For those that love horses

horse

horse forums

horse chat, horse forums

Go Back   Equine World UK > Horse Care And Health > Horse Care

Old 22nd February 2012
Head Trainer

Lorraine can tell one end of a horse from the other
Default Magnetic Therapy For Horses - Myth Or Fact?

http://www.equine-world.co.uk/article_read.asp?id=671

Share your views here and/or on Equine World UK's facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EquineWorldUK

. . Apache . . . . . Tibbs . . . . . . . Dazzle . . . . . Dizzy . . .
Old 22nd February 2012
Unbacked Youngster

lozy can tell one end of a horse from the other

Before I start, I am not saying magnets do not work in some way, far from it. I have seen magnetic boots etc used successfully on various horses with success.
My big however is the marketing of the magnets attracting blood to a sight and re aliening magnetism is really scientifically off.
Yes blood is magnetic, as that is like the whole basis of MRI's etc. However the iron is incorporated into blood in a way that is actually repelked by magnets (diamagnetic). This is all to do with the spin states of the electrons held within the pthalocyanin type structures. So if it is claimed that magnets work because they attract blood to injured area and reline everything they are wrong. I mean if that ways the case we would like explode if we got MRI's as the magnets are so much more powerful than those in magnetic products.
I have looked before and(although I am happy to be pointed in the right direction) there is no independent scientific study to prove this. Apart from anecdotal evidence there is only vague statistics to prove this. Stats can be manipulated to say pretty much anything and anecdotal implies it does something(whether psychological or otherwise) but it is NOT the science they claim it to be.

1 members voted this a Good Reply.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lightly Schooled Youngster

helena can tell one end of a horse from the otherhelena can tell one end of a horse from the other

In total agreement with Lozy on this one. Where I have seen them used in cases of arthritis, I believe it is the warmth of having a boot on that makes the difference, not the magnets. I have had just as good results on my horse using stable bandages as the guy in the stable next door who spent 70 on magnetic boots.

Old 22nd February 2012
Well Schooled Horse

Zeitgeist Mom knows a thing or two about horsesZeitgeist Mom knows a thing or two about horsesZeitgeist Mom knows a thing or two about horsesZeitgeist Mom knows a thing or two about horses
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeitgeist Mom

Not that I know anything of the science of it - but if blood is actually repelled by magnets (as per Lozy's post) then is it possible they work to help reduce swelling and are therefore in a way an anti-inflammatory?

Old 22nd February 2012
Unbacked Youngster

lozy can tell one end of a horse from the other

Sorry ZM, if i leave the whole ferra/diamagnetic stuff out of it and go back to the MRI idea. An MRI has magnets that are massively more powerful than any magnet on any wraps or such. If the blood was attracted or repelled in such away that would match the pushing toxins away claim, if a horse or person or whatever went in an MRI they would like explode. I am not totally dismissing magnets, they may well have some properties that help relieve symptoms, but they way in which they claim is just not scientifically true.

Does that make sense, I should have made it more clear. English is sooo not my strong point! x

Old 23rd February 2012
Veteran Schoolmaster

My Crazy Clan knows a thing or two about horsesMy Crazy Clan knows a thing or two about horsesMy Crazy Clan knows a thing or two about horsesMy Crazy Clan knows a thing or two about horses

I have heard they work but like everything doesn't mean it works for every animals, like like humans, works for some but not for others.

Old 23rd March 2012
Well Schooled Horse

The Little Magician can tell one end of a horse from the otherThe Little Magician can tell one end of a horse from the other

I am not too sure, but am erring on the side of believing that they do work.

My experience was, (Approx 8 yrs ago) I was working in a tack shop and during a quiet period I sat on a bench reading this brochure on how the magnetic straps work, whilst reading I placed them on my left knee/thigh, just because I didnt want to put them on the floor. After about 15 mins of reading this quite in depth brochure I sat there and thought, what a load of crap! Then I suddenly noticed my left leg had warmed up considerably (alot more than my right one) I picked up the straps and had a look at them, then noticed my left leg itching where the magnets had been put, I rolled my trouser leg up and saw some brighter pinker spots on my leg, when I examined the straps the brighter pinker spots corresponded with where the magnets were on the straps.

I decided to do a little experiment, I have arthritis in my knees from a car accident years ago, so over the next few days I would rest those straps on my left knee area for 10 - 15 mins at a time, to see if it was just a coincidence, by the end of that week my left knee was quite aggravated and sore, I decided to stop because cleary something was happening because of the magnets, however I wasnt convinced that it was a good result.

A few years ago I purchased some magnetic pads for my horse (as a result of desperately trying to find something to help his discomfort, with his back muscles) anyway they havent actually ever been used on him (as I found something else to solve the issue), but I have used them when I hurt my back muscles, and I can honestly say they did help with the pain I was in.

So my conclusion, I think if you are already in pain, then they can help. Whereas if there is a medical issue that actually isnt causing a problem at the time of magnetic application, then it can cause more harm than good.