as well.

Would it be a good idea to put my pony mare in with her or better to keep her on her own? Thinking if she has another girly around it might settle her...
Old 15th April 2012
Schoolmaster

CityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horses

i would put her by herself but perhaps if she worries about being by herself have a nice calm and friendly pony near by to help her settle but i personally wouldnt want to foal a mare in a heard, or big field especially if the mare is quite nervy of people she will probably only be worse when she has a foal on the ground and you will need to chcek the foal out

are donkey foals still called foals or is there a special donkey name?

Old 15th April 2012
Unbacked Youngster

she doesn't worry at all being by herself. the enclosure is inside the big well grazed field where I've the others in; it's about 3 acres though so they are not always within sight.

I advised the owner to move her there as Jack/gelding donkeys will often kill babies including horse/pony foals. Just wish he'd done it sooner as then I could have worked with her a bit and got a little more trust.

they are still called foals no special names.

She rejected her last foal from what I've been told, so a bit worried about her, not sure what the owner did last time but will call him immediately when the time comes if he's not about.

Old 15th April 2012
Schoolmaster

CityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horsesCityLights knows a lot about horses

would defintately get her in a small area if she rejected the last one that way you can get in there and be a bit more hands on if needs be and if left alone with the foal she may accept it more easily, i bet donkey foals are so cut,e i love when horses are born and thier ears are all squished i bet donkeys are even cuter!

Old 15th April 2012
Schoolmaster

BEX101 knows a thing or two about horsesBEX101 knows a thing or two about horsesBEX101 knows a thing or two about horsesBEX101 knows a thing or two about horsesBEX101 knows a thing or two about horsesBEX101 knows a thing or two about horses

If she rejected the last foal you could do with her in a smaller area. Looking from afar, just before they foal their stomach can go "V" shaped. Imagine its head and legs getting into position up in the pelvis so all the babies weight is "sat" in one point pushing the belly into a V shape. If the foal isnt ready, its on its back, lower down in the belly like in a hammock. Not sure if tat makes sense.
Increased tail lifting, wind, and sometimes pushing their bum against things is a sign. Also yawning, not totally sure why but they do.
Looser droppings
Any change in behaviour can be a sign though so watch her carefully.

Old 15th April 2012
Unbacked Youngster

update, just back from the field, and got some pics of her belly (my camera pretended it was taking photos but wasn't so only got a few) and she let me right up to have a feel about too. She's not yet `jelly` on the backside, nothings happening under the tail ie no discharge/plug, but I can't get to see her teats... the foals moved again and is even lower now. I'll pop a couple of pics up on the picture thread if you guys want to have a look and see what you think? thanks for the tips though.. didn't know about that V shape and it looks like shes definitely going that way - very hammocky.

I can only do so much as she's not mine, but have told the owner to call me if there are any signs or he needs help.